Author Topic: what inspires you?  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Andy!

• I live here
  • VR6
Re: what inspires you?
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2008, 08:38 »
The above is all true of course,which makes me wonder,why the cup mirrors? :wink:

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2008, 15:38 »
well thats much appreciated! i'll admit in the early days of my project i did get quite a few pm's saying how much people enjoyed what i was doing but its always nice to know people have taken something from it. its kinda weird because i have learnt everything on my own, using my car as a test bed. so its funny when i've overheard people at shows etc assuming my car is the product of other peoples input. just goes to show if i can do it on a budget, so can others.

No arse licking just apreciation from fellow users and unlike a certain forum thats been mentioned alot round here lately ....

not picking on you here stu, but being honest peoples perception of the 'scene' is half the reason i've been asking a few questions really. see we all know each other on here fairly well. even if it is just through reading each others posts. i often think people get the wrong idea of what people on other forums are all about, e38 to name one.
having had the opportunity to work on some of the so called 'scene' cars and in doing so got to know the owners, they are just like the rest of us. have the same passion, if not more so, to push boundries and build the car they want. even if they haven't done the bodywork themselves or done the engine conversion, doesn't mean they didn't have the ideas, drive and vision to go through with their plans.
its almost like they are cursed with having been around for as long as they have, have got a name for producing nice cars and so on and they get branded as 'scene' and too big for their own boots. all of the people i've had the chance to get to know have, if anything, been more humble about they accolades bestowed on them.... unfortunately its the forums that create the bull sh!t and hype around them.

i think what i was trying to work out was that people seem to have strong opinions about ''the scene'' so i wondered how people were forming these opinions? now i wasn't looing to take the piss out of anyone or anything, i was genuinely interested.
for me the whole basis that we all own VW's makes us a scene, just like i'm sure train collectors have their own scene and their own views on it (for example). so i was wondering if people that aren't going to VW shows or reading the two biggest (well known?) VW magazines, do they have a different perspective of what they see the scene as, compared to someone who reads the mags and goes to the shows?

it was a comment by somone who is heavily into their VW's and who would seem to have a strong opinion of 'the scene' which got me thinking. it was about something they'd seen that they liked, as though it was the first time they'd seen it. now for me i was a bit surprised, as it was something that has been growing in popularity for easily 2 years, simply reading the odd magazine or going to the odd show would be enough to have noticed this trend, so it made me wonder where they were getting their views on the scene from. does that make sense?

i just sometimes see it as an easy option to blame 'the scene' for some trends, opinions etc that doesn't fit what one person is interested in. now being team grumpy, alot annoys me! however once you dig a bit deeper and ignore the morons on almost every forum, there is alot of people doing alot of good out there. its just that often the morons have the loudest voices and the highest post counts.

i don't really have a point to make, like i said i'm just interested to see where/how people form their opinions of the VW world we delve into. i'm sure if i asked people to decsribe the scene, there would be alot of different answers as its whatever it means to you.... either that or it would decsend into a load of rubbish and arguements! this way i've got a better understanding of what people do/read/see etc without the crap.

for me, i ignore the people that annoy me and try to get to the roots of why people are building what they are building. i've only been to one show so far this year (ultimate dubs) but i'm already excited about the coming year as i had alot of fun at UD. getting to know more people has made me realise there are alot less chequebook cars and trailer queens than people seem to think. its just the idiots branding cars as such through either ignorance, jealousy, admiration, or something else. we all love a good b!tch, just sometimes its misguided.

sorry about the essay! roll on the rest of the year and think positive! :smiley:
« Last Edit: 15 March 2008, 16:03 by ...joe »
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2008, 16:08 »
G6 LTD -  :cool:

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #23 on: 15 March 2008, 16:46 »

Maybe its the other forum users that create the bullsh!t , the people that do the arse licking or the name calling that give the perception of the "scene"

fair play for looking a little deeper

As long as people are personally happy with their cars and build them or have them built  for themselves and not to look good to other people or change something because they get negative feedback (even if they like it )  thats what im into
« Last Edit: 15 March 2008, 16:59 by [Oo=w=oO] Stu »

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #24 on: 15 March 2008, 16:57 »
it was a comment by somone who is heavily into their VW's and who would seem to have a strong opinion of 'the scene' which got me thinking. it was about something they'd seen that they liked, as though it was the first time they'd seen it. now for me i was a bit surprised, as it was something that has been growing in popularity for easily 2 years, simply reading the odd magazine or going to the odd show would be enough to have noticed this trend, so it made me wonder where they were getting their views on the scene from. does that make sense?

Was that by any chance me and my comment on the Diamond Stitching on that interior shot you put on facebook? I suspect it was. In my deffence I'm not really an interior man, when I look at cars I normally gloss over the parts about the interior as I'm more interested in the oily stuff. I have to say though that pic made me think I should perhaps pay more attention to the interior stuff as it seems some are done really well. I think I'm gaining a new found interest in it through taking up photography. I was only thinking the other day (after commenting on that pic) that I'm looking forward to shows during the day so I can start trying out interior shots of cars and it got me thinking about what sort of things I'd like to shoot.

who would seem to have a strong opinion of 'the scene'

Do I? I guess maybe I do. I think a lot of it comes from me being all about the oily bits and for me sometimes I don't "Get" a lot of the mods being done that to me would compromise the driving experience. I did post up about the brightly coloured wheels and I'll stand by my comment that I realy don't like the pink wheels but I did like the green ones. In fact that car with the green wheels has given me an idea for the camper for this season. Watch this space!!!!

Peace out.

Nick

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #25 on: 15 March 2008, 17:56 »
.... and for me sometimes I don't "Get" a lot of the mods being done that to me would compromise the driving experience.

Most of the mods on the full on show cars in the scene, at least on the more 'bling' cars rather than the motorsport themed ones do compromise the handling of course, but they sure can be nice too look at and appreciate the work....  :smiley:

:smiley:

P.S. Joe, Keep up the good work!

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2008, 19:05 »
ha ha nick, no it wasn't you but the diamond stitching was a good example now you mention it! and no i don't think you have an overly strong opinion of the scene. it was some other dude at ultimate dubs that was in the bar.

yeah i'm not a fan of the pink wheels, reminds me of those lame add-ons you can buy in halfords! i guess this is an example of people trying to shake things up for the sake of shaking things up!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #27 on: 15 March 2008, 19:12 »
ha ha nick, no it wasn't you but the diamond stitching was a good example now you mention it! and no i don't think you have an overly strong opinion of the scene. it was some other dude at ultimate dubs that was in the bar.

Ah well, glad I could provide another good example  :laugh: :smiley: :laugh:

Nick

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 15 March 2008, 19:14 »
no worries, but it does also prove that some people look for certain things, so without knowing they may be judging a car without really knowing the background (not saying you were judging that audi nick :P )..... ahh i feel like i'm just opening a big ol' can of worms here!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #29 on: 15 March 2008, 19:19 »
An heres me thinking you were asking the other questions for market research

do some advertising for your trimming services