Author Topic: VAQ Diff not working, Possible?  (Read 6314 times)

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
Re: VAQ Diff not working, Possible?
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2023, 11:25 »
thanks all,

Its booked in Wednesday 

Offline Rich62

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2023, 13:01 »
I find that mine is the same as you've described in the first post, my car is at 17K and 20 plate.
I'm currently putting it down to having the original P zeros on the car and the fact that the roads are either wet, cold or slippy. Those tyres really don't like to put the power down unless it's dry and warm!

I'll be fitting some PS4S in the summer and trying again.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 14:34 by Rich62 »

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2023, 17:28 »
See other recent posts on this subject including my own recent experiences.
My dealer insists VAQ is a Borg Warner sealed for life item and does not appear on any service schedule.
Therefore they won’t touch front diffs unlike Haldex.
Their workshop techs confirm this.

As far as I’m concerned, they will continue to service the car and I will continue my VW extended warranty.
Maybe I’m wrong but “ if it ain’t broke, etc”

All that proves is that they haven't read the VW tech literature on the subject...

Borg Warner make the Haldex units & the front "VAQ/PP" is only a modified "rear/R" unit...

& VW do state the service intervals.....I'd post screen shots from the ERWIN books that I have, but this website doesn't like direct uploads...

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2023, 19:35 »
I’ve been through all the various posts and topics via Google and am aware of Erwin advice, etc but what can you do if the dealership says no?
As a matter of interest it would be good to take a poll of members who have a Performance to find out what the majority are aware of or have found in their own experience of this.
Have to say it’s all a bit bizarre, no?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 28 February 2023, 19:48 »
I’ve been through all the various posts and topics via Google and am aware of Erwin advice, etc but what can you do if the dealership says no?

Easy, three choices:-

1. DIY using the ERWIN books,
2. Show the ERWIN books to the dealership
3. Find a different dealership

:cool:

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 28 February 2023, 20:08 »
Not terribly difficult to do DIY, you really need VCDS to perform a pump relearn though.

But then again I have access to a ramp.

I would recommend making sure you can get the fill plug loose first before dropping the oil out then finding you can't get new oil in!!

Removing the pump is straightforward, just be careful with the gauze filter and only nip the small Torx bolts up which secure the filter in place.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2023, 22:00 »
I had my VAQ done last March at year three.

I have a yearly service which I've made sure now coincides with my MoT so all done at the same time.

I asked the nice young lady on the service desk who I seem to deal with every visit for it to be done, she didn't seem to have a problem with this and I think she understood as I'm pretty sure she also drives a performance VAG (Cupra I think), when I came to pick the car up she went over the invoice but when we got to the VAQ service we both looked at each other as it was listed as 'DSG service carried out as requested'.... car was booked in for first thing the next day to have diff done... only paid for the VAQ.

She showed me a copy of my car's digital service record (they only 'do' pdf's sent to my email - no paper) which has it listed.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2023, 16:07 »
Took it to vw, and computer says no.

But on the plus side they washed it for no good reason, after I spent 3 days getting it how I want 2 months ago!

I'm sure the tatt sponges used will have put a load of scratches on it.  will check at the weekend.

So not very productive.

Will try oil and pump filter cleaning along with seals and a relearn at some point.
« Last Edit: 02 March 2023, 16:10 by EB2019 »

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2023, 22:47 »
I find that mine is the same as you've described in the first post, my car is at 17K and 20 plate.
I'm currently putting it down to having the original P zeros on the car and the fact that the roads are either wet, cold or slippy. Those tyres really don't like to put the power down unless it's dry and warm!

I'll be fitting some PS4S in the summer and trying again.

I have to agree with Rich here, really not a great time to trying to diagnose this between summer tyres hating the cold and wet & greasy roads.

Leave it for two more months and try to look into it then, it's easy to convince yourself there's something wrong if you haven't used it in a while and the conditions are different (maybe the conditions are the same since you last tried it).
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 03 March 2023, 12:19 »
Temps could definately be better, but I had used my previous mk7 with PS4's in light rain on track days and it still seemed to be better.  Perhaps its just the last 4 cars were RWD inbetween my mk7 and this one?   

I'm on PS5s now, which are ok, nothing special. When I tested it a week or so ago, it was sunny and dry 11 or 12 degrees, I had been driving 45 mins. 

Thinking out loud, 
The only other thing IIRC was my old MK7 2014 always seemed like the diff or throttle/power was steering angle dependant, so if you had a lot of steering angle it reduced the power and as you straigthened the steering it seemed to offer more power delivery. I had a look back over my old videos of track days and you can see it happen on corner exit.  But the 7.5 doesn't seem to limit much power based on steering angle so it feels like its pushing much more, and I translated this to a failed diff controller or something and not perhaps a change in power delivery?  it could be all in my head?  :grin: :laugh:   But I will clean the filter and relearn anyway.

But as I say coming from rwd for a good few years probably plays a part in the heightened sense of understeer
« Last Edit: 03 March 2023, 12:39 by EB2019 »