Author Topic: GTI logo on Nav screen  (Read 8220 times)

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
GTI logo on Nav screen
« on: 31 July 2013, 09:43 »
Quick question for new owners.

When does the splash screen with the VW GTI logo come up on your cars? On mine I remember seeing it a couple of times but I can't remember under what circumstances it did so.

Today for example, turned ignition on and it went straight to radio, which was on when I switched off ignition last night. No logo displayed.

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: GTI logo on Nav screen
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2013, 10:21 »
Hi Joe,

I'm sure mine comes up on the screen when I start the ignition but i'll check it out and get back to you  :smiley:

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2013, 10:38 »
Hi Joe,

I'm sure mine comes up on the screen when I start the ignition but i'll check it out and get back to you  :smiley:

Great! Thanks

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2013, 10:55 »
Joe, any chance this is something to do with switching off the ignition with the radio still on?  As in the auto resume thingy skips the splash in this case perhaps?

I have a question for you chaps too.  Do any of you have keyless and the pro nav?  If the engine is running and the radio is on, and you open the drivers door, what happens to the nav unit?  Does it stay on or does it cut out?  A skoda manual I found for a similar unit claims if the door is opened while the engine is running the nav will cut off.

Here is the skoda manual description for clarity:
After switching on the unit, the last audio source and operating mode that was active before switching off will be played.

If your vehicle is fitted with the KESSY system, the unit will switch off automatically after the engine is turned off and the door is opened.

If you open the driver's door before switching off the engine, the unit will also switch off.

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2013, 11:08 »
Thanks Bill, could be that.

On the keyless side sorry, I can't comment because I don't have it.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2013, 11:17 »
Joe, any chance this is something to do with switching off the ignition with the radio still on?  As in the auto resume thingy skips the splash in this case perhaps?

I have a question for you chaps too.  Do any of you have keyless and the pro nav?  If the engine is running and the radio is on, and you open the drivers door, what happens to the nav unit?  Does it stay on or does it cut out?  A skoda manual I found for a similar unit claims if the door is opened while the engine is running the nav will cut off.

Here is the skoda manual description for clarity:

After switching on the unit, the last audio source and operating mode that was active before switching off will be played.

If your vehicle is fitted with the KESSY system, the unit will switch off automatically after the engine is turned off and the door is opened.

If you open the driver's door before switching off the engine, the unit will also switch off.

Found this out this morning. It switches off when you open the door

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2013, 11:19 »
Found this out this morning. It switches off when you open the door

Dammit!

Why would they do that? :angry:

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2013, 11:22 »
Yeah that does seem a bit stupid...maybe I'm missing the point?  Does this mean that unless a key is within the vicinity of the car, it won't be possible to leave a passenger in the car listening to music, or is it just referring specifically to the nav system itself?
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2013, 11:24 »
Yeah that does seem a bit stupid...maybe I'm missing the point?  Does this mean that unless a key is within the vicinity of the car, it won't be possible to leave a passenger in the car listening to music, or is it just referring specifically to the nav system itself?

Going off Skoda the nav unit can be turned on manually without the ignition being on or the doors being shut (but will auto shut off after 30mins).

Regarding the door, I can't see a reason why the unit should shut off if the door is opened.  Other cars turn the radio/nav off if the ignition is turned off but why with the door?

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2013, 11:28 »
Going off Skoda the nav unit can be turned on manually without the ignition being on or the doors being shut (but will auto shut off after 30mins).

Regarding the door, I can't see a reason why the unit should shut off if the door is opened.  Other cars turn the radio/nav off if the ignition is turned off but why with the door?

OK that's not too bad then, at least somebody left in the car can still listen to music.  Yeah, I agree, doesn't make sense that opening the door would shut the unit off.  What if you stop at a lay-by to dump some rubbish in a bin, leaving the engine running?  When you get back in the nav unit will be off...ridiculous.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep