Author Topic: GTI logo on Nav screen  (Read 8221 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: GTI logo on Nav screen
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2013, 11:38 »
OK that's not too bad then, at least somebody left in the car can still listen to music.  Yeah, I agree, doesn't make sense that opening the door would shut the unit off.  What if you stop at a lay-by to dump some rubbish in a bin, leaving the engine running?  When you get back in the nav unit will be off...ridiculous.

Yeah.  I dunno if they are trying to force people to avoid leaving the key in the car unattended, as there would be no point now since the radio/nav will shut off as soon as you open the door anyway.  I agree its silly though, could be loads of times you want to quickly open the door (like parking or having something handed to you).

The radio shutting off is an inconvenience.  If the navigation shuts off and has to be restarted from scratch that might prove to be truly annoying!  I hope it remembers what it was navigation too before it cut off.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2013, 11:43 »
The boot logo only appears I think if it's been a while since you last started the car.
I think the unit stays in "standby" mode for a while after you switch off, presumably to aid faster restart time. I can hear mine still humming (cooling fan?) after I switch off the ignition. RNS units in the MK6 were the same.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2013, 11:48 »
Yeah.  I dunno if they are trying to force people to avoid leaving the key in the car unattended, as there would be no point now since the radio/nav will shut off as soon as you open the door anyway.  I agree its silly though, could be loads of times you want to quickly open the door (like parking or having something handed to you).

The radio shutting off is an inconvenience.  If the navigation shuts off and has to be restarted from scratch that might prove to be truly annoying!  I hope it remembers what it was navigation too before it cut off.

I agree, the radio is an inconvenience, but f the nav resets, that could be a right pain.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2013, 12:09 »
As an aside, the sat nav pro is a brilliant piece of kit. Loaded my music on to an SD card and it works great! The sat nav is really nice giving you route choices and the 3d graphics are very good. Touch screen seems very intuitive and quick to respond. Overall a really nice bit of equipment.  :smiley:

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2013, 13:58 »
Right, I tried mine out there and I don't know what you guys are talking about! The Nav does not switch off if you open the door. It only switches off on door open if you've already switched off the ignition. With engine / ignition on it doesn't switch off.
I have keyless too btw.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 31 July 2013, 14:10 »
Right, I tried mine out there and I don't know what you guys are talking about! The Nav does not switch off if you open the door. It only switches off on door open if you've already switched off the ignition. With engine / ignition on it doesn't switch off.
I have keyless too btw.

I'm sure your right Joe. To be honest I couldn't remember if the ignition was on or off this morning, I just recall the screen switching off  :smiley:

Running Man

« Reply #16 on: 31 July 2013, 15:11 »
I have keyless too btw.

That's good to hear cheers Joe  :cool:

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2013, 12:08 »
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the VW/GTI logo just never comes up on my screen when I switch on the ignition or turn on the screen if it's been off.

Can one of you other owners let me know under what circumstances yours comes up please? I just want to make sure it's not faulty before I call VW.

Thanks

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2013, 12:27 »
I can't speak out of experience yet, but it sounds like if you use your car regularly, you will never see the logo as the unit defaults to the function you we using last.  Maybe if left a few days it will show, or if the battery is disconnected?

Though it'd b a nice touch, do we really need reminding that we are just starting up a VW every time?!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2013, 12:41 »
Though it'd b a nice touch, do we really need reminding that we are just starting up a VW every time?!

If you've been waiting as long as we have, a reminder might be necessary to let us know the car has arrived and we are not dreaming...............