Author Topic: Sad having 2 GTI's?  (Read 14778 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Sad having 2 GTI's?
« on: 26 July 2013, 22:10 »
Missus will be changing her car next year (currently driving an Alfa Guilietta 1.4 petrol (0-60 7.8)).  We've been looking at the following cars:

Audi A3 1.8T Quattro Sportback (driving tomorrow)
BMW 125d M Sport
Golf GTD (driving tomorrow)
Seat Leon FR 1.8 TSI

Suddenly thought, what about another GTI? She loves GTI's as much as I do - but is it too sad to have two of the same car?  When we were younger we always had two GTI's (mk 4s) but since then we've mixed it up every time one of us changed - and if we got her one it would be White, 18s, DSG & 5 door (so the 'opposite' to mine) - Opinions??
« Last Edit: 26 July 2013, 22:14 by matchboy »
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Running Man

Re: Sad having 2 GTI's?
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2013, 22:19 »
I was going to keep my mk 6 GTI for the wife, but for various reasons now not going to happen  :cry:

Though for you, moneybags  :whistle:  if you can do it bloody good one  :cool:

Very, very different from a moron getting two bmw diesel cars  :wink:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2013, 22:21 »
I was going to keep my mk 6 GTI for the wife, but for various reasons now not going to happen  :cry:

Though for you, moneybags  :whistle:  if you can do it bloody good one  :cool:

Very, very different from a moron getting two bmw diesel cars  :wink:

:grin:on both counts!

Hers is a company car, I only wish I could afford them both!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2013, 22:28 »
I don't see it as a problem at all Mark. It's such a good all round car that it suits everyone's needs. Just think about the dilemma each day, do I take the white one or the red one  :grin: :grin:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2013, 22:30 »
I don't see it as a problem at all Mark. It's such a good all round car that it suits everyone's needs. Just think about the dilemma each day, do I take the white one or the red one  :grin: :grin:

:grin: it would certainly solve my issue with loving the white nearly as much as the TR  :grin:
Audi RS5 2018

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2013, 23:02 »
Is she loking hard at the performance or happy to have something a little different that will be fun in a different way, like an A3 cabriolet for this sun we're all enjoying right now, or a little pocket rocket like an A1 1.4TSI 180 S-line (that S-line interior looks amazing)?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2013, 23:06 »
Well if it makes you feel any better Mark, I'm gonna be keeping my current Mk6 GTi for a little bit longer (which also so happens to be a 'White' 5dr)..... so when the new Mk7 arrives in a couple of months I'm gonna be stuck with two near identical coloured GTi's on the drive!!!

I don't personally have a problem with it, but my wife is worried about what our friends & neighbours will say. They'll think we've gone 'Mad'.

If I was to pick an alternative from your list it would have to be the Beemer 125d M-Sport...
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Kingsley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2013, 23:07 »
Matching GTIs hhhhmmmm, not sure. A GTI and a GTD though, now your talking. A subtle but important difference.
Carbon Grey GTD on order

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2013, 23:12 »
For me, if I was buying two cars, I'd definitely get different ones.  I'd probably try to go more different than just a Golf and an A3 too (certainly not a GTD, is 90% identical).  Its a big outlay and I'd like more variety, if they are both the same it would kinda feel like you just got one car.  "Usually I drive a GTI but today I'm gonna drive a... err... GTI."  Know what I'm saying.  Its nice to drive something different if you feel the urge, and even if you decide the GTI is the better of the two cars you get to appreciate the GTI even more!

I'm anticipating a few "GTI is the best why would you get anything else!", "I never want to drive anything but a GTI!", "Two GTIs would be two completely different cars!" replies :tongue: :whistle: hehe.  Its just my opinion folks. :wink:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2013, 23:18 »
"Two GTIs would be two completely different cars!" replies :tongue: :whistle: hehe.  Its just my opinion folks. :wink:

Are you saying that a white GTI won't be completely different to a red GTI?  :tongue:

Variety is definitely a good thing, to be able to swap between a GTI and something completely different (and less practical) - Toyota MR2/Mazda MX5?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.