Author Topic: Sad having 2 GTI's?  (Read 14774 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: Sad having 2 GTI's?
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2013, 23:22 »
Is she loking hard at the performance or happy to have something a little different that will be fun in a different way, like an A3 cabriolet for this sun we're all enjoying right now, or a little pocket rocket like an A1 1.4TSI 180 S-line (that S-line interior looks amazing)?

We have a TT at the moment so soft top is out. We did consider the A1 but it's just a little too small (eg for taking the little one & her cousins out plus car seats etc!)

She has the same concerns about what people will say Gung-Ho.  And yes my preferred choice of the others is the 125d as its quick and economical.

And Bear I totally hear what you're saying about the variety.  But we've had lots of cars and I never wanted to drive any of them for more than a day when I had GTI's :laugh:

She wants a practical car monkeyhanger, so something fun eg 2 seater is out too.

Thanks for the opinions chaps! I suppose it boils down to one question - if I wasn't getting a GTI which one would she choose out of all of them....I'll give you 3 guesses what she said....!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2013, 23:53 »
Can understand the logic of having a daily which then lets you appreciate the GTI more when you jump in it to drive.
But can't fathom out the logic of having another decent car but not picking the GTI just so you can appreciate it when you get in it! If you know what I mean.

If you like the GTI go for it absolutely nothing wrong with having his n hers cars. Matching shellsuits as well?!  :laugh:Seriously though, its a great car and fulfils both your needs so why not?

I wouldn't be bothered one bit with neighbours / friends. I've never bought a car with their thoughts in mind. The car is for you not them. Would be interesting though if you went GTD as you would be in an ideal position to review both on merit.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2013, 00:02 »
But can't fathom out the logic of having another decent car but not picking the GTI just so you can appreciate it when you get in it! If you know what I mean.

No I can't fathom it either! :wink: That is the consequence, not the reason. :tongue:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2013, 00:12 »
Yeah I don't care what the neighbours think! I think nearer the time we'll have to drive at A3, the BMW and the GTI all in one day. Then ill let her decide as after all it's her car and she's paying for it through her tax!

I'm looking forward to driving the GTD tomorrow to see how it compares. Also it's DSG so that will be interesting.
Audi RS5 2018
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2013, 07:57 »
Yeah I don't care what the neighbours think! I think nearer the time we'll have to drive at A3, the BMW and the GTI all in one day. Then ill let her decide as after all it's her car and she's paying for it through her tax!

I'm looking forward to driving the GTD tomorrow to see how it compares. Also it's DSG so that will be interesting.

How far down the practical route are you prepared to go? Audi Q3? Very well specced (for an Audi) in all trim levels, as economical as that bodyshape class gets, lots of passenger room and available with some higher output engines. I considered that as my next car when Newcastle had 2 separate bouts of major flooding (one of which turned my 20 minute commute into a 7 hour ordeal).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2013, 09:50 »
Yes the Q3 is a serious contender. Had a look inside one the other day, was very impressed - and not too big eg Chelsea tractor. But they are expensive!
Audi RS5 2018

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2013, 10:05 »
I have a few cars. One of the reason we never got two the same is it helps keep you grounded.
What I meen by this is you get use to a car if driven daily.
If you then drive something else for a week getting back into the GTI brings it all back.
Its one of the ways ive stopped myself getting use to a car therefore borred of it or wanting to mod it. Which is what always happened to me 20 years back. As odd as it sounds its actually saved me money doing it this way.
I currently hace two dailys of my own a TDI and a GTI and the last week been running the TDI.
I was smilling this morning when I took the GTI out to go check my garage workshop was ok this morning.
I could not own two exactly the same cars but thats just me.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 27 July 2013, 10:16 »
I have a few cars. One of the reason we never got two the same is it helps keep you grounded.
What I meen by this is you get use to a car if driven daily.
If you then drive something else for a week getting back into the GTI brings it all back.
Its one of the ways ive stopped myself getting use to a car therefore borred of it or wanting to mod it. Which is what always happened to me 20 years back. As odd as it sounds its actually saved me money doing it this way.
I currently hace two dailys of my own a TDI and a GTI and the last week been running the TDI.
I was smilling this morning when I took the GTI out to go check my garage workshop was ok this morning.
I could not own two exactly the same cars but thats just me.

That's a very good point, I hear you!
Audi RS5 2018

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 27 July 2013, 17:46 »
Ok, so back from car testing. No go on the 125d, driving that next Saturday. BMW tell me lead times are 8-10 weeks however for a new car  :shocked:

Drive the A3 - what a disappointment. Top of the range petrol (bar the S3) and it was sluggish and seriously dull to drive. The missus was gutted as that was her fav, so that's out. Interior wise - sorry but I didn't see any major differences between that and a golf. Plus the audi interface is the same old same old from years back. The auto box wasn't responsive at all (even in sport mode) and the car itself made no satisfying noises when accelerating hard.  Very disappointed in it.

Onto the GTD then - much, much better than the A3. Felt faster than the audi even though its supposedly not, and made a nice grunt when you put your foot down. Much more fun to drive than the audi as well.  Very impressed by it and thought the DSG was a much better gearbox than in the audi.  Very comfy even in sport, IMO the ACC isn't necessary. Downside - don't think a DSG is relevant to a diesel - would have been much better in a manual.  DSG should be for the GTI.

Bottom line is though - its not a GTI. GTD buyers will not be disappointed at all as its a great car - just doesn't have the raw power and 'smile' factor that I got from the GTI. Saying that, it's still on the list for the wife as its a great car and because she does a lot of miles so consumption is a factor. Ill be interested to see what the real world figures are, IMO if its not getting 55mpg then it doesn't outweigh the higher price of diesel. Just for the record, this demo was averaging 37 which is very good given the amount of test drives whereby it has been driven hard for the majority of the time.

Great motor though. Not for me, but you GTD boys will not be disappointed!
Audi RS5 2018

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2013, 17:59 »
I wouldn't say it is said, but I would say its pointless to have 2 cars the same !

As someone said earlier you loose the sense of occasion, always better to have one daily grind car and one more fun car.  Someone near me has 2 merc a class, and worse they are the same colour !  Now that is sad..

If diesel is a must, why not go for something a bit different like a convertible diesel then. You have all bases covered?  Personally I wouldn't buy 2 very similar cars, variety is the spice of life  :rolleyes:
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2