Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71579 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #420 on: 27 February 2012, 15:11 »
Looks good that route Sam, elevation is much better suited to my excess weight :P Shame it's so far away!!

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #421 on: 27 February 2012, 18:29 »
Just had a quick look at Lee Quarry.  There's no way I could do that with my excuse for a bike at the moment, if only for the reason I don't have any confidence in it.

Lee quarry isnt that bad, I managed to ride it on my old knackered Claude butler with no suspension and crappy cable rim brakes (squeeling like a mad seal all the way lol). This was the first time I had been on a mountain bike for a number of years and I kept up with my mates on their more expensive kit pretty easily. Its not really a very good spot for riding if you want to do distance but the little DH tracks are pretty good fun even if they are not as hard as they claim to be. Going down there this Sunday for a play all being well so I can try and test my new full face helmet  :grin:. The biggest problem there is the bloody long hill up but thats made up for by the side tracks on the way back down.

If you like DH and jumps then there is a couple of little tracks at Witton park in Blackburn (see http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/upload/pdf/Witton_map_20091006100836.pdf if you go to the lookout in billinge wood you will find them) that are good fun for a play without being too hard and if you park at the main car park its a reasonably easy uphill to the woods and a good downhill on the way back down once you have had your fun though you have to have your eye out for dog walkers etc.

Theres also Healey Nab near Chorley thats got a pretty small but bloody good fun set of DH routes (http://www.moredirt.co.uk/trail_info.php?id=395) and there is more than enough tracks and paths surrounding the DH bit to keep distance riders happy. Again, the trails are not particularly hard unless you go the black routes but they definately help build your skill levels up and you can carry some wicked speed once you work out where you are going.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #422 on: 27 February 2012, 18:44 »
Looks good that route Sam, elevation is much better suited to my excess weight :P Shame it's so far away!!

Yer it was easy climbing bar the insane headwind. The climbs in around Loughborough are pretty hardcore alot of the time, basically everything around luff is up hill as im pretty convinced the town sits almost at sea level  :laugh:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #423 on: 27 February 2012, 22:07 »
I think I need two sets of these to fit the HS33's?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/brake_clamps/magura_evo2_brake_adaptor_kit/c74p10934.html

Pretty sure these are what I need, think I shall order 2 sets  :smiley:

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #424 on: 27 February 2012, 22:50 »
Sorry but I hated Lee Quarry. If you like daft jumps and short steep drops then it's okay but it's not flowing and I prefer XC TBH. Just each to his own on that. Several of the guys there were heading over to Cragg as they said it was better

We had quite a few people heading up our DH lines as well due to poor signs :grin:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline GOLF_STU

• I live here
  • THE_GIT
« Reply #425 on: 29 February 2012, 22:45 »
me at chicksands on my scott voltage  :cool:

fear is temporary, regret lasts forever...
V TEC KICKED IN Y'ALL!!!

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #426 on: 29 February 2012, 22:49 »
My rim brakes arrived today.  I need new adaptors to fit them to the bike, pads AND bloody hydraulic cable for the rear!

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #427 on: 01 March 2012, 17:35 »
got another toy coming tomorrow,just got myself ANOTHER hardtail lol
specialized hardrock pro disc in silver and pretty cheap happy days ,may have to sell one of the others now haha

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #428 on: 11 March 2012, 16:16 »
Anyone have a ride this weekend, lovely weather for it

Just got back from swinley forest, 11 miles and lots of trails ridden!

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #429 on: 11 March 2012, 16:20 »
Yep, been out Friday, Saturday and today. 45 miles total :cool:
I bought some Five Ten shoes last week and what a difference they made. They grip to my flats like nothing else :cool: Also converting my bike to 2 x 9 this week as am struggling on some of the large climbs  :sad:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...