Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 70777 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #950 on: 24 March 2014, 10:25 »
Got me and some of the boys booked in for a lift day at Antur Stiniog followed by Cannock on the way home the following day. This may mark the end of my enduro but gonna prep her to f**k to at least give her a fighting chance.  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #951 on: 24 April 2014, 20:22 »
Yep, completely battered my enduro and Antur but was worth every single run! Blew the front shock, rear mech is buggered and the rear shock aint to clever either. So, I took the rational response and bought a bonkers expensive bike that my mate just so happened to have in his unit.

2013 Norco Sight.. 2.5k retail, £400 worth of extras for a price that any sane mountainbiker wouldn't be able to turn down.

Well, that's my summer sorted!

Offline luke

• I live here
  • When in doubt, whip it out!
« Reply #952 on: 26 April 2014, 09:22 »
I've just bought a claud butler hard tail, only bought for the frame and rock shox forks, starting to ride just over 4 miles to work and using the map my ride app and hoping to see improvements over the next few weeks/months and will eventually build it up to do more trails and ride at Cannock chase
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline Dan n Nic

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #953 on: 06 June 2014, 21:29 »
Ridden locally regularly for the past few years, also done Afan. Rode Swinley Forest for the first time today, and absolutely LOVED every minute of it.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #954 on: 30 September 2014, 08:45 »
Rampage this weekend. What the actual f**k!?

For those who have no idea what i'm talking about...

Photo-epic of qualifications: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/red-bull-rampage-2014-qualifiers-part-deux-photo-epic.html

Photo-epic of finals: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/red-bull-rampage-2014-finally-the-finals-photo-epic.html

And just in case you cant be arsed to click through, a few awesome shots...

They were backflipping that last one in the final, but none of the finals shots give such a stark view of just how big that canyon gap is  :shocked:

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #955 on: 30 September 2014, 18:51 »
Got me and some of the boys booked in for a lift day at Antur Stiniog followed by Cannock on the way home the following day. This may mark the end of my enduro but gonna prep her to f**k to at least give her a fighting chance.  :smiley:

How did you find Stiniog? I went a few weeks back. Quite a different experience and gave you a great chance to perfect your technique.

Offline scottv6

• Here all the time
« Reply #956 on: 17 January 2015, 15:02 »
Bit of a noob to biking in this day and age, havnt been riding for the last 10 years or so since i was a kid but fancyed getting back into it again. Iv just bought a part project of ebay and needs wheels, and the front has cable disk brakes which are new to me, do i need a particular type and size disk for them or does any fit, and the rear is v brakes can i put wheels on the rear that have a disk on and use with v brakes if thats all i can get hold of, any help would be great. :-)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #957 on: 19 January 2015, 10:01 »
Can you send us a pic of the front fork? The mounting bracket (if it has one) should say disk diameter on it. If there isn't one, I would say it would be 180mm (It *could* be 160mm as it is cable). If you can't tell for sure, simply measure from your dropout (bit where the axle sits) to the top of the pad, you will soon know if there it 20mm in it! You can use any type of disk you fancy, but as with cars - put a new set of pads in when you stick a new disk on otherwise you will be very disappointed, especially with cable disks (they are actually fine when set up well).

As for wheels, you need to make sure that you do get a rim with a machined (braking) face, 99% of after market rims for MTB are disk specific now. See how the profile is for disk rims...

Whilst V brake rims have that lovely machined brake face around them...

You should be able to pick up wheels easily, plenty of random odd wheels on ebay and who wants non-matching part vbrake part disk brake wheels (you do, that's who!)

Crack on, get out riding asap!!  :smiley: