Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71392 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #410 on: 26 February 2012, 17:52 »
Click on Show, then elevation level!  It was completely insane trying to go from 650ft to 1180ft!  I'm really not a fit person and I weigh over 15 stone!

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #411 on: 26 February 2012, 18:57 »
Think I just got a bit of a bargain?

Magura hydrualic rim brakes front and rear, £22.55?!

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #412 on: 26 February 2012, 18:58 »
Sounds good. Those things are deadly! Good buy
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #413 on: 26 February 2012, 19:01 »
Should be a nice little upgrade.  Only problem is my current levers are integrated with the quick shifters for the gears.  Going to have to try to work something out there...

Also, the brackets won't fit a mountain bike as they were fitted to a trials bike.  Anyone know where I can get the correct brackets from?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2012, 19:06 by bobbarley »

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #414 on: 26 February 2012, 20:00 »

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #415 on: 26 February 2012, 23:24 »
Oh my goooooooooooooooooooood!  I can't express how knackered I am!

Took this route:  http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/WMB-89-Peak-District-Red-Intermediate-Ride

However when we got to the mile 5 marker we took the road all the way back to the start.  I was absolutely cream crackered due to unfitness.  My mate was having bike problems, his handlebars came loose and his chain kept slipping off.

Observations.  The bike was heavy enough that sometimes if just wouldn't change direction as fast as I expected it too.  On multiple occasions I completely lost the use of brakes due the amount of water and mud on the downhills.  The suspension faired better than I expected.  Ahh those brakes though, they're absolutely diabolical!  Think I've buckled the back wheel as well  :undecided:

View from the top before we went down

Mate Alex

Proof I was there!

If you fancy a hook up section, then Roman Lakes to Hayfield is doable but around Roman Lakes is okay for a quick 1hr keep the legs moving kinda ride

I went to Lee Quarry today and gotta say it is just awful. No flow, red route is more purple at points esp going up hill. And just no real sense of direction or signs to say where to go. Some guys with giving large on the pump track tho   :grin:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #416 on: 26 February 2012, 23:33 »
Definitely need to find some more cool places to ride.  What we want is somewhere that doesn't have massive elevation, but loads of small ups and downs.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #417 on: 27 February 2012, 00:02 »
Just had a quick look at Lee Quarry.  There's no way I could do that with my excuse for a bike at the moment, if only for the reason I don't have any confidence in it.

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #418 on: 27 February 2012, 08:21 »
Cragg quarry is supposed to be a little more flowing. If you want a proper nice ride Llandegla. Best place I've ridden as it has something for everyone. Trek tho 

Roman lakes is a little place but every path is multi purpose meaning that some of the DH bits get spoiled. But everywhere is up first: what goes up must come down! They sell maps at Roman Lakes of different trails. Nearby you have Lyme Park and up and around Bowstones http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/upload/538314/attachments/Lyme%20Park.pdf short n sweet but if park near the Andon Enginr museum it's free and a good early climb into the back of Lyme Park. If youre feeling that's too short with a little bit of road it can hook up to Teggs nose in Macclesfield too

Lee Quarry was lots of little ups n downs but really sh1tty climbs that if you lost any speed at all downhill then you lost the momentum even if pedalling to get up the other side

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #419 on: 27 February 2012, 10:51 »
http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/United-Kingdom/Pentland-Hills-Edinburgh-Scotland/Pentland-Hills-4-reservoir-loop/elevationOSmap.aspx

Did this route at the weekend but probs went about 20 miles in the end. Got all the way up the road section at the start and into the hills, changed down and 'SNAP', my deraliur arm had snapped - sucking itself into my rear wheel.

Been my last weekend in edinburgh I wasn't gonna let this ride slip from my hands so drove back into the city and got it sorted within an hour (thanks edinburgh bike co-op)

So back on it and not digging the road section again I did the straight rocky climb up bells hill... got to the top and had to pedal to go downhill on the other side due to INSANE windspeed so turned around and powered it back down in full susser mode  :evil:

So... back at the split point AGAIN at kirton I headed back up the The Howe and got offroad in a serious way again, headwind through the valley was nuts but no pain no gain. This is the exit to the valley at Hare Hill

Then looped around the castle and two res's at the base of the other side, then a big climb up the downhill section I turned away from earlier and got back into full susser mode for the downhill AGAIN!  :evil:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.