Author Topic: Brighter headlights???  (Read 10032 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #20 on: 01 November 2010, 16:08 »
would you say it to his face thats a question

If you knew me you'd realise, yes I would.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #21 on: 01 November 2010, 16:13 »
DH thats fine in my book a bloke has an issue, take it out side but even I've called people out for being cocks and they have no conviction in what they say, guess age has alot to do with it, but dealing with kids on the tinternet is clear when they act like that! Issues, big Issues  :wink:

     

Offline JC

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 13,393
  • Back in the North.
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2010, 16:23 »
would you say it to his face thats a question

If you knew me you'd realise, yes I would.

nice try, but admit it, your 5ft nowt and 9 stone fully clothed wearing Steel toe cap DMs  :rolleyes:

and a big softy to boot  :tongue:

Offline Agreeable Slick

  • Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 7,066
  • Unit
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #23 on: 01 November 2010, 16:26 »
I fitted some on my Rallye it was the best mod I did but not sure if they were proper HID's they never blinded anyone got them off a TT?

Is this not negated as Rallyes have projectors on them? I ask because projectors would focus the beam.

Offline xkaty_h

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 203
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #24 on: 01 November 2010, 16:27 »
People with illegally fitted HIDs annoy me to a visceral level. It goes hand in hand with the attitude of not giving a monkeys about anyone else; which is permeating more and more through this society.

I don't see the point in them, to be honest. Even in those big ass pointless Land Rover-esque cars, as their beam patterns are higher than other cars making it near impossible to see anything.

Just get better bulbs surely, rather than inconveniencing, and potentially endangering, others?  

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #25 on: 01 November 2010, 16:36 »
I fitted HIDs to my Audi S2 and they were a vast improvement... BUT they have Epislode/Projector Lamps... After fitting them and seeing how good they were - they were the 1st thing on the list for the Mk2...

UNTIL I found out that they are infact illegal.... So the idea got dropped...

I have now fitted uprated Xeon bulbs which are much better than stock bulbs & I don't go round blinding other drivers or have problems when it come to test time!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #26 on: 01 November 2010, 16:52 »
I fitted some on my Rallye it was the best mod I did but not sure if they were proper HID's they never blinded anyone got them off a TT?

Is this not negated as Rallyes have projectors on them? I ask because projectors would focus the beam.

true the Xenons were classed as early Hid's due to the gas charge, I was worried the first time I went for MOT, but he looked at the Rallye log book and passed it due to it having low Hid's on already. But the whole Audi TT projector lense was used so kinda broke some rules, but got away with it due to that loop hole?
The breaking the law bit is the motion motor that usually comes with HID's so if you go up a hill they automatically adjust so not to blind people as long as you have this in theory its legal  :nerd:

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #27 on: 01 November 2010, 17:06 »
The breaking the law bit is the motion motor that usually comes with HID's so if you go up a hill they automatically adjust so not to blind people as long as you have this in theory its legal  :nerd:

I'll see your nerding and raise it.

The only thing that makes the HID kits illegal is that they're behind lenses designed for filament bulbs, not an HID burner.  The auto-levelling and head-lamp washer that the UK law specifies is superceded by EU law, which states just the glass needs to be E-marked for the application.
 :nerd:
 
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2010, 17:13 »
The breaking the law bit is the motion motor that usually comes with HID's so if you go up a hill they automatically adjust so not to blind people as long as you have this in theory its legal  :nerd:

I'll see your nerding and raise it.

The only thing that makes the HID kits illegal is that they're behind lenses designed for filament bulbs, not an HID burner.  The auto-levelling and head-lamp washer that the UK law specifies is superceded by EU law, which states just the glass needs to be E-marked for the application.
 :nerd:
 

mmmmm makes sense! But try and explain that to Mr plod at 1am in the morning he will still rite you a ticket proberly  :grin:

I like would be DIYers who melt there whole lenses and catches on fire, trust me seen it more oftern than I wish!
 

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #29 on: 01 November 2010, 17:32 »
Jus to clear this up I was quickly called a cu*t for suggesting em. I get dazzled by every new car in the mk2, can't see nout on back roads when on dipped with traffic passing, need to get the mains on asap! If u can't beat em join em I say.unless every1 does away with their hid's its silly to be different and suffer and moan, hids are clearly better- that's y they're commonly used I guess..like I say I know of a few mk2s that have aftermarket hids, they never get flashed 4 dazzling people, never fail mots, never get stopped by the fuzz, and don't really have any probs at all! Win win if u ask me!! Its an opinion based question- no right or wrong answer. Let's have it rite u cud put a quad headlamp grille on and have pukka lites!! No offence intended I appreciate varied answers wen I ask a q..