Author Topic: Brighter headlights???  (Read 10010 times)

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Brighter headlights???
« on: 31 October 2010, 16:09 »
Hi there

My standard lights on my 16v are very dim in
Comparison to more modern lights, anyone upgraded who can offer any help, just making my mk2 my daily driver and getting shut of the mk4 turbo :grin:

Thanks

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356

Offline SimonG

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2010, 16:47 »
Make your own lighting loom, I did and probably one of the best modification you can do.  Use at least two relays for the lighting circuit, one for each dipped beam.
  Mk3 Anniversary GTI 16V, Mk2 GTI

Offline mk2bal

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 811
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2010, 19:14 »
I've got the same problem, they're pants on dipped beam and alrite ish on main, think I'm jus guna chuck an h.I.d kit on it save messin about with the loom, easier and prob better (haven't seen uprated - only hid)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2010, 19:37 »
its not difficult to make an uprated loom, i did it and im hardly an electronics wizz:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=143453.msg1567480#msg1567480

it makes so much difference. my headlamps were getting 9v before, and now 12.5v after!


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline golfalicious

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 86
Proud owner of a 1989 GTI 8 Valve and a 2000 GTI Turbo

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2010, 20:14 »
i got one of the ebay kits in the garage untouched if you want it let me know, it needs altering as the guy on ebay sends them out wired for the VW Corrado, its easy to change using the guide shown in the link above, kit only has the one relay but i got one installed on my car and seams to work fine

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2010, 21:40 »

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2010, 21:53 »
I've got the same problem, they're pants on dipped beam and alrite ish on main, think I'm jus guna chuck an h.I.d kit on it save messin about with the loom, easier and prob better (haven't seen uprated - only hid)

This would make you a c*nt and your car illegal, please do not buy one and buy an uprated kit instead, which will be much better, not result in beam scatter, as your lights are designed for a filament bulb (not an HID burner) and prevent you from being the sort of c*nt who drives around dazzling other drivers arrogantly thinking they're clever because they've uprated their headlights using an illegally fitted HID kit.

HTHs
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Brighter headlights???
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2010, 23:34 »
I've got the same problem, they're pants on dipped beam and alrite ish on main, think I'm jus guna chuck an h.I.d kit on it save messin about with the loom, easier and prob better (haven't seen uprated - only hid)

This would make you a c*nt and your car illegal, please do not buy one and buy an uprated kit instead, which will be much better, not result in beam scatter, as your lights are designed for a filament bulb (not an HID burner) and prevent you from being the sort of c*nt who drives around dazzling other drivers arrogantly thinking they're clever because they've uprated their headlights using an illegally fitted HID kit.

HTHs

Can you clarify what you mean please...didn't quite get it??