Author Topic: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft  (Read 42654 times)

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #30 on: 04 October 2010, 22:11 »
Quote
Although I appreciate this is a Golf GTI forum, it is still created and frequented by people who have a passion for engines, in particular VW golf engines. I find most of the detailing stuff on here completely pointless, but realise it's not my bag so don't comment....

Mate Didn't understand that at all detailing? You mean wax and polish?  :undecided:
Is this the right thread?

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #31 on: 04 October 2010, 22:14 »
Quote
Although I appreciate this is a Golf GTI forum, it is still created and frequented by people who have a passion for engines, in particular VW golf engines. I find most of the detailing stuff on some of the other boards completely pointless, but realise it's not my bag so don't comment....

Mate Didn't understand that at all detailing? You mean wax and polish?  :undecided:
Is this the right thread?


http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=56.0

sorry for confusing you.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #32 on: 04 October 2010, 22:19 »
Errrr stil lost its just the detailing board which thread fella?
You don't like detailing? and comented in here sorry not being funny just lost?

Ohhh it was dry sarc haven't had that for awhile.........
Ok get it now  :wink:

Just to clarify I'm being random now!
It was suposed to be like....... "if you comented negatively on my MK2 golf for sale thread for 10K, f**k off"

 

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #33 on: 04 October 2010, 23:15 »
The resent above comments made me smile! Exactly what I wanted to hear...  :smiley:
So basically I just need to do my research, Is there any specialists about thats best to talk too? Names etc etc?

Not sure on what power I want it was more of a case of seeing if its possible  :smiley:

Will go on club polo then and have a word with a few people on there and see if i get anywhere. Thanks guys really aprietiate the imformation.


Your still missing the big big point, a Polo is lighter than a Golf mk2 and it is hard to fit bigger engines hence tuning the 1.3, in a Golf what is the point of spending money for little gain when you can drop a 1.6 or 1.8 in and gain much more.

Sorry to be harsh but tuning the 1.3 is 100% pointless and a waste of time and money.

If you really want to make it quicker as has been said drop a 1.6, run a webber carb and you will see worthwhile gains.

Although I appreciate this is a Golf GTI forum, it is still created and frequented by people who have a passion for engines, in particular VW golf engines. I find most of the detailing stuff on here completely pointless, but realise it's not my bag so don't comment....

Jimmyhodge....go for it....I'm sure it would be possible to reach around 135-140bhp

Sorry but I have passion for engines, built a few when I had my Mini and still like old fashioned ways of tuning which is sadly becoming a thing of the past, 2 points I feel the need to go over..

1) What is the point of making or trying to make a 1.3 quicker when you can just put a bigger / better engine in unless as per a few threads of late it is all down to insurance, (not telling them springs to mind :lipsrsealed:).

2) I would love to know how the hell you get 135 to 140bhp out of a 1.3 and yet it is still ok for day to day driving, my 1293 Mini was at times undriveable with a hot cam etc.

It is at the end of the day your car and choice and if you had a Polo I could understand but not on a Golf.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2010, 23:20 by Wayne »

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #34 on: 05 October 2010, 00:16 »
The resent above comments made me smile! Exactly what I wanted to hear...  :smiley:
So basically I just need to do my research, Is there any specialists about thats best to talk too? Names etc etc?

Not sure on what power I want it was more of a case of seeing if its possible  :smiley:

Will go on club polo then and have a word with a few people on there and see if i get anywhere. Thanks guys really aprietiate the imformation.


Your still missing the big big point, a Polo is lighter than a Golf mk2 and it is hard to fit bigger engines hence tuning the 1.3, in a Golf what is the point of spending money for little gain when you can drop a 1.6 or 1.8 in and gain much more.

Sorry to be harsh but tuning the 1.3 is 100% pointless and a waste of time and money.

If you really want to make it quicker as has been said drop a 1.6, run a webber carb and you will see worthwhile gains.

Although I appreciate this is a Golf GTI forum, it is still created and frequented by people who have a passion for engines, in particular VW golf engines. I find most of the detailing stuff on here completely pointless, but realise it's not my bag so don't comment....

Jimmyhodge....go for it....I'm sure it would be possible to reach around 135-140bhp

Sorry but I have passion for engines, built a few when I had my Mini and still like old fashioned ways of tuning which is sadly becoming a thing of the past, 2 points I feel the need to go over..

1) What is the point of making or trying to make a 1.3 quicker when you can just put a bigger / better engine in unless as per a few threads of late it is all down to insurance, (not telling them springs to mind :lipsrsealed:).

2) I would love to know how the hell you get 135 to 140bhp out of a 1.3 and yet it is still ok for day to day driving, my 1293 Mini was at times undriveable with a hot cam etc.

It is at the end of the day your car and choice and if you had a Polo I could understand but not on a Golf.

1) because you can...the 1.3 has a far better head than the 1.6, which some are suggesting is used. (the 1.3 is a cross flow head unlike the 1.6.)

2) off the top of my head....deck the block to get to 11.5:1 CR, Polo GT rods and pistons, enlarged valves, 320 odd degree cam, and custom throttle bodies and a large chunk of money to get it set up

or you could try mating the AFH cylinder head up with stand alone injection....

Plenty of ways to go and you can go the custom route (as most of the European tuners have gone) or the scrap yard route......

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #35 on: 05 October 2010, 03:31 »
I'm sick and tired of hearing people say drop a bigger engine in! So if we were all sheep there would be a huge amount of big engined cars, then a huge amount of completely standard cars....Nothing in between. The guy wants to modify his 1.3 engine, he is asking for advice on how to make the 1.3 more powerful, not advice about should he drop a bigger engine in. I think people need to focus on the original thread title and stick by it, yes say it might be worthwhile dropping a bigger engine in for the simplest way of getting power, but there's no need to gang rape the guy and bombard him with info he doesn't want. I'm sure he knows it would be better to put a bigger engine in.

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #36 on: 05 October 2010, 08:41 »
Look guys I never wanted to upset anyone on here. I own a very nice 1.6 driver with a fair bit of snort under the bonnet and like I originally said yes it goes well but I simply want to do something different.  :smiley:
I don't want to go out and tattoo sheep on my forehead and I fancy the challenges of modifying my 1.3 to the point of where it will kick my 1.6 driver to the ground. I don't want it to be one of these my car does 130mph ! Whats the point,you'll only lose your licence...

The idea of tuning my 1.3 is that being a 1.3 it will rev,revs means power etc etc. I've tuned motorcycles in the past and yes you'll get more power from a bigger bike but i've always found that the smaller capacity's will produce that power in a much more how do I put this nutt crunching way. More exciting and I won't be hiding anything from the insurers! Again whats the point!

I apprietiate everyone's feedback on here but I havn't asked what engine to fit to mine have I? I just wanted to know some info on wether its possible to tune the 1.3 engine and the answer is yes its very possible. Now i'm not made of money who is in this world we are living in at the moment but nothings stopping me trying is there...

No matter what you tell me i'm still going to try and get a nice figure of power out of my little golf,i'm not going to fit a larger engine,i'm not gonna spend my yearly earnings on the thing and i'm not going to be a sheep!  :wink:

Right back to the question at hands if people can get over the fact I don't want a bigger engine.

Who can I talk to regarding bigger valves etc etc and cams? Any experts in the field about? Decking the head and getting hold of some high comp pistons shouldn't be to big an issue but anyone know a stockist?

Kniff edging the crank,who do people use?

Anyone able to help?

If I continue to get abuse about tuning my wee 1.3 I will remove myself from the forum,just a shame so many people are turning into sheep,especially you mini owners,jeez my mate has a little 1380 mini and he'll spend a day trying to eeeekkk 1/2 a horse outa the little girl just because he can! Thats how it should be!

ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #37 on: 05 October 2010, 08:51 »
Just a misunderstanding here thats all Jim I'm all for getting a few more horses the cheapest way you can!
But the post does suggest increase in BHP for value for money, and TBH reliability is another issue ontop of the insurance? They have stayed on topic for one reason you mentioned increase in horse power just they are trying to save you money hence dropping a larger lump already tried and tested i.e 1.6-1.8 lumps? But hey IMO porting the sh!t out of a 1.3 does leave questions out there for the lobes, piston conrods rings, oil pumps etc... on reliability...? Which is why I said it would be kool to drop a FSI 1.4 still small block, but a very revvie vtec style of engine to give you better rev range and BHP.
It would be a shame to see you go, but TBH they have gone easy on you......... :lipsrsealed:
Jay

 

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #38 on: 05 October 2010, 08:53 »
The resent above comments made me smile! Exactly what I wanted to hear...  :smiley:
So basically I just need to do my research, Is there any specialists about thats best to talk too? Names etc etc?

Not sure on what power I want it was more of a case of seeing if its possible  :smiley:

Will go on club polo then and have a word with a few people on there and see if i get anywhere. Thanks guys really aprietiate the imformation.


Your still missing the big big point, a Polo is lighter than a Golf mk2 and it is hard to fit bigger engines hence tuning the 1.3, in a Golf what is the point of spending money for little gain when you can drop a 1.6 or 1.8 in and gain much more.

Sorry to be harsh but tuning the 1.3 is 100% pointless and a waste of time and money.

If you really want to make it quicker as has been said drop a 1.6, run a webber carb and you will see worthwhile gains.

Although I appreciate this is a Golf GTI forum, it is still created and frequented by people who have a passion for engines, in particular VW golf engines. I find most of the detailing stuff on here completely pointless, but realise it's not my bag so don't comment....

Jimmyhodge....go for it....I'm sure it would be possible to reach around 135-140bhp

Sorry but I have passion for engines, built a few when I had my Mini and still like old fashioned ways of tuning which is sadly becoming a thing of the past, 2 points I feel the need to go over..

1) What is the point of making or trying to make a 1.3 quicker when you can just put a bigger / better engine in unless as per a few threads of late it is all down to insurance, (not telling them springs to mind :lipsrsealed:).

2) I would love to know how the hell you get 135 to 140bhp out of a 1.3 and yet it is still ok for day to day driving, my 1293 Mini was at times undriveable with a hot cam etc.

It is at the end of the day your car and choice and if you had a Polo I could understand but not on a Golf.

1) because you can...the 1.3 has a far better head than the 1.6, which some are suggesting is used. (the 1.3 is a cross flow head unlike the 1.6.)

2) off the top of my head....deck the block to get to 11.5:1 CR, Polo GT rods and pistons, enlarged valves, 320 odd degree cam, and custom throttle bodies and a large chunk of money to get it set up

or you could try mating the AFH cylinder head up with stand alone injection....

Plenty of ways to go and you can go the custom route (as most of the European tuners have gone) or the scrap yard route......

That sums up my point, have you ever tried a 320 cam on the road.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people say drop a bigger engine in! So if we were all sheep there would be a huge amount of big engined cars, then a huge amount of completely standard cars....Nothing in between. The guy wants to modify his 1.3 engine, he is asking for advice on how to make the 1.3 more powerful, not advice about should he drop a bigger engine in. I think people need to focus on the original thread title and stick by it, yes say it might be worthwhile dropping a bigger engine in for the simplest way of getting power, but there's no need to gang rape the guy and bombard him with info he doesn't want. I'm sure he knows it would be better to put a bigger engine in.

Fair point but you fitted a 16v when you could have made your 8v faster but lets be honest it made sense.

Look guys I never wanted to upset anyone on here. I own a very nice 1.6 driver with a fair bit of snort under the bonnet and like I originally said yes it goes well but I simply want to do something different.  :smiley:
I don't want to go out and tattoo sheep on my forehead and I fancy the challenges of modifying my 1.3 to the point of where it will kick my 1.6 driver to the ground. I don't want it to be one of these my car does 130mph ! Whats the point,you'll only lose your licence...

The idea of tuning my 1.3 is that being a 1.3 it will rev,revs means power etc etc. I've tuned motorcycles in the past and yes you'll get more power from a bigger bike but i've always found that the smaller capacity's will produce that power in a much more how do I put this nutt crunching way. More exciting and I won't be hiding anything from the insurers! Again whats the point!

I apprietiate everyone's feedback on here but I havn't asked what engine to fit to mine have I? I just wanted to know some info on wether its possible to tune the 1.3 engine and the answer is yes its very possible. Now i'm not made of money who is in this world we are living in at the moment but nothings stopping me trying is there...

No matter what you tell me i'm still going to try and get a nice figure of power out of my little golf,i'm not going to fit a larger engine,i'm not gonna spend my yearly earnings on the thing and i'm not going to be a sheep!  :wink:

Right back to the question at hands if people can get over the fact I don't want a bigger engine.

Who can I talk to regarding bigger valves etc etc and cams? Any experts in the field about? Decking the head and getting hold of some high comp pistons shouldn't be to big an issue but anyone know a stockist?

Kniff edging the crank,who do people use?

Anyone able to help?

If I continue to get abuse about tuning my wee 1.3 I will remove myself from the forum,just a shame so many people are turning into sheep,especially you mini owners,jeez my mate has a little 1380 mini and he'll spend a day trying to eeeekkk 1/2 a horse outa the little girl just because he can! Thats how it should be!



Good luck in your search and sorry if that I seemed harsh towards you.

Please stick around, it will be interesting to see your progress.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2010, 08:55 by Wayne »

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #39 on: 05 October 2010, 09:09 »
Just a misunderstanding here thats all Jim I'm all for getting a few more horses the cheapest way you can!
But the post does suggest increase in BHP for value for money, and TBH reliability is another issue ontop of the insurance? They have stayed on topic for one reason you mentioned increase in horse power just they are trying to save you money hence dropping a larger lump already tried and tested i.e 1.6-1.8 lumps? But hey IMO porting the sh!t out of a 1.3 does leave questions out there for the lobes, piston conrods rings, oil pumps etc... on reliability...? Which is why I said it would be kool to drop a FSI 1.4 still small block, but a very revvie vtec style of engine to give you better rev range and BHP.
It would be a shame to see you go, but TBH they have gone easy on you......... :lipsrsealed:
Jay

 

To be fair I have looked at those FSI 1.4 engines before. Super charged and turbo at the same time very very tempting! Nothings out of the question at the moment its still very very early days and I have even began to solidify my plans. The only thing that put me off those FSI engines is I can't really find much info on them. Wiring diagrams etc etc. I believe its the same engine they fitted to some Scoda's? Corect me if i'm wrong. . .
I just want to do something different, not follow trends and to experiment a little.

I'll agree though with wayne,those 320 cams are undrivable on the road,you have to pretty much grow an extra foot to keep the thing going at traffic lights and this is really not what i'm after. More the case of purring but powerful.  :smiley:

It may be possible to tune the 1.3 but like you're saying how reliable will it actually be... :undecided:

ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us