Author Topic: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft  (Read 42677 times)

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2010, 10:07 »
Good luck with it! Has to be well worth a go- potential for a decent power to weight ratio!

Im no authority on tuning, but is it not possible to re-profile the existing cam/followers for mild benefit?

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #21 on: 04 October 2010, 17:34 »
The resent above comments made me smile! Exactly what I wanted to hear...  :smiley:
So basically I just need to do my research, Is there any specialists about thats best to talk too? Names etc etc?

Not sure on what power I want it was more of a case of seeing if its possible  :smiley:

Will go on club polo then and have a word with a few people on there and see if i get anywhere. Thanks guys really aprietiate the imformation.
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #22 on: 04 October 2010, 17:39 »
mines got hydraulic cam lifters. What cams are available then? I've heard about these GK manifolds but never got hold of one unfortunatly  :sad:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #23 on: 04 October 2010, 20:13 »
i have a cam from my old 1.6 driver if it will fit u can buy it off me donno if it will firt or not though

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #24 on: 04 October 2010, 20:17 »
The resent above comments made me smile! Exactly what I wanted to hear...  :smiley:
So basically I just need to do my research, Is there any specialists about thats best to talk too? Names etc etc?

Not sure on what power I want it was more of a case of seeing if its possible  :smiley:

Will go on club polo then and have a word with a few people on there and see if i get anywhere. Thanks guys really aprietiate the imformation.


Your still missing the big big point, a Polo is lighter than a Golf mk2 and it is hard to fit bigger engines hence tuning the 1.3, in a Golf what is the point of spending money for little gain when you can drop a 1.6 or 1.8 in and gain much more.

Sorry to be harsh but tuning the 1.3 is 100% pointless and a waste of time and money.

If you really want to make it quicker as has been said drop a 1.6, run a webber carb and you will see worthwhile gains.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #25 on: 04 October 2010, 20:26 »
Has anyone fitted one of those FSI 1.3 or 1.4 engines heard they can produce alot of power for the size of the engine?

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #26 on: 04 October 2010, 20:36 »
Has anyone fitted one of those FSI 1.3 or 1.4 engines heard they can produce alot of power for the size of the engine?

I would guess being FSI means major work / headache with the wiring.

Have seen a mk2 with a 1.4 16v lump fitted.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #27 on: 04 October 2010, 20:47 »
Has anyone fitted one of those FSI 1.3 or 1.4 engines heard they can produce alot of power for the size of the engine?

I would guess being FSI means major work / headache with the wiring.

Have seen a mk2 with a 1.4 16v lump fitted.

Haaa thats just another word for challenge!  :laugh: I've heard the FSI's are pretty good on fuel, with that in mind I would transplant the whole lot, if I could get the dash to fit in well?
 

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #28 on: 04 October 2010, 21:53 »
The resent above comments made me smile! Exactly what I wanted to hear...  :smiley:
So basically I just need to do my research, Is there any specialists about thats best to talk too? Names etc etc?

Not sure on what power I want it was more of a case of seeing if its possible  :smiley:

Will go on club polo then and have a word with a few people on there and see if i get anywhere. Thanks guys really aprietiate the imformation.


Your still missing the big big point, a Polo is lighter than a Golf mk2 and it is hard to fit bigger engines hence tuning the 1.3, in a Golf what is the point of spending money for little gain when you can drop a 1.6 or 1.8 in and gain much more.

Sorry to be harsh but tuning the 1.3 is 100% pointless and a waste of time and money.

If you really want to make it quicker as has been said drop a 1.6, run a webber carb and you will see worthwhile gains.

Although I appreciate this is a Golf GTI forum, it is still created and frequented by people who have a passion for engines, in particular VW golf engines. I find most of the detailing stuff on here completely pointless, but realise it's not my bag so don't comment....

Jimmyhodge....go for it....I'm sure it would be possible to reach around 135-140bhp

Offline bodga

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • F reg GTI 16v
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #29 on: 04 October 2010, 22:09 »
give it a squirt of NOS :cool: