Author Topic: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft  (Read 23845 times)

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: Mk2 golf 1.3 performace camshaft
« Reply #60 on: 05 October 2010, 23:15 »
the easyest way to get a 1300 to go is going to be boost, ether an eaton M45 or a rinky dinky turbo.

if you want to go the NA it's gonna cost.  but have dne simalar type engine when you have a rule book that says your not allowed a bigger motor ( only time i've ever botherd )

1) get a soild lifter cyl head if possible and the Volumetric efficency of the cylinder head up LOTS    cut the bottom of the valve guides off, try cut the valce seats,  trim as much metal off the valves as you dare and polish them.     

2) then get the inlet sorted  id say ITBS but budget wil say bike carbs try get the inlet run about 350mm  from mouth of trumpet to valve (iirc)
3) sort the exhaust primaries twice as long as secondaries   can provide the formulas for working out lenths of runners to work with cam if you wish
4) no cams avalible have yours reprofiled and fit uprated valve springs  if you go long dration like 320 degrees you need to get the compression up LOTS 11.5 is not enough you need custom psitons and 14 or 15:1
5) programable ignition std dizzy advance curve wont work for that motor

as for building 13 revs monsters with hydralic tappet heads it won't happen  you'll get to about 8000 rpm and the tappets will say f**k off and pump up

all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #61 on: 06 October 2010, 10:27 »
If I fit the 16valve head off a polo mk3 I believe its a solid lift cam is it not?

Throttle bodies... how can I control these as I have no ECU on the 1.3... I'm ok on the mechanics of things just electrics im not so hot on yet... ideas anyone?  :smiley:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #62 on: 06 October 2010, 10:34 »
Also quick question i've been told and taught many of times how to work out the compression ratios of a cylinder,can someone remind me how it is worked out again... Daft question I know but its been a very very long time since I worked out this...

For the guys that are interested I will do a build thread,the main project won't start till the new year as I am going away traveling in the next few weeks and upon my return I will strip my spare 1.3 engine and begin  :smiley:

Anyone with info on things such as piston suppliers,cam suppliers,porters tuners I can speak to in the mean time before I start this project please let me know as im going to do my research before I start such a project. I don't want to get half way through only to find out I can't get a piston or something stupid...

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #63 on: 06 October 2010, 10:44 »
If I fit the 16valve head off a polo mk3 I believe its a solid lift cam is it not?

Throttle bodies... how can I control these as I have no ECU on the 1.3... I'm ok on the mechanics of things just electrics im not so hot on yet... ideas anyone?  :smiley:

Nope hydraulic.

Might be worth you looking at bike carbs.

Offline jimmyhodge

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #64 on: 06 October 2010, 10:59 »
Ok anyone know of a solid lift cylinder head that would fit ontop of my 1.3 block atleast then...?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #65 on: 06 October 2010, 11:10 »
Ok anyone know of a solid lift cylinder head that would fit ontop of my 1.3 block atleast then...?

What year is your 1.3

Easy way to tell if you have early or later type engine is the rocker cover.

Early is held on with bolts around the edge, later type has 3 bolts in the center.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 06 October 2010, 11:12 »
You might want to give my mate a ring he is called AKA: Headman (Adam) theres not alot of things he wont understand when chopping heads and bottom ends?
He is a pro by the way does nothing but heads and cams! :wink:

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #67 on: 06 October 2010, 18:06 »
compresson ratios. 

static cr in most basic terms the ratio how much the total volume of a cylinder changes between tdc and bdc.

to work out your cr you need to know the swept volume of cylinder, if the piston is domed or dished and the volume of said dme or dishm and the volume of the combustion chamber of cyl head.

cr is.   swept volume / combustion chamber volume + volume of piston dish or dome + volume of gasket space

all the VW's have gone bar 1.