Author Topic: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!  (Read 6950 times)

Offline herbster

• I live here
Re: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!
« Reply #30 on: 03 August 2007, 21:26 »
for the cost of a service on a mk4 you could probably get an engine and box for a mk2 in really good order, any major faults on a mk4 ie. turbo or ecu would sting you a good couple of weeks wages! A mk2 may well need a bit all the time, but the smile when you get in it is amazing, they are getting fewer and there are so many mk4' s more and more each day, people are geting them cause they are such a safe car for the money thinking that in 5-10 years everone will look at the mk4 like the mk2!!!  :tongue: no chance!!!  :laugh:
Get it while you can, the way the car market is going cars will not be able to live for more than ten years soon with all this recycling crap thats going on.  :cry:
Gonna keep mine forever!!!!!  :cool:
Mk2 's forever!!!!!!  :smug:

FAB is my life and the CABRIO's the wifes!!!!

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #31 on: 04 August 2007, 04:10 »
According to http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp the MK2 16v is faster than the MK4 1.8T

I would take these readings with a healthy pinch of salt.

I have a timing slip sitting on my desk from a race on santa pod to proove that mk2 16vs are quicker than mk4 1.8T's   :smug:
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 04 August 2007, 08:57 »
Could't you buy a cheap m2 as a weekend car?

If i got a mk4 i think i'd keep the mk2 for a bit.

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 04 August 2007, 10:49 »
According to http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp the MK2 16v is faster than the MK4 1.8T

I would take these readings with a healthy pinch of salt.

I have a timing slip sitting on my desk from a race on santa pod to proove that mk2 16vs are quicker than mk4 1.8T's   :smug:

I was hoping you would see that  :smiley:.  Your 1/4 sprint time was exactly as published in that link wasn't it?

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #34 on: 04 August 2007, 12:46 »
Yep, pretty much bang on. I did a few 15.9's at North Weald the other day, but averaging about 16.1.

S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline VWaddict73

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2007, 00:20 »
A newbie to the forum's point of view...

My main drive at the moment is a Mk5 GTI turbo which is a great car, but anything goes wrong with it and it's straight to the stealer's for "diagnosis". It's still under warranty of course so not a major issue. Went in last week for a strange little tapping noise (sounded a little like a faulty relay would sound - like the indicators was left on) anyway VW had a look and the list of kit they are replaicing is amazing...Replacing the heater motor, and the air con computer ("just in case"), electric window ecu?, rear wiper something or other, the list goes on.... Mk4's are perhaps a little less complex but still I used to have one and was experiencing a bit of a judder at a certain speed and the diagnosed it as a speed sensor - costing £150 fitted!!
Point is modern cars are designed such that diy maintenance / cheap running is impossible (how else do they pay for the plush dealerships?) so it depends what you want to get out of your driving experience. If you are after a no hassle (but more expensive) ownership keep the Mk4 and get it fixed. if you are after a more "hands on" experience which in my opinion is more rewarding then go to a Mk2. It makes you think more and understand what is going on and how to get the best out of your car.

I am fortunate enough to be able to have the best of both worlds, as well as my daily drive Mk5 I have just bought 2 x Mk2 16v's. One which I bought as a restoration project and one I have just bought which is near mint. they are just toys along with my Landy for the weekend. But it let's me get my hand back in which is something I have missed for a while since time became more of a comodity. (2 kids).

Good luck with your decision, if all else fails get the wife a modern polo or something! I end up having to buy her something evrytime I buy a new car so she doesn't go off on one.....

Steve

Current cars - Porsche 911 C4S, Audi Q7, 2 x Oak Green Project Mk2 16v, Mk1 GTi Sportline, Landrover Defender

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #36 on: 05 August 2007, 02:04 »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well said that man. Everything said is true. I own a MKII 8V and have considered moving to a MKIII 16V, but only for the power. But I think if I stick to Golfs (which is seriously in question considering my move back into the Cobra fraternity) I would go for a MKII 16V. But only for the fact that I've owned two 8V's and would like a change.
As said, I own a 8V and when I bought it, it was a ropey old peice of wotnot. But every visit to the scrapyard reaped rewards and I have enjoyed every minute of bringing it up to the standard it is now. All, I have to say with second hand stuff. Every improvement made elevates the driving experience and rewards you with a feeling of satisaction and accomplishment. Thats why I have a MKII. :smiley:
MKIII's, IV's and V's in my opinion can stay in the classifieds. BUT, that is my opinion. Everyone is different, and I wouldn't force anyone to change their minds. (Doesn't stop me from looking at a well cared for MKIII though!) :laugh:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline Britman

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 05 August 2007, 03:50 »
can anyone tellme (as most have driven mk2 mk3 and mk4's, what the clutch like in going from the mk3 16v  to mk2 16v is it a lot stiffer as it wa svery light in the 16v mk3, but i heard its stiffer in mk2's from reviews or the measuremeats in pressure anyway, is it much worse :huh:, I ask as i get weak legs sometimes and it matters to me, also i had a vr6 early one which was very heavy clutch wise may of been engine or maybe early ones are stiffer does anyone know,  iwant a mk2 16v but am worried its stiff, if i go far to test drive one and it stiff its a waste of time and if go for one of ebay cant anyway usully, just thought id ask
thanks also very interesting replies
i loved the character of my mk2 driver had it ages, forgot how it drove now but have fond memories
« Last Edit: 05 August 2007, 04:47 by adrenaline »

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #38 on: 05 August 2007, 09:40 »
my valver clutch is light.
it is no heavier than my nissan primera (2002) anyway.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 05 August 2007, 09:43 »
yeah, a had a mk3 8v and i can't say i've noticed a difference to my mk2 16v