Author Topic: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Conker

• I live here
Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!
« on: 03 August 2007, 11:01 »
I have posted this on the Mk4 section as well but would really like the Mk2'ers opinion on it... Apologies if this is not strictly allowed.

Firstly, thanks to all the regular contributors for a great forum.

Secondly, I need a few opinions on something...

I think my Mk4 1.8T GTI is absolutely farking brilliant.  However, its now done 85k miles and is starting to need more and more niggles sorting out, and I can feel one or two big fixes (like new suspension) might be less than 20k miles away. I also really like Mk2 16v'ers and I have recently realised that Mk2 GTI vs Mk4 performance (on paper at least) is very similar, and round the twisty bits, the Mk2 might even be better ( ! ! ! ).

So... I was considering selling my Mk4 for between £4k and £5k, buying a nice Mk2 for say around £2k and using the surplus cash to pay off the remaining car loan and also sort out a few bits on the Mk2 e.g. a respray, new wheels etc.

I guess the questions are... 
1)Would the likely repair bills on the Mk4 be significantly more than on a (admittedly much older) Mk2 due to it engine complexity etc? Plus I could probably do more myself on the simpler Mk2.

2) Will the Mk2 seem as rough as a bear's behind after my Mk4?

All opinions are more than welcome
« Last Edit: 03 August 2007, 11:40 by Conker »

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2007, 11:24 »
The MKII being an older car obviously is not as refined as a MKIV, so be aware that the ride may be a little harsher, and noisier. You can keep a Golf II on the road very cheaply as they are very basic in design and come apart easily. So DIY maintenance is not too much of a problem. Also, there are plenty being broken and are readily available in scrapyards.
If you want a MKII, then my advice is to get the best condition one you can and keep it up together and clean. They need to be clean to stand out. Otherwise it looks like just another old car.
You WILL be spending more time getting your hands dirty though, so just be aware of that fact. MKII's are 16+ years old now for the youngest ones and need lots of love and fettling!
Good luck! :wink:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2007, 11:27 »
I'm changing up to a mk4 hopefully becasue of the luxury..simple things like elctric windows, A/C  and i love the shape of the mk4's.

You'll have to spend atleast £2k for a decent mk2. But constant money wil lbe flowing out your wallet for maintenance...

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2007, 11:48 »
You'll have to spend atleast £2k for a decent mk2. But constant money wil lbe flowing out your wallet for maintenance...

I wouldn't agree with that in all honesty.

My 89 8v gti cost me 300 quid in April 06 with 2 months MOT left. It then cost me 70 quid to get it through the MOT, including the cost of the test itself.

IF i had left it alone and standard then the only work i have done is replacing the dizzy, as i thought the hall sender had gone. As it turns out, it was actually the connector that had gone! With the exception of oil, filters, plugs, dizzy caps, and tyres my car would have cost me nothing to run and maintain, but these are things you'd do on any car you own.

It had it's MOT last week and went straight through and didn't even pick up any advisories!

Admittidly, it's got a couple of scratches, a couple of dents and a bit of small bubbling coming through, but it was 300 quid!! I'd say get out there and see what you can get for your money, that way you can build up an idea of what to expect for your money and adjust the budget accordingly. If it was me, i'd be looking for a mint body and not let slightly dodgy mechanics put me off a nice car. Just depends how dirty you want to get your hands!

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2007, 11:53 »
Good posts dudes, keep em coming.

As an added extra... The last and possibly insurmountable part of the dilemma would be getting my missus to not worry about reduced safety / NCAP ratings and all that b---ocks   :wink:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2007, 11:58 »
Late ones have side impact bars in the doors. Erm, i think that's about it!  :undecided:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2007, 11:59 »
According to http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp the MK2 16v is faster than the MK4 1.8T

I would take these readings with a healthy pinch of salt.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2007, 12:37 »
its got a greater power to weight ratio, being lighter it will handle better also. only way a mk4 is faster is in gear acceleration due to the torque from the turbo

mk2 will give you bigger smiles per miles driving than a mk4

if your wife is worried about safety then i wouldnt show her this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzCswJ_tkk

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2007, 13:19 »
I had a Mk3 16v (modern ish with creature comforts) but then changed to a Mk2 16v because it was just a more iconic car and so much more fun to drive.
Yes you will lose some modern features like Air Con (unless you find the one or two Mk2s that have it that are in this country), but if you buy a later H or J plate car you will have options like electric windows, pas, electric mirrors, electric sunroof, very comfy sports seats (perhaps even heated Recaros) and central locking. So A/C is pretty much the only thing you won't get.

I would have a Mk2 now, but my wife doesn't like the "dated" look, don't know what she means  :grin:
The Mk2 is a classic, the Mk4 isn't and probably never will be.
Keeping the missus happy is important, so just find a very clean Mk2 with at least PAS, CL and Electric windows, then take her out for a drive in the country, and show her how much fun it is (perhaps even let her drive it).

Don't talk about the safety thing, you'll have seatbelts, and because it's lighter, it should be easier to stop in an emergency.

Good luck with that.

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2007, 13:31 »
The mk4 is newer and although I have never owned a mk2, I would prefer to be more up to date then take a step back (IMO of course) not doubting that the mk2 is a brill car though
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)