Author Topic: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!  (Read 6926 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2007, 13:41 »
What leads you believe that the your 1.8T is on its way out? Niggling problems are a fact on ALL cars, should you get a Mk2 you will probably have more. Personaly I would NEVER go to a Mk2 from an Mk4 unless money became an issue. The 1.8T is newer, smoother, more comfortable, fast enough (should you want more, nothing a remap cant fix).

All this about the Mk4 not being "iconic" is rubbish, its to new a car yet. Its still got many years untill it can even be thought about being classes in taht bracket. Correct me im wrong but 1.8T, the first Golf GTi to have a turbo in it out the factory?

These kind of choices are all down to personal opinion and what you want, I know what I would rather have and thats all I can offer.

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2007, 14:26 »
Alot of viable things there and lots of people have different ideas. People say that French cars are some of the best in the world. But personally, I wouldn't touch them. Its all down to personal taste.
Creature comforts versus seat of the pants driving is a tough decision for some. But I have driven very expensive Mercedes and BMW's, and also built a very high powered Cobra. I know what I prefer and am now just starting to build another one. :smiley:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2007, 14:38 »
I don't think its on its way out, nowhere near, but I was just wondering if the bits that might wear out over the coming few years might be far more expensive than the maintenance costs of a Mk2, and if the Mk2 is as much fun then why not?

The profit from the swap would also be a lot of beer money!   :laugh:

Fixing all the little niggles on my Mk4 1.8t, and then remapping it, is a definite possibility though.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2007, 14:54 »
Just out of interest, whats the niggly things on ur Mk4?

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2007, 15:23 »
I had a Mk3 16v (modern ish with creature comforts) but then changed to a Mk2 16v because it was just a more iconic car and so much more fun to drive.
Yes you will lose some modern features like Air Con (unless you find the one or two Mk2s that have it that are in this country), but if you buy a later H or J plate car you will have options like electric windows, pas, electric mirrors, electric sunroof, very comfy sports seats (perhaps even heated Recaros) and central locking. So A/C is pretty much the only thing you won't get.

I would have a Mk2 now, but my wife doesn't like the "dated" look, don't know what she means  :grin:
The Mk2 is a classic, the Mk4 isn't and probably never will be.
Keeping the missus happy is important, so just find a very clean Mk2 with at least PAS, CL and Electric windows, then take her out for a drive in the country, and show her how much fun it is (perhaps even let her drive it).

Don't talk about the safety thing, you'll have seatbelts, and because it's lighter, it should be easier to stop in an emergency.

Good luck with that.

Dubfan,

Can't believe how similar mine and your stories are, i recently sold my mk3 16v and bought a mint J plate mk2 16v.

My misses said "why are you buying an older car??"

The only thing i've lost by moving down is air con and a good standard stereo setup (which i'm looking to sort out now!)

Mine's got cd player, sunroof, power steering, central locking and electric windows.

I'm chuffed to bits with it and it's put lots of smiles on my face in the 3 months/3000 miles i've done.

Conker my advice would be to buy the best example you can with lots of history and i don't think you'll go far wrong, you may need to pay £2-2.5k though for a minter.

Stomper

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline dabill

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2007, 15:25 »
i think a mk2 would get my choice every day of the week...except possibly thursdays...

i had to decide between a mk2 and a mk4, and i just couldnt justify spending that much money on a car that was more expensive to run, and not as entertaining to drive. with all the comforts of a mk4, you lose the main enjoyability of a mk2, the feel of the road, the back to basics driving, and the wet your pants fear! so much fun, and soo soo cheap! mk4's are too smoothe, too quiet.. and everyone has them!

mk2 all the way... oh yeah, get an 8v :rolleyes:

rob

(nice colour car you got there stomper!)

noble tuned - and still not fast enough!

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2007, 15:54 »
Get yourself a nice mk2 and you'll get loads more admiring glances than a mk4.

Alpine white all the way.................. :grin:

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2007, 16:11 »
Go test drive a few and see what you think. Best advice really.

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2007, 16:24 »
just gone from a mk3 8v to mk2 16v (via a polo 16v) and have to say the refinement thing isn't as bad as i'd thought. you can tell theres not so much soundproofing etc but thats fixable if it bothers you.

as for toys, my mk2 has PAS,RCL,electric sunroof , electric windows and Air Con. the only thing missing is ABS.

go on , do it.

my missus says it's boxy......i say ..meh  :tongue:

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2007, 17:18 »
I can testify that the ladies prefer the Mk4 GTi to the "old" Mk2 GTi. That's got to count towards something ? ?