Author Topic: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!  (Read 6951 times)

Offline Conker

• I live here
Re: Help... Im being tempted by a Mk2 16V'er !!!!
« Reply #40 on: 05 August 2007, 16:06 »
Thanks for all the posts.

Saw two Mk2 16v'ers on the road over the weekend and one looked rubbish and the other looked awesome. I think its definitely a case of having to keep the Mk2 clean and tidy to stop it looking "old".

I think I should go and test drive a few Mk2's and see if how much I like them, and see what i can get for my money. Then I can decide.

Cheers,

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 06 August 2007, 10:54 »
Thanks for all the posts.

Saw two Mk2 16v'ers on the road over the weekend and one looked rubbish and the other looked awesome. I think its definitely a case of having to keep the Mk2 clean and tidy to stop it looking "old".

I think I should go and test drive a few Mk2's and see if how much I like them, and see what i can get for my money. Then I can decide.

Cheers,

You've hit the nail on the head there mate, there's a big difference between a clean and tidy mk2 and a shabby one.

Let us know how you get on with your test-drives and your final decision, see if you can be lured by the old classic away from the mk4!

Oli

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline DubDave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 06 August 2007, 14:41 »

I have just bought a 16 valver this weekend, and all I can say is ive had a smile on my face ever since.

I did have a mk4 before but never, ever, did i get the sort of enjoyment that im getting right now outa the mk2.
i only spent 1250 on it, although i believe i got it alot cheaper than what it should of been as it is mint other than a slight oil leak and in need of a good service.

In my opinion, having had both cars id go for a mk2. Although i know im going to be getting my hands dirtier than i would with the mk4, i know its worth it.

O and one last thing.........the noise when booting it is so addictive its untrue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :D :D

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 06 August 2007, 16:08 »
Im getting the bug big style... Gonna test one out ASAP. I just think the Mk2 looks better. This picture is awesome:

[Sorry... Can't remember the member whose cars these are]

Red, black or grey... Red, black or grey...  Hmmm.

I think my Mk4's days are numbered (although obviously never having been in a Mk2 GTI I might completely change my mind post test drive!!)

Offline stomper

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 06 August 2007, 16:23 »
Im getting the bug big style... Gonna test one out ASAP. I just think the Mk2 looks better. This picture is awesome:

[Sorry... Can't remember the member whose cars these are]

Red, black or grey... Red, black or grey...  Hmmm.

I think my Mk4's days are numbered (although obviously never having been in a Mk2 GTI I might completely change my mind post test drive!!)

Freaky,

That's the exact same photo that tempted me to go and look at a mk2!

I saw a grey one like the one in the pic at our local supermarket the other day, looked super-cool.

2003 Black Magic Bora Sport 1.8T (180)
AMD remap
Milltek Cat-back exhaust
18" BBS RC's
Eibach 30mm Springs with Boge Shocks
Front and Rear V6 4Motion Valances

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 06 August 2007, 16:34 »
the red mk2 are very hard to keep red, you really need to be waxing it every other week to stop it turning pink. so if you have little patience id go for black or atlas grey. the atlas grey would be my preferred choice of the 3

Offline leeatherton

• Not said much yet
« Reply #46 on: 06 August 2007, 16:37 »
I've just sold my mk4 gti t and got a mk2 8v and can honestly say that like others if your gonna use it for long journeys and want comfort that all the family etc can enjoy then stick to the mk4! they are great fun to drive and always put a smile on my face!

but the mk2 is something else if you want a car to drive! i love the thing when you throw it into corners or just want a quick blast around town or b roads! its all about being light and nippy something that i can honestly say the mk4 isnt! dont get me wrong they are quick but i always wanted it to go faster!

id say if you need to sell the mk4 get a mk2 and you'll enjoy it! i sold mine due to not needing it for a dailt anymore and buying a house but i can honestly say the mk2 is loads of fun! i just cant help myself buying little bits and bobs for it because they are so cheap!

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #47 on: 06 August 2007, 16:44 »
I have a MKII 8V but I have changed the 5th gear for that from a 4E gearbox, found in I think 1.3 or 1.6 engined cars. This gives me a more relaxed cruising speed in 5th, but maintaining GTI performance with the first 4 gears.
In 5th, at 75 MPH (130 KMH, I live in Spain!) the engine turns at about 3200RPM give or take...as opposed to 4000RPM I had before.

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline sk8boy73

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #48 on: 07 August 2007, 18:43 »
hello
got a mk2 16v but got a mk3 for comfort and all that rubbish.only had it 2 weeks now thinking of going back to the mk2! can`t beat the grin they give me! mk2 all the way!

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 07 August 2007, 21:49 »
You bought a mk2 yet? :laugh:

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08