Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 13033 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #70 on: 09 January 2024, 13:13 »
My Clubsport was the same, would freewheel from stone cold in D.
In S the gearbox is set for rabid response so won’t freewheel.

Still unable to get the R to do it despite driving in D constantly. Maybe it’s still in running in mode as it hasn’t quite done 300 miles yet.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 09 January 2024, 16:00 »
Let me introduce Daisy.
She’s a little white and black moo-cow with a fine set of udders dangling below her nether region

Not been around for a while so catching up, and surprised you went for an R from the Clubsport, but can also see why also, have enjoyed the assuredness of driving wife 2019 R after few years of FWD, especially in recent grotty and wet conditions.

Just posted to the MK 8.5 thread of my increasing interest in moving onto a MK 8/8.5 due to seeing a few out in the wild now, and liking what see.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 09 January 2024, 18:13 »
My Clubsport was the same, would freewheel from stone cold in D.
In S the gearbox is set for rabid response so won’t freewheel.

Still unable to get the R to do it despite driving in D constantly. Maybe it’s still in running in mode as it hasn’t quite done 300 miles yet.

If there's an unlock with running in, it will probably occur after 620 miles (1000km).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 09 January 2024, 19:17 »

If there's an unlock with running in, it will probably occur after 620 miles (1000km).

Previous Golfs I’ve had definitely changed in character after the 600 mile mark. But that was more ECU than TCU.

Not been around for a while so catching up, and surprised you went for an R from the Clubsport, but can also see why also, have enjoyed the assuredness of driving wife 2019 R after few years of FWD, especially in recent grotty and wet conditions.

Just posted to the MK 8.5 thread of my increasing interest in moving onto a MK 8/8.5 due to seeing a few out in the wild now, and liking what see.

Hi Hertsman, good to see you around.
If my Clubsport hadn’t had its bonging issues and subsequent worries about out of warranty concerns I’d have probably kept it until the Ed50 or something else of interest broke cover…

I thought I’d go for an R to see what all the YouTubers were raving about, and yes, having owned a 7R one can definitely feel the differences this new rear diff makes. Where the 7R drive transition between axles was super subtle the mk8 can definitely be felt, albeit with a slight lag where you suddenly feel the drive sent to individual rear wheels. It works very well, but like DCC, it seems a bit reactive unlike the Haldex diff in the Clubsport that feels more natural rather than artificial.
Another issue I had with the Clubsport was aquaplaning in heavy rain on my particular route, which wouldn’t apply to 99.99% of the rest of the population. Low lying coastal roads with no real water run off resulting in huge deep puddles would see the Clubby skip at bit. I wanted to see if 4WD would ease that and going from the extreme rain last week it certainly makes a positive difference.

The 8.5 will also probably need a couple years to ensure all the software is fully sorted, but it should be a big improvement on the mk8 system in certain areas. Whether those areas are relevant to each individual buyer is going to vary a lot.
Just make sure you don’t have a Sarah Connor in your contacts otherwise that AI will be coming for you!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 09 January 2024, 19:29 »
Could there be a MK9 (more of a second facelift to MK8), given the softening of stance that we must all be in hybrids and BEVs soon. I think that's mainly for the EU to buy some time for the German/French/Italian/Spanish car industries being clobbered by cheap Chinese imports (especially for BEVs) while they decide how to tariff them out of contention.

If I end up getting QP training I've promised myself an RS3 or similar before the doors close on Pure ICE purchases, and then keep it as long as I can.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2024, 19:32 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 09 January 2024, 20:52 »
Quite likely there will be a mk9 now I reckon.
I’m no conspiracy theorist but it seems remarkably coincidental that there was a full bore rush of Western nations towards electrification and suddenly, as if orchestrated, the brakes went on sharply in a backlash. This was accompanied by loads of sensationalist anti-EV sentiment whipped up by very obviously biased and possibly financed online naysayers who seem to have a lot of negative doom laden ‘facts’ and a remarkable amount of promotion from seemingly nowhere.
All this coincided with the legacy marques such as VW, Mercedes, BMW and Ford to name but a few suddenly and roundly being left standing by the influx of Far Eastern marques kicking arse.
Suspicious? Hmmm…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 09 January 2024, 21:25 »
Quite likely there will be a mk9 now I reckon.
I’m no conspiracy theorist but it seems remarkably coincidental that there was a full bore rush of Western nations towards electrification and suddenly, as if orchestrated, the brakes went on sharply in a backlash. This was accompanied by loads of sensationalist anti-EV sentiment whipped up by very obviously biased and possibly financed online naysayers who seem to have a lot of negative doom laden ‘facts’ and a remarkable amount of promotion from seemingly nowhere.
All this coincided with the legacy marques such as VW, Mercedes, BMW and Ford to name but a few suddenly and roundly being left standing by the influx of Far Eastern marques kicking arse.
Suspicious? Hmmm…

Outside of cheap running of company cars (2% BiK) and salary sacrifice schemes,new BEV sales are tanking. No one is buying a new BEV with their own money right now. All the big finance companies are about to take a bath on end of PCP returns. A lot of the BEVs are worth significantly less than GFV at 3 years old, they're being given back at a loss.

I did a motorway valuation on our Born, it's 19 months old, cost £38600, and although we bought it outright, the GFV on PCP terms at 3 years old was £19950. Motorway currently say its worth £22900. When I got shot of our other Born (Same spec) last April for the S3, I got £31200 (although there weren't many takers for it then, a lot of the dealerships had a BEV buy ban on following Tesla dropping its RRPs £9k. That's some hefty depreciation in the last 8 months for the Born, and the Born is doing better than most as a % of RRP retained.

The only way to buy a BEV with your own money right now is used, and save a fortune over list.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 09 January 2024, 22:04 »
But that sudden drop in demand which then killed residuals is again linked to what I posted above. It all happened almost overnight as prior to that there was buoyant demand and bad supply. Well, bad supply from Western marques.
The market could well turn again just as quickly, these things are political, and then suddenly demand changes again.

https://youtu.be/Avf-mOsAodw?si=ZYNdKcMgVq7WM80a
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 10 January 2024, 06:44 »
But that sudden drop in demand which then killed residuals is again linked to what I posted above. It all happened almost overnight as prior to that there was buoyant demand and bad supply. Well, bad supply from Western marques.
The market could well turn again just as quickly, these things are political, and then suddenly demand changes again.

https://youtu.be/Avf-mOsAodw?si=ZYNdKcMgVq7WM80a

I definitely benefitted when prices went crazy the other way - we sold an ID3 Family PP that cost us £28200 for ££38200 to buy that Born, so man maths says the Born only really cost £28600.

Back then though, there was a demand by the private buyers, that demand has evaporated. I think that everyone that wants a BEV for themselves now has one. They're having to give them away now to shift them. Depreciation aside, a BEV only saves money and is convenient if you have a home charger. Without being able to charge at home, a BEV is a PITA, and expensive to charge.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #79 on: 10 January 2024, 15:58 »
If, as likely, we see a big change in government in the UK this year things might gradually skew in another direction. World politics will still be at play though. Another thing creeping into the market is manufacturers taking full control of new car pricing which seems to be a global model. Mercedes is already doing it, MINI quite possibly are too, Cupra do it with the Born but not yet other models, BMW are lining up for it, the Koreans do it to an extent so no doubt other marques are following or already quietly doing it. VW have hinted it’s not far off. Dealers are literally becoming a smile and handshake with the importer pulling all the strings.

Anyhow, moving away from geopolitics and car industry strategy of which I know very little about aside from a passing interest and occasionally being on the painful financial receiving end, it’s approaching the end of week two with Daisy.

I’ve not yet woken in the night screaming with regret or concern for the likely financial time bomb I’ve signed up for, and in fact I’m quite enjoying the experience.
It’s a bit different to the Clubby but not too different, and it’s a Golf at the end of the day so it looks quite nice from some angles, does things a Golf should do, is warm and cosy (having had plenty of dodgy weather since being thrust into my care) and drives very nicely (moans about DSG and Soundaktor aside which would apply to any sporty Golf model).

My Clubsport was sold within a week, so if the buyer ever reads this then you’ve got a good ‘un, it had a very sympathetic first owner! 😁
Just get the door seals and maybe suspension bushes and boots lubed as they were squeaking a little when manoevering since the cooler weather set in…
Oh, and make sure there’s air in the tyres as they sat wrapped up in my garage for three years and still had the factory chalk on them when I sold the car to VW.

Regrets for me not waiting for an 8.5? Not at all so far. 🤞🏻
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner