Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 12548 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #80 on: 10 January 2024, 21:03 »
You'd have been waiting a long time to see a 8.5 (a year I reckon) and maybe like me not wanting to be first into the meat grinder after last time...

I'm constantly spitting fur that my problems were literally my car being 24hrs older than the changes which fixed a lot of the problems..
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Perky

• Not said much yet
« Reply #81 on: 11 January 2024, 07:23 »
I’d expected a drop in MPG due to tranny drag Doc having owned an R previously between GTI’s but not a 10mpg drop, the rear diff must be filled with marshmallow!

A day late update on week 1.

Finally found a happy medium driving profile.
Driving in Sport mode rather than Race but using the paddles a bit more then I used to and “engine noise” turned to Pure as it’s bloody awful the same as in the Clubsport. Might invest in OBD11 to switch it out altogether.
I tried it in Comfort mode for a couple journeys and it basically sends the gearbox to sleep.

The bigger/better paddles are another ‘pro’ and I find I actually remember to use them now.

Happy to say Daisy earned her stripes (spots?) during Henk. Much less aquaplaning than the Clubsport suffered over the huge puddles my commute suffers from in wet weather (very low lying estuary roads with hills depositing surface water run off). Henk hoofed it down and Daisy took it all in her stride.
We’re properly bonding now.

She badly needs a wash.

And I’ll stop blithering on about her now and we can get back to GTI chatter elsewhere…

What mpg were you getting with the Clubby vs the R now?

The best mpg I’ve had from my CS is 49mpg

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
« Reply #82 on: 11 January 2024, 11:09 »
You'd have been waiting a long time to see a 8.5 (a year I reckon) and maybe like me not wanting to be first into the meat grinder after last time...

I'm constantly spitting fur that my problems were literally my car being 24hrs older than the changes which fixed a lot of the problems..

I have to agree Fred. I'm in the process of getting a 7.5 to keep for about 18-24 months and then order the 8.5. By that time they would have sorted any potential issues with the new infotainment (hopefully). Hopefully there's some discounts to be had then too.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #83 on: 11 January 2024, 15:47 »
I like to imagine there might be a discount but increasingly car manufacturers are controlling their prices. There are no discounts just rrp...

I've also got to mentally get over the hurdle of paying "luxury car tax" for a bloody golf
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #84 on: 11 January 2024, 17:06 »
I've never paid 'luxury' car tax before and I'm also not happy about the prospect.  It means that a good second hand car is much more attractive given someone will have paid the tax for the first few of the five years and that's worth a tidy sum.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #85 on: 11 January 2024, 18:12 »

Mine was a pretty early build but was relatively trouble free, mine was a zero option car though so maybe spec affects the gremlins as yours is well optioned?

I always felt late in a model cycle cars are the best developed and most stable, this was echoed by Neil Birkitt in Volkswagen Driver mag some years ago in an editorial and as he test drove cars professionally I think his views hold far more weight than mine. I’ve owned a few end of line Golfs over the years and they were a) better built than early run examples and b ) often had sneaky further cost cutting! 

Can you give us some tips??! 😁
That’s mighty impressive

I've never paid 'luxury' car tax before and I'm also not happy about the prospect.  It means that a good second hand car is much more attractive given someone will have paid the tax for the first few of the five years and that's worth a tidy sum.

As Fred says, it’s pretty galling paying it on a bloody Golf.
The salesperson in my local dealership put it very well “£180 you generally can pay without too much thought but £600 needs properly budgeting for”
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #86 on: 11 January 2024, 20:26 »

Best I've had so far is about 30  :grin:
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline jon87

• Not said much yet
« Reply #87 on: 11 January 2024, 20:50 »

Mine was a pretty early build but was relatively trouble free, mine was a zero option car though so maybe spec affects the gremlins as yours is well optioned?

I always felt late in a model cycle cars are the best developed and most stable, this was echoed by Neil Birkitt in Volkswagen Driver mag some years ago in an editorial and as he test drove cars professionally I think his views hold far more weight than mine. I’ve owned a few end of line Golfs over the years and they were a) better built than early run examples and b ) often had sneaky further cost cutting! 

I have to agree. I watched this video earlier today which pretty much sums up the difference in build quality of the MK8 from when it was launched to the late builds in 2023 and 2024:
https://youtu.be/grHSG1WsVLU?si=JSarBm6BJojIL9Fs

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #88 on: 12 January 2024, 15:54 »
That’s a good vid Jon, antipodean summer fashion aside, I quite enjoyed watching that. Maybe he was a bit extreme in his summary of build quality variables between early and late builds as my experiences aren’t quite that dramatic but I do feel that constant development over a model cycle does make a difference.
It’s also good to see a press car not optioned to the hilt and therefore not full of distractions from the basics of the car.

Doc, it seems like you’re properly enjoying the car!!

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #89 on: 18 January 2024, 12:30 »
@Exonian,

Does the new car have heated steering wheel?

You might have needed it this morning.

Congrats on the new motor, btw
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.