Author Topic: Meet Daisy…  (Read 14845 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Meet Daisy…
« Reply #60 on: 06 January 2024, 22:31 »
just had a new steering wheel and no bongs so far.  For my final 6 months it may finally turn into the car I've been paying for all this time.

Before the bing bong symphonies started at 2 years and after they’d been cured at around two and a half years my Clubsport was a joy to own.
There’s only been a very small handful of cars I’ve felt pained to part with out of the dozens I’ve owned and that car was one of them. It’s the longest I’ve kept a car other than second car runabouts and as I said in post #1 I only ordered another because of the bing bong issues and really dragged my heels to part with it once the issue was fixed. Someone will get a great car for half decent value when it gets bought at the dealer it’s in as the paintwork was all original, aside from three very small stonechips it was free of scratches and marks. Even the windscreen was original and not chipped at 26k miles. Four brand new alloys and tyres and a nearly new steering wheel! 😁
With a light machine polish and the door seals treated with some lube (they’d got a little creaky at manoeuvring speed) it’d be almost like new.

Hopefully you’ll feel the same emotions with yours BillSan.

I ordered an R as even the Clubby is £42k new now, so decided if I was going to have to pay the “luxury”  :rolleyes: VED  I might as well cough up the extra for an R to see what all the YouTuber love in’s were all about. I really enjoyed my 7R and might well have bought the 8R at launch had it been released before the Clubsport. The purchase then (Dec 2020) was purely timing as my lad wanted to borrow a stack of money for a house deposit and the easiest way to come up with the money quickly was releasing the equity in the car I had at the time (which was fully owned) so took my first ever PCP out to buy the Clubby which I’d spotted by chance when the first ones available to customers rolled off the boat. Had the VW dealer not come up with a great deal I’d be in a MINI JCW as that was plan B. Lee evo1986 had given me a heads up that the first Clubsports were arriving and he’d sent me a photo of his demo car he fitted some 19” wheels to. 

The Clubsport and I hit it off immediately and it’ll be a very tough act to follow.

What mpg were you getting with the Clubby vs the R now?

My usual daily trip is 24 to 26 mile round trip in lightish traffic, a mixture of country A road (though nearer to B Road quality as its narrow and winding) interspersed with a few villages with 20 and 30 zones, a few miles of 40 zone, then a 40mph suburban ring road complete with traffic lights galore.
This is done at least six days a week at least once a day. Obviously other longer and shorter trips get thrown in the mix but the long term average mpg in the Clubsport over summer was 40mpg.

Here’s a screenshot of the best mpg I managed on my own and not assisted by being stuck behind Gladys in her i10 which I was quite proud of as I usually go a bit quicker when unhindered. This was back in October I think. I took the screenshot to post up on here for a laugh but never did as I decided it was being somewhat lame.

The R is more like this

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #61 on: 07 January 2024, 10:08 »
Were you driving on that 45mpg run or did you lend your car to sootchucker for the day?  :grin:

For your typical journey, that's likely a 35mpg trip in my S3. Not sure if the ratios are different in the DSG boxes, the S3 is pushed more as a fast cruiser than a fun and flingable hot hatch (as per lack of additional diffs that the R has).

I'd say my S3 is thirstier on short trips than my old annual R, but definitely up on the longer journeys.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 07 January 2024, 11:00 »
 :grin:  :grin: I’m sure Sootchucker could’ve stretched it over 50mpg!

My old manual 7R did similar MPG to this 8R, the GTI’s always fared better, naturally, with less arse end weight and transmission losses.
The mk8 Clubsport was surprisingly economical in gentle use. Which reminds me, the Clubby would often freewheel whereas the R doesn’t seem to have this feature.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 07 January 2024, 14:40 »
:grin:  :grin: I’m sure Sootchucker could’ve stretched it over 50mpg!

My old manual 7R did similar MPG to this 8R, the GTI’s always fared better, naturally, with less arse end weight and transmission losses.
The mk8 Clubsport was surprisingly economical in gentle use. Which reminds me, the Clubby would often freewheel whereas the R doesn’t seem to have this feature.

My S3 definitely freewheels when conditions are right for it, that's not in eco mode either (which I never use). I often see the rev counter drop to about 900 rpm on a long slight downhill or flat straight. Not sure it does it in "Dynamic" mode (Audi's equivalent to "Race")

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 07 January 2024, 16:07 »
My Clubsport freewheeled in everything except full fat sports mode and surely that’s got to be worth at least 0.02mpg?!!  😁
Nada in the R as yet, even in comfort mode which shoves the car into 7th ASAP and then steadfastly refuses to move from there even when the car feels like it’s going to stall up an incline doing 40 - the engine way off boost at just over tickover.
Sport is a bit like Normal in a GTI/Clubsport and seems fine, Race is a bit too racy for general use unless you’re just cruising the local ring road looking for Teslas to humble you.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 07 January 2024, 18:54 »
Although it was a while ago since i read the manual for my Mk8 Golf R when i had it (which i never usually do, as it was about as dull as reading a dictionary),  But i think i can remember it stating the DSG had to be in 'D' mode for the car to be able to coast or freewheel... although i might be wrong as it was a while ago when i read about this info... so who knows?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 07 January 2024, 22:01 »
Yes, definitely D Brendan. Probably E as well if using Comfort.
But mine doesn’t at all, as yet at least.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #67 on: 07 January 2024, 23:16 »
Interestingly (or maybe strangely), my 7.5 GTI only freewheels when in full Eco mode. It doesn't if you're in Individual and have the powertrian set to Eco...  :nerd:
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #68 on: 08 January 2024, 09:58 »
I know the Mk8 R is a little different to the GTI/Clubby when it comes to modes etc

My GTI will freewheel only in D gearbox mode. If its S it doesn't.

It doesn't care about any of the other settings other than something that puts the gearbox in S.

As for how many difference it makes to mpg.... I'd say a fair bit actually... over distance if you actually are coming off of the zoom pedal it probably can add a good 5mpg to your fuel use. But you have to learn to come off the gas.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 09 January 2024, 06:39 »
I know the Mk8 R is a little different to the GTI/Clubby when it comes to modes etc

My GTI will freewheel only in D gearbox mode. If its S it doesn't.

It doesn't care about any of the other settings other than something that puts the gearbox in S.

As for how many difference it makes to mpg.... I'd say a fair bit actually... over distance if you actually are coming off of the zoom pedal it probably can add a good 5mpg to your fuel use. But you have to learn to come off the gas.

My S3 is the same - will freewheel in "D" mode on the gearbox, not "S" mode. It'll freewheel from stone cold too.