Author Topic: Soft paintwork MK7 ?  (Read 13782 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Soft paintwork MK7 ?
« on: 28 April 2014, 16:47 »
I know this has sort of been discussed before, but does anyone else think the paintwork on my MK7 really susceptible to marks, scratches and chips ?

The GTD is the current VW in a line of 5 we have had on the trot, and I have to say in the 7 months of ownership I have had more stone chips and light scratches on it than I've ever had on any of the other cars. My previous to this Scirocco after nearly 3 years looked better than my GTD does at 7 months.

It seem I only have to look at it and it marks. I currently have 3 fairly long scratches - on on the boot lid above the GTD logo, one of the drivers door extending into the passengers door and one on the front nearside wing coming from the A-pillar downwards, as well as a number of stone chips on the front bumper, one of the drivers side mirror and one on the offside rear door.

They are all quite light and I'm sure when I machine polish the car later on this spring they will come out, but bloody hell, what a PITA ! I wash my car properly, (lambswool mit, 2 bucket method, and dry with ultra plush drying towels by patting), so I don't think my car wash technique is responsible for all the marks (maybe just the general cobwebbing etc).

Anyone else experiencing this ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Soft paintwork MK7 ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2014, 17:23 »
The red paint layer is woefully thin, it must have excellent opacity to be so red and yet so thin. My dad has a stone chip that's quite deep (down to the primer), and it would appear that his (DBP) black paint layer is twice as thick as my red layer.

I had a bad chip on my bonnet, near the apex of the side creases, and painted it up so it doesn't look bad. A smart repairer could have made it look a little better, but not much. Needs a smidge of lacquer, giving the red time to harden properly.

Did you C2V3 your car? Perhaps your boot scratch is a scratch in the coating. I caused a scratch of my own in the C2V3 layer (jeans stud when washing the car, I think), and it palished out easy enough by hand and then reapplied the C2V3.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2014, 18:02 »
Its really thin on the bonnet edge! I had a chip right down to the primer at the weekend which is now filled and lacquered but agree the paint is really thin.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2014, 18:59 »
I have just found 3 new chips since my last trip.  One is on the roof.  I think I know when this one happened, it was a Range Rover over taking in front of me, staying wide when there was no need to, going through chevrons throwing a bloody great stone back at my car which made an almighty bang when it hit.  The language was blue :sad:

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2014, 19:28 »
Yes I had my 1st today and it only felt like a stone lightly hit it, but when I got out I have a mark right at the top of the bonnet. The paint on my mk6 seemed miles better.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline Tonebatch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2014, 19:43 »
Yes My tornado red GTI has got a big chip on the bonnet. It was only two weeks old. Absolutely gutted.  Dont know when it happened. Never even heard it hit. Have since painted over it (badly). Paranoid now! Dodging and weaving every time another vehicle comes anywhere near me. Paint quality seems very poor. Dissapointing and spoils an otherwise brilliant car.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2014, 19:47 »
Apart from my mishap recently on the motorway I've been relatively lucky up to this point. I've had a few tiny stone chips on the bonnet but most of the chips have happened on the front bumper which is to be expected, nothing absolutely terrible though.

I have to say i'm so glad I chose pure white as I was really contemplating changing my mind having always had black cars. Compared to black its so much easier to keep it looking good and it hides the swirls and chips so much better. The tar spots are the only real bugger but a little patience and they soon come off.

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2014, 19:48 »
Paint problems on the MK7 are well known and discussed on various forums. If everyone who is having problems writes/phones/emails VW and makes them aware, perhaps VW might listen and look at improving things???

Offline GiT1984

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2014, 23:37 »
It's not that the paint is soft - quite the opposite. The two pack paints of yesteryear were soft enough for some stones to just bounce off .... Modern, water based paints go very hard (read brittle) when dry and hence the chipping is worse.

I can't comment on the TR specifically, in terms of thickness, but if you're comparing it to a metallic paint, then these are generally thicker to get the depth of reflection and are, of course, covered in lacquer.

I've just found my first, nasty chip, on the flat part of the bonnets top crease just before the windscreen on the right hand side.... :( 
2014 Mk7 GTi - CSG, PP, Leather, DSG, ACC, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Reversing Camera, Rear Airbags, Winter pack.

2013 Porsche Boxster S

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2014, 06:01 »
I think this is a real weakness for vw, my mk6 CW had the same with 'thin' patches. I never challenged it as it wasn't that apparent on a white car. I'd contest it and see how you go but be prepared for a car that looks like a harlequin polo if they start painting panels.

Which is worse, a light patch that probably you'd only notice or a while panel that looks different from every angle?