Author Topic: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port  (Read 42715 times)

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port
« Reply #60 on: 14 November 2013, 23:45 »
I don't think the retro-fit is going to be too hard to fit or cause rattles.
They will replace the cable from the back of the CD/SD unit in the glove box which runs to the central console door where the MDI unit sits.
Two parts / 30 min job approx  :smiley:
I doubt they won't be able to retro fit it though, but the notion of a new car and getting to use the current one is epic  :grin:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #61 on: 15 November 2013, 07:54 »
ey guys... sorry for the delay...

Ok, still dealing with UK Execs office. They have a same spec GTI, and have ordered a new wiring loom and the MDI kit, which arrived tuesday this week. They are planning to take the car to bits to see if they can retro fit the port. Should know the results soon.

I was told that if they could, I'd be offered a retro fit AND good will gesture. However if they couldn't they would offer to order me a new car!! Which I must say I was flabberghasted with! I was expecting just a goodwill gesture. But they said their GTI was the jewel in their crown and wants every customer to be happy, and if I wasnt without the MDI they'd replace my car.

So not sure what I want the out come to be! lol... another new car in 3-6 months (depending on current build time) would be nice, but I do love my car so just to get a working MDI port would be awesome!

Will keep you posted....

Please can you let me know your case number is as my contact at VW doesn't believe me when I tell him its being worked on. I have to say its soul destroying to have a car with a major issue that I haven't even picked up yet. VW should be ashamed and embarrassed by this issue and doing everything to help their customers.
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #62 on: 15 November 2013, 15:54 »
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #63 on: 15 November 2013, 16:54 »
I think Volkswagen definately missed a trick here with the Adv phone kit.
They should have made cars which have been specified with Adv phone kit to have its MDI installed under the armrest, that way you can use both music and adv phone kit functions at the sametime.

So as it currently stands, if I want to make use of the adv phone kit I wont be able to plug it into the MDI.
The MDI is located at the front under the A/C controls  :rolleyes: :angry: :sick:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 16 November 2013, 13:43 »
Ok just had a look at my BW 44 car that was actually built in BW 45 and can confirm it was built to build week 44 spec so there is no MDI!!

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #65 on: 18 November 2013, 12:54 »

Hey guys... sorry for the delay...

Ok, still dealing with UK Execs office. They have a same spec GTI, and have ordered a new wiring loom and the MDI kit, which arrived tuesday this week. They are planning to take the car to bits to see if they can retro fit the port. Should know the results soon.

I was told that if they could, I'd be offered a retro fit AND good will gesture. However if they couldn't they would offer to order me a new car!! Which I must say I was flabberghasted with! I was expecting just a goodwill gesture. But they said their GTI was the jewel in their crown and wants every customer to be happy, and if I wasnt without the MDI they'd replace my car.

So not sure what I want the out come to be! lol... another new car in 3-6 months (depending on current build time) would be nice, but I do love my car so just to get a working MDI port would be awesome!

Will keep you posted....

Hey Nick

Did you get an update from VW on this retrofit?

cheers
Neil

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #66 on: 25 November 2013, 13:09 »
According to ETKA, there is a new USB Socket module (the one that goes in front of the gear stick), that is USB and Ipod Compatible:

5G0 035 222 D (the "D" at the end is the important bit)- ETKA Description - Electronic Interface for External Use - AUX In, USB (ipod Compatible). This seems to be around the £20 mark ish.

It would seem that this would need to be used with a new connection cable (between the USB Module and the Media unit in the glove box) 5G0 971 650 AA (as this one superseded the old cable on 1st August 2013, again the "AA" at the end is important). These seem to be around the £35-£40 mark.

Of course I've never tried these, just reporting what ETKA says.

Anybody know if BW45 cars will get this new USB / iPod interface?
I ordered the Advanced Phone Kit but really wanted iPod connectivity too for iPhone music.
I think Volkswagen should have just made the 5v USB port in the arm rest iPod compatible, that way you have the advanced phone, charging and iPod function all in one location.

How on earth can I use iPod/MDI if the phone has to be in the armrest to make use of the advanced phone kit.  :huh:

Surely cars out of the factory to the UK should have this addressed?
Anybody else had any positive news regarding MDI/iPod on UK cars with Advanced Phone Kit?  :sad:

Got the advanced prep. in my car, so no MDI,   :sad: not best impressed. Agree not well thought out by VW.
Asked my dealer to get me the module and lead mentioned above. Both currently on back order with VW UK.
Will post up if they arrive and work ok.

Hi
Did you ever get these parts fitted and did they work at all?

I have just been informed by VW that they can't retrofit a MDI socket in to the car and basically I'm stuffed. The day before my car went in to production, after a 6 month wait I was offered the option of cancelling my order and waiting a further 6 months for a new order. Because I had already sold my car by this stage I had no choice but to go ahead and presume they would resolve the problem.
If the new USB socket does provide full control of an ipod that would resolve the problem.

Thanks
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #67 on: 25 November 2013, 18:17 »
I think I found why MDI was dropped from cars with advanced phone.

There are 2 MDI option codes:

UF8: MDI
UI7: MDI for cars with PTS (PTS is advanced phone)

So UF8 is not compatible with advanced phone for some reason so was dropped and UI7 was not specced in its place.
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline ginnes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #68 on: 25 November 2013, 21:30 »
According to ETKA, there is a new USB Socket module (the one that goes in front of the gear stick), that is USB and Ipod Compatible:

5G0 035 222 D (the "D" at the end is the important bit)- ETKA Description - Electronic Interface for External Use - AUX In, USB (ipod Compatible). This seems to be around the £20 mark ish.

It would seem that this would need to be used with a new connection cable (between the USB Module and the Media unit in the glove box) 5G0 971 650 AA (as this one superseded the old cable on 1st August 2013, again the "AA" at the end is important). These seem to be around the £35-£40 mark.

Of course I've never tried these, just reporting what ETKA says.

Anybody know if BW45 cars will get this new USB / iPod interface?
I ordered the Advanced Phone Kit but really wanted iPod connectivity too for iPhone music.
I think Volkswagen should have just made the 5v USB port in the arm rest iPod compatible, that way you have the advanced phone, charging and iPod function all in one location.

How on earth can I use iPod/MDI if the phone has to be in the armrest to make use of the advanced phone kit.  :huh:

Surely cars out of the factory to the UK should have this addressed?
Anybody else had any positive news regarding MDI/iPod on UK cars with Advanced Phone Kit?  :sad:

Got the advanced prep. in my car, so no MDI,   :sad: not best impressed. Agree not well thought out by VW.
Asked my dealer to get me the module and lead mentioned above. Both currently on back order with VW UK.
Will post up if they arrive and work ok.

Hi
Did you ever get these parts fitted and did they work at all?

I have just been informed by VW that they can't retrofit a MDI socket in to the car and basically I'm stuffed. The day before my car went in to production, after a 6 month wait I was offered the option of cancelling my order and waiting a further 6 months for a new order. Because I had already sold my car by this stage I had no choice but to go ahead and presume they would resolve the problem.
If the new USB socket does provide full control of an ipod that would resolve the problem.

Thanks

Still no word on these parts from my dealer, so can't tell you if they work.  :sad:
Current - Mk 7 GTI, Audi S2 Avant, Audi ur quattro
Finally arrived, only took 25 weeks! - Mk 7 GTI Tornado Red 5 Dr DSG.
PP, ACC, Keyless entry, Discover Pro, Park assist, Rear view camera, Winter pack, Climate windscreen, Advanced Phone prep.

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #69 on: 26 November 2013, 08:28 »
I think I found why MDI was dropped from cars with advanced phone.

There are 2 MDI option codes:

UF8: MDI
UI7: MDI for cars with PTS (PTS is advanced phone)

So UF8 is not compatible with advanced phone for some reason so was dropped and UI7 was not specced in its place.
Presumably the cock up is by VW marketing dept in UK and since there aren't many cars involved is the reason they are choosing to do nothing about it. Useless and pathetic customer service.