Author Topic: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port  (Read 42547 times)

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port
« Reply #70 on: 26 November 2013, 08:35 »
I think I found why MDI was dropped from cars with advanced phone.

There are 2 MDI option codes:

UF8: MDI
UI7: MDI for cars with PTS (PTS is advanced phone)

So UF8 is not compatible with advanced phone for some reason so was dropped and UI7 was not specced in its place.
Presumably the cock up is by VW marketing dept in UK and since there aren't many cars involved is the reason they are choosing to do nothing about it. Useless and pathetic customer service.
when I spoke to VW CS they told me a retro fit was in the works for the cars that came without MDI.
Worst case it's about £90 in parts, surely local dealerships can fit it.  :huh:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #71 on: 26 November 2013, 13:11 »

So UF8 is not compatible with advanced phone for some reason so was dropped and UI7 was not specced in its place.
Presumably the cock up is by VW marketing dept in UK and since there aren't many cars involved is the reason they are choosing to do nothing about it. Useless and pathetic customer service.
when I spoke to VW CS they told me a retro fit was in the works for the cars that came without MDI.
I had a phone call yesterday from VW customer service confirming that UK technical have been unable to fit an MDI socket and they are not working on any other alternative solution!! Because they told me the night before my car started to be built and I could have cancelled it they will do nothing more for me!!
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #72 on: 26 November 2013, 13:14 »
This is bad.  :angry:
Your only option is to reject the car and have your dealership re-order.
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro

Offline kevinm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #73 on: 26 November 2013, 15:32 »

I had a phone call yesterday from VW customer service confirming that UK technical have been unable to fit an MDI socket and they are not working on any other alternative solution!! Because they told me the night before my car started to be built and I could have cancelled it they will do nothing more for me!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the night before your car was built you believed VW would have a retrofit solution so you were mis-informed at the time. I think you have every right to reject the car.

I got my info from the Italian price list if you want to have a look for yourself or use as ammo against VW UK:
http://it.volkswagen.com/content/medialib/vwd4/it/listini/listino_prezzi/golf-7-gti/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.file/listino-prezzi-volkswagen-nuova-golfgtd-gti.pdf
Current: His: 2020 M340i   Hers: 2019 GTD

Previous:
2014 GTI PP DSG
GTI ED30 DSG

Offline adey V

• Not said much yet
« Reply #74 on: 26 November 2013, 18:27 »
Yep I have just finished speaking to VW UK and they confirmed no plans to do a retro fit or any standard compensation, did offer to reimburse me the price of the telephone prep which I had to have due to the heated windscreen which then caused me to lose the MDI lead. I said what about the price of the sat nav pro that I ordered to use with my phone via the lead ! Told him to read this section on this site, waiting for them to get back to me. Anyone else got any bright ideas 'cos it looks like VW are going to just say tough, makes me  :sick:
GTi PP 3 door DSG, carbon grey, Pan sunroof, ACC, winter pack, keyless, Pro nav. climate windscreen, advance phone prep.

Offline deZmo

• Just got here
« Reply #75 on: 06 December 2013, 22:45 »
Guys, new to the forum and have appreciated the info shared on this topic. My car is affected. Was told on Wed. there would be no retrofit or fix by VW and discussion moved on to comp. After discussing terms I left it with them.

Got a call today expecting an offer of financial compensation. I was surprised to learn they believe they have a fix involving a special cable to connect your iPhone to the existing USB socket.

Apparently it's awaiting factory approval so no more info was available. I was told to expect a definitive response no later than a week today. Will let you know what happens. For me, this would be the best outcome. I'd rather have the functionality I paid for than live without it for as long as I own the car. Fingers crossed this finally gets solved.
GTi, Tornado Red, DSG, Performance Pack 5 Door
Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Panoramic roof, tele prep, climate pack, rear camera.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #76 on: 07 December 2013, 11:31 »
Its a real shame Volkswagen didn't fit the MDI or this new USB socket/cable in the central armrest when specifying the Advanced Phone Kit.... as it currently stands you are unable to use the MDI collection or the Advanced Phone Kit as the same time.  :rolleyes: :whistle:

I am going to see if I can route a iPod extension cable from the MDI into the armrest compartment to get around this silly mistake by Volkswagen.

Also my BW46 car did NOT come with a iPhone5 cable from factory......  :embarrassed:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 07 December 2013, 22:52 »
Guys, new to the forum and have appreciated the info shared on this topic. My car is affected. Was told on Wed. there would be no retrofit or fix by VW and discussion moved on to comp. After discussing terms I left it with them.

Got a call today expecting an offer of financial compensation. I was surprised to learn they believe they have a fix involving a special cable to connect your iPhone to the existing USB socket.

Apparently it's awaiting factory approval so no more info was available. I was told to expect a definitive response no later than a week today. Will let you know what happens. For me, this would be the best outcome. I'd rather have the functionality I paid for than live without it for as long as I own the car. Fingers crossed this finally gets solved.

Hi deZmo
Please can you let me know your case number so I can chase up VW, I last spoke to them on Wednesday and they told me there would be no solution and that I already had the latest USB socket. It would be great if they could sort it. Thanks.
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #78 on: 09 December 2013, 10:07 »
Hi folks,

I wouldnt worry to much about not having MDI as you can only use either the Advanced Phone Kit or MDI but not both at the same time.  :cry:
Just push for some compensation for not having the MDI fitted as per all the marketing materials and enjoy the cars.
I ended up loading a 32GB SD card up eventhough I have a MDI fitted  :rolleyes:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro

Offline deZmo

• Just got here
« Reply #79 on: 09 December 2013, 20:15 »
Hiya Guys, tend to agree about hassle of phone connection or MDI but I find my phone works ok even if not in the correct place in central storage. More hassle to have to transfer songs  to my SD card every time I buy some new music - which is pretty much daily  :grin:

Happy Hippo, not got a note of my case #. I'm talking to Brian in customer services using my reg #. Will update the thread as soon as I hear more. Should be Friday if they keep their promise.

GTi, Tornado Red, DSG, Performance Pack 5 Door
Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Panoramic roof, tele prep, climate pack, rear camera.