Author Topic: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port  (Read 42625 times)

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port
« on: 15 September 2013, 13:27 »

I was horrified to find that when you choose the Advanced Telephone Prep you lose the MDI port in the front storage compartment, meaning I now have a problem with using my ipod in the car. Yes, I can stream bluetooth audio but you can not browse the phone for media etc so have to ensure that you are on the album or playlist when you get in the car.

I stupidly thought that the USB port in the compartment meant that I could plug the ipod in, but alas, no. Yes it charges it, but doesn't recognise the device at all and am unable to play from it.

So now my only option is SD card for media playing in the car?? Have I missed anything or has anyone else found a way around this?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2013, 13:30 »
Wow, I've never heard of that before. Is this fact (I.e. do you have the car) or is this what someone told you.

Can't understand what the advanced phone prep has to do with the media offerings. Very strange.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2013, 13:32 »

I have the car! Picked it up Friday... so fact. There is no MDI port, there is an aux in and a USB port in the front storage compartment now. As mine was the first car to have the prep, he didnt know why and is speaking to VW technical about it. Took us 10 minutes to find the climate screen function!!

Am a bit peeved about it to be honest. Really do not understand why they removed it. Why would a user with the phone prep not still want it?!? Its the most important part of the audio system for me!!

Offline EpicUsername

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2013, 13:34 »
I had no idea that plugging your phone in via USB means you can't change the music via the menu! What a ridiculous thing to miss!

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2013, 13:53 »
I have the advanced phone prep on my order and use my ipod via MDI always in my MK6.

None of the marketing material (AFAIK) or dealer mentioned the removal of MDI with advanced phone prep (only took it for climate screen).

If this is the case I will be kicking up a massive fuss come collection day!!!!!!
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2013, 13:59 »
EpicUsername, the USB is for charging only, when I plug my iphone5 into the front USB port I get nothing in the radio. Its not available as a source, so my only option is to bluetooth stream from the iphone. It doesnt get recognised as an audio device, like when using the MDI port on my old Scirocco.

peterdoherty - Absolutely... I was gobsmacked this was the case, as you said, none of the material anywhere says its in lieu of the MDI port or that you lose the port if chosen.

Am now pissing about with media on an SD card to get me something I can play in my fantastic new car!!

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2013, 14:11 »

And just checking... it only plays MP3s from SD cards?? As I have all my music in itunes format!! Will I have to convert everything to MP3??

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2013, 15:29 »

And just checking... it only plays MP3s from SD cards?? As I have all my music in itunes format!! Will I have to convert everything to MP3??

No, check one of the other threads - you do not have to convert to mp3.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline NickNotts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2013, 15:33 »

Thanks matchboy... the radio didn't like the exFAT format as suggested in that post. Reformated to FAT32 and plays fine, only down point now is I don't have artwork for the media as its in itunes format. Playing from SD card also is a bit bland, and going to have to do my own playlists now too.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2013, 15:36 »

Thanks matchboy... the radio didn't like the exFAT format as suggested in that post. Reformated to FAT32 and plays fine, only down point now is I don't have artwork for the media as its in itunes format. Playing from SD card also is a bit bland, and going to have to do my own playlists now too.

You can get all the artwork off the pictures on amazon. It's a bit of a task but it is worth it!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....