Author Topic: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port  (Read 42712 times)

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: Advanced Tele Prep means no MDI Port
« Reply #90 on: 11 December 2013, 09:27 »
I understand only 400 cars (of which mine one) affected by lack of MDI port. Being recognised as manufacturing error. VW are being very pragmatic about resolution.
Yes I agree, when I first spoke to Volkswagen UK, they told me there would be a retro-fit for existing customers and that all future cars would have MDI.
At the very least I think they should offer goodwill in place of no MDI if they have decided not to offer retro-fit solution.
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Itshimself

• Not said much yet
« Reply #91 on: 11 December 2013, 10:58 »

[/quote] Yes I agree, when I first spoke to Volkswagen UK, they told me there would be a retro-fit for existing customers and that all future cars would have MDI.
At the very least I think they should offer goodwill in place of no MDI if they have decided not to offer retro-fit solution.
[/quote]

If you speak to them you'll find they are very prepared to listen to your views about what needs to be done to make it right. It has taken a few weeks but I'm glad they are now putting my situation right  :smiley:

Offline adey V

• Not said much yet
« Reply #92 on: 17 December 2013, 22:46 »
I have sat nav pro with advanced tel prep and in the compartment infront of the gear stick I have a USB and mini jack socket, so here are my questions should that be an MDI socket and I choose which lead I need, is this now standard spec. Do I keep the USB and find another phone that will work with the USB input. VW keep asking me what I would like but not sure as I don't know if I'm better off with I phone 5 and MDI input socket- I guess this gives you the ability to play vids, album art work with track lists? Anyone with new issue cars can you let me know what VW is now putting in as standard. cheers
GTi PP 3 door DSG, carbon grey, Pan sunroof, ACC, winter pack, keyless, Pro nav. climate windscreen, advance phone prep.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #93 on: 17 December 2013, 23:11 »
I have sat nav pro with advanced tel prep and in the compartment infront of the gear stick I have a USB and mini jack socket, so here are my questions should that be an MDI socket and I choose which lead I need, is this now standard spec. Do I keep the USB and find another phone that will work with the USB input. VW keep asking me what I would like but not sure as I don't know if I'm better off with I phone 5 and MDI input socket- I guess this gives you the ability to play vids, album art work with track lists? Anyone with new issue cars can you let me know what VW is now putting in as standard. cheers
Strange, I would have thought your car should have come with a MDI socket, what BW is yours?
Mine is BW46.
I'm pretty annoyed why they couldn't put the MDI socket in the arm rest box next to the advanced phone kit.  :cry:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro

Offline Happy Hippo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #94 on: 18 December 2013, 09:22 »
Strange, I would have thought your car should have come with a MDI socket, what BW is yours?
Mine is BW46.
I'm pretty annoyed why they couldn't put the MDI socket in the arm rest box next to the advanced phone kit.  :cry:
For me the advanced telephone prep does not give any improvement to my phone reception. But the theory is that only 1 piece of kit can go into the arm rest for it to work so the mdi socket is in a different location for people who use a separate ipod/mp3 player rather than their phone.
Golf GTD, ordered May 2013, BW41: 5dr Manual, Oryx White, Discovery Pro, Leather, Dynaudio..

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #95 on: 18 December 2013, 17:29 »
Fair point regarding some people having seperate iPod and mobile phone devices.
I guess I will continue to use my SD card for now until I can figure out a alernative.  :smiley:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro

Offline adey V

• Not said much yet
« Reply #96 on: 18 December 2013, 17:43 »
Not sure of bw but was put together first week of oct. tried to connect i phone via USB in front compartment but could not get it to work, when I selected media inputs the USB was not even highlighted which seems to mean it was not even recognising being connected, any thoughts?
GTi PP 3 door DSG, carbon grey, Pan sunroof, ACC, winter pack, keyless, Pro nav. climate windscreen, advance phone prep.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #97 on: 18 December 2013, 17:49 »
Not sure of bw but was put together first week of oct. tried to connect i phone via USB in front compartment but could not get it to work, when I selected media inputs the USB was not even highlighted which seems to mean it was not even recognising being connected, any thoughts?
Sorry to be the one to give you the bad news but looks like they have fitted the wrong interface :sad: the MDI interface should have been standard fit on all UK MK7 Golf's however Volkswagen messed up and got the UK RHD spec wrong when customers added Adv Phone Kit.
I would get onto your dealership for some form of compensation in lieu of not having the MDI connection.
Your only options are the following as present:-

a) load USB stick with music
b) load SD card with music
c) use bluetooth audio streaming

2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro

Offline adey V

• Not said much yet
« Reply #98 on: 18 December 2013, 22:16 »
yep using SD card and blue tooth but also talking to VW UK as they still have not given me a definite fob off so hoping I can get them to install an MDI socket in place of the USB! Just a little concerned that I cant get the USB to highlight on media menu when used with an apple cable from phone to USB, or do I need a VW specific USB?

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #99 on: 19 December 2013, 07:13 »
yep using SD card and blue tooth but also talking to VW UK as they still have not given me a definite fob off so hoping I can get them to install an MDI socket in place of the USB! Just a little concerned that I cant get the USB to highlight on media menu when used with an apple cable from phone to USB, or do I need a VW specific USB?
It won't have the iPod chips so only works with a USB stick or non-iPhone smartphone.
However VW have designed a USB interface that's supposed to be iPod compatible which needs a new socket unit and wiring loom which goes into the back of the glovebox SD/SD unit.
Some have already indicated that VW dealers have said they can't retro fit etc.
No real solution at present unless you or your dealership swaps it all out.
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro