Poll

Select which setup have you ordered [or are driving]?

GTI (basic setup)
9 (20.9%)
GTI (+ Adaptive Chassis Control)
4 (9.3%)
GTI (+ Performance Pack)
11 (25.6%)
GTI (+ Adaptive Chassis Control + Performance Pack)
19 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Just trying to get a sense of how many people have ordered [or are driving] a GTI without ACC or Performance Pack upgrade.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2013, 09:54 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
Re: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup?
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2013, 08:54 »
After the test drive (with ACC) I was happy with the sport setting, so on the basis the standard suspension will be no worse I left it off the list.

I was clsoe to adding the PP to my order, but in the end I felt I could live without it (hopefully come as standard on the Edition 40!)
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2013, 09:06 »
After the test drive (with ACC) I was happy with the sport setting, so on the basis the standard suspension will be no worse I left it off the list.

I was clsoe to adding the PP to my order, but in the end I felt I could live without it (hopefully come as standard on the Edition 40!)

All very interesting :smiley:

I too test drove the GTI in ACC/Sport to as closely replicate standard setup as possible.

I also wavered about adding PP but decided against it in the end as it was pushing my budget beyond what I wanted to spend. Plus, the test drive car felt fast enough for me :wink:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2013, 09:12 »

All very interesting :smiley:

I too test drove the GTI in ACC/Sport to as closely replicate standard setup as possible.

I also wavered about adding PP but decided against it in the end as it was pushing my budget beyond what I wanted to spend. Plus, the test drive car felt fast enough for me :wink:

Although I jest by stating the PP is a no brainer, the demo GTI I drove was plenty fast enough and it didn't have the PP added.  I don't think speed is the issue with it, its more how the car gets the power down when accelerating hard out of a corner.  Alas, no one here (I don't think) has driven a PP car as yet so we can only rely on the hack's reporting of it instead of a real world view - saying that, I still specced it!  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2013, 09:41 »
i considered both PP and ACC

in the end I didnt feel the ACC was worth the same price as the PP, given the PP model is classified as a separate model, not the basic model + an option.  This brings a slightly higher retained value.

Also, I just felt the hardware the £980 was buying was worth it - everyone says you wont notice the e diff or the extra 10 BHP, but dont forget the PP has much larger front brakes (340mm v 310) and bigger calipers, and vented rather than solid rear discs.

I felt I would get much more use out of this hardware that the adaptive dampers, for the same cash..

Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2013, 09:49 »
I felt I would get much more use out of this hardware [PP] that the adaptive dampers, for the same cash..

I think you're onto something drisser :wink: there's no doubt its a clever piece of kit with some Porsche engineering know-how behind it.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2013, 09:52 by Hawaii-Five-O »

Offline Neil_MK

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 09:50 »
I didn't give consideration to ACC to be honest.  I did think long and hard about PP, mostly because I didn't want to regret going for what might be seen as a 'lesser' model further down the line. But at close on an extra grand, when I think the price of the car is already on the high side (even with a 10% discount), I decided to go completely standard in the end.
Rejected - MK7 Golf GTI 5dr - Pure White - Hailstorm damaged (Ordered 24th April)
Rebuild on order - MK7 Golf GTI 5dr - Pure White - this time with Performance Pack - Confirmed BW40 (no hailstorms this time please!)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 10:01 »
I picked both (because I'm a chump). :wink:

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2013, 10:22 »
I felt I would get much more use out of this hardware that the adaptive dampers, for the same cash..

+1
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
Re: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2013, 10:23 »
I picked both (because I'm a chump). :wink:

Seriously Bear, why do you say that? Or are you just being ironic?