Poll

Select which setup have you ordered [or are driving]?

GTI (basic setup)
9 (20.9%)
GTI (+ Adaptive Chassis Control)
4 (9.3%)
GTI (+ Performance Pack)
11 (25.6%)
GTI (+ Adaptive Chassis Control + Performance Pack)
19 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]  (Read 6577 times)

Running Man

Re: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup?
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2013, 10:30 »
i considered both PP and ACC

in the end I didnt feel the ACC was worth the same price as the PP, given the PP model is classified as a separate model, not the basic model + an option.  This brings a slightly higher retained value.

Also, I just felt the hardware the £980 was buying was worth it - everyone says you wont notice the e diff or the extra 10 BHP, but dont forget the PP has much larger front brakes (340mm v 310) and bigger calipers, and vented rather than solid rear discs.

I felt I would get much more use out of this hardware that the adaptive dampers, for the same cash..

I agree with you drisser, also if I didn't have PP I would probably always feel there's a slightly better GTI available to buy.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2013, 10:31 »
I have both on mine. To be honest i have changed the settings on the ACC a couple of times but not felt a great deal of difference apart from the steering tightening up when in sport mode.

Not had a chance to put the foot down yet so can't really comment on the benefit of the PP. Hoping to get a few days away next week so i'll report back. What i do like is the aesthetics of the PP which is the bigger brakes and the GTI logos on the callipers but you wouldnt pay £980 just for that.

Theres no doubt you could easily live without both options

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2013, 10:56 »
Just ACC here.  At one point I added PP due to peer pressure, but then took it off.  The requirements for speed and agility are more than met by the standard car.  I'm after refinement and comfort, not something to drive like a track car.  People say it's worth it because it's a different model classification so has higher residual...yeah, because you paid more on the first place!  Plus, it's considered different for insurance purposes too, although I can't say what difference it really makes to a premium as I've never checked!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2013, 10:59 »
I can't say what difference it really makes to a premium as I've never checked!

Better handling, should be lower right? :wink:

5-0, I was just being light hearted.  But as Craig says, could easily live without these 2.

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2013, 11:12 »
Just ACC here.  At one point I added PP due to peer pressure, but then took it off.  The requirements for speed and agility are more than met by the standard car.  I'm after refinement and comfort, not something to drive like a track car.  People say it's worth it because it's a different model classification so has higher residual...yeah, because you paid more on the first place!  Plus, it's considered different for insurance purposes too, although I can't say what difference it really makes to a premium as I've never checked!

I think the point is, if you sepcify ACC, sunroof etc, it makes no difference to the residuals on that car, options = lost money.  On the PP model, the classifcation does have an impact on residuals therefore you would hope to loose less on it than most other options.

That said, the totally standard car, with no options at just over £25k, with a decent discount is also a sensible choice ..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #15 on: 02 August 2013, 12:00 »
I can't say what difference it really makes to a premium as I've never checked!

Better handling, should be lower right? :wink:

5-0, I was just being light hearted.  But as Craig says, could easily live without these 2.

Haha, touché ;) The faster you can go around a corner, the harder you fall when driver-error creeps in! lol

I agree though, PP is the option that will hold most value come trade or resale time. Still not enough to convince me that a grand extra to go around the Nurburgring at roughly 1 second faster per mile is worth it!  At the end of the day, it comes down to pub bragging rights, whereby if I wanted something faster, I'd have waited for the Golf R or gone for something else.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 August 2013, 13:46 »
For me ACC was a no no. I have it on my Sirocco and never user it, well maybe once a month to make sure it still works :smiley:. The performance pack was another 1k I wasn't prepared to spend #tightass.

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #17 on: 02 August 2013, 13:50 »
Around the time of the launch I recall reports claiming VW expectations for uptake of the performance pack variously as a third to a half.

So far this poll puts it at over two thirds.  Sign that membership of this forum is skewed towards those who value performance/want the "best" GTI, or indication VW underestimated demand?

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2013, 13:52 »
Nope, just a sign that forum members have more money than sense.  :whistle:
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2013, 13:55 »
Around the time of the launch I recall reports claiming VW expectations for uptake of the performance pack variously as a third to a half.

So far this poll puts it at over two thirds.  Sign that membership of this forum is skewed towards those who value performance/want the "best" GTI, or indication VW underestimated demand?

I would think it's more to do with the kind of person that joins a GTI forum is more likely to be interested in performance, lots of 'normal' GTI buyers won't know what a limited slip differential is.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.