Poll

Select which setup have you ordered [or are driving]?

GTI (basic setup)
9 (20.9%)
GTI (+ Adaptive Chassis Control)
4 (9.3%)
GTI (+ Performance Pack)
11 (25.6%)
GTI (+ Adaptive Chassis Control + Performance Pack)
19 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]  (Read 6575 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
Re: How many have gone for the GTI in basic setup? [POLL]
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2013, 13:56 »
Nope, just a sign that forum members have more money than sense.  :whistle:

Or more knowledge than the normal GTI buyer  :nerd:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline DougL

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2013, 14:03 »

Or more knowledge than the normal GTI buyer  :nerd:

That is perhaps the correct answer and I would think that VW are probably correct with their estimates. I didn't order it as I don't think it is worth it for the driving that I do. I'm buying the GTI for its all round ability and also because I've always wanted one. I did seriously consider the ACC but it adds more complexity for little reason.
Tornado Red GTI 3dr manual

Previous Golfs Mk1 GLS and GL, Mk2 GL and Driver, Mk3 GL, Mk4 GT TDI, Mk6 TDI (and a Mk2 Scirocco 20 years ago)

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2013, 14:05 »
TBH I would have ordered PP if the car I had test driven had it on...it was on my spec list too. However, I drove a car without it in damp conditions and it pulled away from T junctions just fine. The ACC was a definite though. I have had it on a TT, and think it is brilliant. My current "other" car is a MINI Countryman Cooper S All4, and I absolutely HATE the ride quality.

Please bear in mind I'll be having it set to "comfort" mode most of the time!
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline domrees

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2013, 14:56 »
I was really on the fence about ACC. Couldn't decide on which way to go.  I was concerned I would feel like I missed out on something.

Then I did a test drive with a GTI with no PP and ACC.

Really couldnt feel the difference between sport and comfort, so that fell off the spec list.

Still havent driven a PP car yet. That I felt was like others said, a lot of tech for the money.  Looking forward to approaching a fast tight bend and let it do its stuff ;-)
3dr Manual in Pure White with PP, Dynaudio, Nav and Keyless. Oh and a service pack.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #24 on: 02 August 2013, 15:00 »
That is perhaps the correct answer and I would think that VW are probably correct with their estimates. I didn't order it as I don't think it is worth it for the driving that I do. I'm buying the GTI for its all round ability and also because I've always wanted one. I did seriously consider the ACC but it adds more complexity for little reason.

I guess to be fair to VW, the kind of person wanting a GTI and willing to spend £26k+ with extras on is likely to lap up anything to do with extra performance.  Like you though, with the kind of driving I do, and knowing how I drive my current Mk5 GTI, it's just not worth it.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2013, 15:01 »
TBH I would have ordered PP if the car I had test driven had it on...it was on my spec list too. However, I drove a car without it in damp conditions and it pulled away from T junctions just fine. The ACC was a definite though. I have had it on a TT, and think it is brilliant. My current "other" car is a MINI Countryman Cooper S All4, and I absolutely HATE the ride quality.

Please bear in mind I'll be having it set to "comfort" mode most of the time!

My Wife used to have a Cooper S - the worst ride of any car EVER!

My A3 S Line is firmer than the GTI (ACC - set to sport) I test drove, in fact I was happy enough with GTI in sport that i didn't add ACC (assuming Sport is similar, if not firmer than the standard set-up).
Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2013, 15:37 »
(assuming Sport is similar, if not firmer than the standard set-up).

They're about the same, maybe standard set up is a tiny bit softer than ACC sport on my Scirocco.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2013, 15:54 »
ACC isn't just about how firm/soft the car feels - I felt it made the car tighter on bends and more comfortable. Adjusting the feel of the car is an added bonus. IMO it was definitely worth the £s

Offline jrc193

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2013, 16:16 »
I was happy enough to spec the standard car but decided on ACC and PP because a) The minor roads in my country area are atrocious and I'm fed up with my wife complaining about the hard and,  what she calls, jiggly ride of my VRS and b) I drive over mountainous terrain on the continent and in the Canaries during the Winter and wanted the extra security offered by the PP. Let's hope the reviews are vindicated in the real world.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2013, 17:03 by jrc193 »

Offline ChrisJL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2013, 19:28 »
I went for both. Nice to have the option to add some comfort to the car for day to day in traffic then change it for when there's some room to gallop, real big + for me that and was the first thing I ticked. Also wanted PP as thought it might give car slightly better residual and didn't want to be without thinking, there's a slightly better GTI / higher performance GTI that I could've had. That's not saying anything wrong with the car without, absolutely not, just how my head works  :laugh:
Collected 10/09/2013: Mk 7 Golf GTI. 3 Door Manual. Tornado Red. Performance Pack. Adaptive Chassis. Winter Pack. Life Shine Protection.