Author Topic: "Houston we have a problem"  (Read 27952 times)

Jules Winfield

Re: "Houston we have a problem"
« Reply #120 on: 28 June 2013, 20:11 »
True.  And if you're happy in a GTD (as I am), then the fact that the driving experience is better in the GTI is immaterial.  I enjoy the driving experience, and I've never once thought "oh, I wish I'd bought a GTI" or wanted anything more out of it (other than less rattles and more resilient paintwork).

The GTI is better in some ways, the GTD in others.  Classic swings and roundabouts.  Choosing one over the other is a matter for the individual concerned.  For 95% of people, for whom a car is a tool from getting from "A" to "B", the fact that the driving experience is "better" in the car with the red accents is totally irrelevant.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #121 on: 29 June 2013, 11:15 »
Absolutely right, different people value different things in a car.  To be brutally honest, if the GTD looked exactly the same as the GTI, the decision wouldn't be so clear cut.  That's how much importance I put on a lot of the material and design aspects.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #122 on: 02 July 2013, 15:40 »

This is a (metaphorical) line being drawn under my agonising indecision!

My mind is made up. A decision has been made. I've just this minute changed my order from a GTD to a GTI at the expense of my place in the queue. Hope its worth it (won't be seeing it until Oct/Nov by which time you lot will be bored of yours).

New order: GTI, DSG, 5 Door, Pure White (but so, so tempted to switch to Carbon Grey), Keyless, 4yr Warranty, 3yr Service Plan

No ACC and No Performance Pack (though was very tempted but resisted). So, a pretty vanilla GTI.

Thanks so much for all your help and passionate opinion. All good stuff.

GTD fans (me included): Don't hate me or start calling me a scab, turncoat, defector or a Judas :wink:

Yours relieved
Mr H50
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 02 July 2013, 15:42 »

This is a (metaphorical) line being drawn under my agonising indecision!

My mind is made up. A decision has been made. I've just this minute changed my order from a GTD to a GTI at the expense of my place in the queue. Hope its worth it (won't be seeing it until Oct/Nov by which time you lot will be bored of yours).

New order: GTI, DSG, 5 Door, Pure White (but so, so tempted to switch to Carbon Grey), Keyless, 4yr Warranty, 3yr Service Plan

No ACC and No Performance Pack (though was very tempted but resisted). So, a pretty vanilla GTI.

Thanks so much for all your help and passionate opinion. All good stuff.

GTD fans (me included): Don't hate me or start calling me a scab, turncoat, defector or a Judas :wink:

Yours relieved
Mr H50

So what happens if they announce a twin turbo TDI R 225PS with 65mpg in October?  :whistle:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #124 on: 02 July 2013, 15:49 »
Although it sounds like it should be, I'm sure it wasn't such an easy decision for you H5O.  Nice choice of doors and colour (CSG would be equally nice) - keyless just tops it all off nicely.  The wait will be more than worth it I'm sure :)
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #125 on: 02 July 2013, 15:49 »
Great decision, and no surprise you've switched after driving it!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #126 on: 02 July 2013, 15:54 »
So what happens if they announce a twin turbo TDI R 225PS with 65mpg in October?  :whistle:

Now you're really messing with my head :wink:.......... of course I'd change again in an instant!!!

No, no, no really this is it for me now. If I even hint at swopping, amending or tinkering you have permission to shoot me!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #127 on: 02 July 2013, 15:56 »
Bloody turncoat..........

Only kidding, whatever one you pick it will be great, and it's your money so go where your heart is  :grin:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #128 on: 02 July 2013, 16:04 »
Bloody turncoat..........

Only kidding, whatever one you pick it will be great, and it's your money so go where your heart is  :grin:

I knew it, I can feel your indignation :wink:

I'm just bloody relieved to be honest matey.

Gotta forget about that mpg now :grin: :laugh: :grin: :laugh: this is a decision from the heart (not normal for me).
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 16:07 by Hawaii-Five-O »

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #129 on: 02 July 2013, 16:15 »
H50
Once you had that nagging doubt that was it, it was always going to be the GTI. :cool:
You won't regret it. 
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.