Author Topic: Alternatives to the New Golf GTi/GTD  (Read 11206 times)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
Alternatives to the New Golf GTi/GTD
« on: 09 April 2013, 15:26 »
Just curious really.  Did anyone look at other alternatives when ordering their new Golf GTi/ GTD eg Renault Megane 265 Cup, Ford Focus ST, Vauxhall Astra VXR?

I'm not entirely sure that the new GTi represents good value for money compared to its major competitors....  In fact I was on the verge of ordering a new BMW M135i as it was only a couple of grand more expensive.  What swung it for me in the end was the fact that 1) VW were prepared to offer me a GREAT deal, 2) The Bimmer is plain ugly compared to the Golf, 3) Much better legroom in the back of the GTi, 4) More economical, 5) Very happy with my current Mk 6 GTi (probably one of the most accomplised everyday cars I've owned for some while)

In the end it was a very difficult decision and went with the safe option (but could have ended up with either). Part of me wished I had ordered the M135i but I know that I will be just as pleased with the GTi.

Has anyone else been torn with making such a difficult decision?  What swung it for you?
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
Re: Alternatives to the New Golf GTi/GTD
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2013, 15:33 »
The fact that it will be the absolute latest iteration of an icon. And that the new mark 7 is better than mark 6 in every way.

135i is a fantastic car and has had amazing reviews. But 'I think' it really is not pretty... at all!

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2013, 15:55 »
The Focus, Astra and Megane will undoubtedly offer better outright performance and be more focused at anything above 8 10ths, but the Golf is about so much more than that. It always has been.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2013, 16:12 »
To be honest, having been so pleased with my Mk5 GTI for so long, nothing else entered the equation.  I wasn't even planning on swapping until recently when I started reading up on the Golf Mk7 generally, and of course the new GTI after that got announced.  The rest of the bunch are a mixed bag for me in terms of over-styling, and seem to do one or two things well, mainly oriented around performance (which is understandable!)

With the GTI range generally, I love the clean lines, understated looks, and uncluttered interior.  It just does everything you want of a car, which makes it a fantastic all-rounder.  It's comfy, roomy, effortless to drive slow or fast, and brings a smile to my face every time I look at it and drive it.  My heart made the decision before with the Mk5, and my heart made it again with the Mk7 :)

Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2013, 16:13 »
To be honest, having been so pleased with my Mk5 GTI for so long, nothing else entered the equation.  I wasn't even planning on swapping until recently when I started reading up on the Golf Mk7 generally, and of course the new GTI after that got announced.  The rest of the bunch are a mixed bag for me in terms of over-styling, and seem to do one or two things well, mainly oriented around performance (which is understandable!)

With the GTI range generally, I love the clean lines, understated looks, and uncluttered interior.  It just does everything you want of a car, which makes it a fantastic all-rounder.  It's comfy, roomy, effortless to drive slow or fast, and brings a smile to my face every time I look at it and drive it.  My heart made the decision before with the Mk5, and my heart made it again with the Mk7 :)

nicely summed up :)

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2013, 16:14 »
I looked at a Z4, A5 and the 135i but I didnt even bother driving the M135i as I wasnt sold on the looks. The GTI ticks all the boxes for me, granted its not so good for pub talk as the M135i.

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2013, 16:30 »
nicely summed up :)

Thanks!  Like most things it comes down to personal preference and what you want out of a car.  Some people want raw performance, or bragging rights on "whatever", but some of us just want a ride that's both refined and entertaining.  Not saying other cars don't necessarily offer that combination, just they don't offer it in such a tidy looking package!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2013, 16:48 »
And a nice residual value :smiley:

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2013, 17:37 »
And a nice residual value :smiley:

This was key for me too. Drove the 135i and the ST. I thought the Focus felt cheap and slow, the Bmw on the other hand was an animal but had poor residuals. Golf is the perfect balance
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2013, 17:39 »
I couldn't agree more with all your comments, which was why I went with the Golf in the end. I did however have a test drive in the M135i and I kid you not it was flippin quick & quite a pleasant environment to sit in... Just couldn't get over its looks but was sold on its performance.

(Off topic slightly, I still think VW missed a trick with its optional Performance Pack. Its great they're offering a LSD, but the 10bhp hike in power is negligible. They should have charged more & hiked the power by say an additonal 30bhp to compete with the likes of the new Focus ST at least).
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)