Author Topic: Alternatives to the New Golf GTi/GTD  (Read 11045 times)

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
Re: Alternatives to the New Golf GTi/GTD
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2013, 17:41 »
I couldn't agree more with all your comments, which was why I went with the Golf in the end. I did however have a test drive in the M135i and I kid you not it was flippin quick & quite a pleasant environment to sit in... Just couldn't get over its looks but was sold on its performance.

(Off topic slightly, I still think VW missed a trick with its optional Performance Pack. Its great they're offering a LSD, but the 10bhp hike in power is negligible. They should have charged more & hiked the power by say an additonal 30bhp to compete with the likes of the new Focus ST at least).

I reckon the power will be 250ish when dyno'd for the perf pack and over 300 torque..
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline Squit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 09 April 2013, 17:46 »

In the end it was a very difficult decision and went with the safe option (but could have ended up with either). Part of me wished I had ordered the M135i but I know that I will be just as pleased with the GTi.

Has anyone else been torn with making such a difficult decision?  What swung it for you?

I'm trying to make that decision at the moment, coming from a 123d.

I think the M135i is more of a golf R rival and is good value, but shame it has such a small fuel tank and crap range.

The 125i is more equivalent to the golf GTI, at least as far as price and power. Less standard kit though.

The 125d is a golf gtd rival. It's quite a bit more powerful, but more expensive.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2013, 18:05 »
The trouble with the GTi is that by the time you've added say a DSG box, pure white paint (which incidentally is free on the Bimmer), Performance Pack & Adaptive Chassis the price comes very close to the M135i's £32k asking price (5 door Auto). There really ain't much in it in terms of price...
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2013, 18:12 »
I couldn't agree more with all your comments, which was why I went with the Golf in the end. I did however have a test drive in the M135i and I kid you not it was flippin quick & quite a pleasant environment to sit in... Just couldn't get over its looks but was sold on its performance.

(Off topic slightly, I still think VW missed a trick with its optional Performance Pack. Its great they're offering a LSD, but the 10bhp hike in power is negligible. They should have charged more & hiked the power by say an additonal 30bhp to compete with the likes of the new Focus ST at least).

You say that but the 0-62mph time on the performance gti is a tenth quicker at 6.4 secs

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2013, 18:58 »
The trouble with the GTi is that by the time you've added say a DSG box, pure white paint (which incidentally is free on the Bimmer), Performance Pack & Adaptive Chassis the price comes very close to the M135i's £32k asking price (5 door Auto). There really ain't much in it in terms of price...

This is true but what happens to the BMW when you put a couple of options on it?? Like sport auto gearbox and the little things like ambient lighting, auto wipers and dipping rear view mirror?
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 09 April 2013, 19:27 »
However, as soon as you walk into a bmw dealer these days they give you 6% discount without even trying. So if you want a basic 135i 3dr this turns into a great price for the spec/performance
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 April 2013, 19:32 »
I don't like the m135 but the m125 coupe looks nice but I would still buy the gti and I certainly wouldn't put a Renault in the mix even if it had 1000 bhp :grin:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline Squit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 09 April 2013, 19:34 »

This is true but what happens to the BMW when you put a couple of options on it?? Like sport auto gearbox and the little things like ambient lighting, auto wipers and dipping rear view mirror?

Apart from auto gearbox, all those come as standard. As does leather, which is very expensive on the golf.

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 09 April 2013, 19:46 »
Yep! The asking price of a 5 door M135i in White with Sport Auto box comes to £32,500 which is pretty good value (leather standard). Adaptive Chassis is an extra £515 (£795 in the Golf). But in all honesty I would be happy with just the standard spec 5 door without any of the expensive BMW extras... This was the dilemma I was facing. The Bimmer was exceptional value for money!
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 09 April 2013, 19:48 »
If I could get a Giulietta with the interior quality of a Golf/A3 and the residuals to match then i'd probably buy one of those. It is the best looking hatch out there (i'm talking general shape, not accounting for sporty variants) at the moment IMO, but it'll be worth nowt after 3 years and feels quite cheap inside.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.