Author Topic: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.  (Read 4278 times)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« on: 04 June 2012, 09:09 »
I remember reading somewhere on here that the boot lifers can be used as bonnet lifters.
How do I fit them on the bonnet and wing? I'm guessing I use one of the wing mount bolt holes but where on the bonnet does it attach?

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2012, 09:16 »
Actually iv figured out I put the lifter in the bonnet bracket hole but where on the wing do I put the other end?

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2012, 09:38 »
You should have a rubber stop on each wing which you remove and bolt the pin into this hole and then push the boot lifter onto pin and job done. There is a guide in the Mark 3 Maintenance section if you need it.

Offline GTIANNIVERSARY16V

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 149
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2012, 09:47 »
Got similar things fitted on my bonnet.... But over time the weight causes them to become loose.

Offline kempie

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 280
  • where would we be without duct tape?
« Last Edit: 04 June 2012, 09:52 by kempie »

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2012, 10:55 »
Cheers guys yeah I found the how to guide. Just need to find a nut that fits the bits that are going to the wings.

Offline Screech16v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,432
  • MK3 20vt AGU
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2012, 11:48 »
Just an 8mm thread aint it prob 13mm head,use a decent sized washer to spread the weight  :wink:

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2012, 12:03 »
Just an 8mm thread aint it prob 13mm head,use a decent sized washer to spread the weight  :wink:

yeah that was my plan mate.

Offline 16valver dan

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 312
  • 1.8 20v turbo MK4 Golf
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2012, 12:58 »
rob the 2 bolts holding the white golfs windscreen wipers on perfect fit done it myself last week
il update the sig when i get a good photoshoot ;)

Offline stainesy

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,442
  • im not a master debater but i'm a cunning linguist
Re: Boot lifters as bonnet lifters.
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2012, 13:55 »
You mean the 2 nuts?