Author Topic: Spring compressors  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 22:48 »
Onthe mk3 tweed is correct, I have come across some pretty impressive ones, the larger Audi stuff and mondeo ones are usually pretty special when they go, the ones on m old Saab where very compressed about 50mm from memory......

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 22:50 »
The spring is compressed for a reason and the force from the compression would make the top nut fly off (maybe not far but with more than enough force to hurt). Spring compressors are a must for anyone that values there face. Totally nuts to advise anyone who is not totally in the know (seeing as the op was asking then he obviously needs help with the job) as this could lead to unknown injuries. I went to college years ago to study car mechanics and the first thing I was told was to never ever undo the top nut without spring compressors and I would not advise anyone to do so. If it was that easy then spring compressors would never have been invented. At 15/20 quid is it worth the hassle/risk ??

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2012, 22:56 »
Oh yeah ok the nut flew off and gave me a 4" scar on my face.

I've had a mk3 16v. I have a mk3 8v and have a mk3 vr6. Lowered all 3 and not once used a spring compressor. Never had any flying nuts on all 12 shocks. For starters the nut is inside a socket!

Just lowered my BMW 528 and yet again no flying nuts.

Did my mates front shocks on his saxo and you guessed it, no flying nuts or springs.

 

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2012, 22:59 »
I am so happy for you.....I also have lowered many Mark 3's and never been injured and the most advisable and safe way is to use Spring compressors. I am not disputing you know how to do the job without them but is it really the best way to advise a novice to do the job without compressors ?? 

Offline murraymint

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,022
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 23:06 »
I didn't use spring compressors on my standard mk3 shocks and was fine, In fact it was a bit of an anti-climax as was expecting some spring action  :laugh:
josh


95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL,  97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2012, 23:09 »
I am so happy for you.....I also have lowered many Mark 3's and never been injured and the most advisable and safe way is to use Spring compressors. I am not disputing you know how to do the job without them but is it really the best way to advise a novice to do the job without compressors ?? 


Yes, because I have first hand experience in taking them off with out them, and know for fact there is very little compression to do any harm to yourself or anybody close by.

If I don't  know I don't advise people.


You don't see me replying on every thread do you. If I don't know I don't reply. I just read and learn.

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline tweed

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,377
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2012, 23:12 »
I didn't use spring compressors on my standard mk3 shocks and was fine, In fact it was a bit of an anti-climax as was expecting some spring action  :laugh:

So you think it was enough for the spring to bounce off, hit you in the face and kill you?  :grin:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2012, 23:28 »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Loving the banter!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Willo

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2012, 23:30 »
I don't know bout golf but I used compressors on my old mondeo they were compressed loads

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Spring compressors
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2012, 23:33 »
Just as an aside when I changed the struts on my Pug the top nut would not budge so I took it to work and cut the strut with a skill saw! The spring did fly out! Not to far though as it was laid on the ground.
Very bad way of doing things but I achieved what I wanted.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk