This old chestnut again? Seriously? This will be a whole thread of "I don't like it, its w*nk, shiny cars ftw, you can't fake patina" etc etc etc.
I have seen some incredibly imaginative Rat cars in the past (Ratta's Two-Face Scirocco for one), and one of my close friends drives a Mk2 Polo that you would term as Rat look that she has a) put her heart and soul into, and b) it perfectly matches her personality. The whole "lets just sticker bomb a panel, rust another, kick a few dents into it and wrap some hazard tape on it is NOT what I am on about here.
Its all relative in as much as "its your car, you should do what you want with it".
A couple of friends cars that I appreciate...
James's Mk2 Polo:

(Thats me in the background looking all serious, this picture was from my local club's stand at Dubmania (Automotive Connection) last year).
Other side:

Amy's MK2 Polo (Again on an Automotive Connection Club Stand, this time the 2011 Trentham Car Show in Stoke on Trent):

