Author Topic: Would I notice a difference?  (Read 10986 times)

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2012, 22:40 »
I find 16v is more economical when granny driving but 8v is more economical when flooring it. 16v is noticeably quicker than an 8v and it will leave an 8v in the dust.

Offline Len

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,292
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2012, 23:38 »
The 16v begs to be driven hard so go mad now and again and enjoy! :smug:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Dmonday

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,378
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2012, 02:07 »
Any one who says an 8v is better is an idiot and deserves to be shot :) 16v for sure.

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2012, 05:49 »
Any one who says an 8v is better is an idiot and deserves to be shot :) 16v for sure.
The 8v is better... :wink:

Offline Deano2711

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,874
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2012, 06:50 »
From what I can gather the 16v is no better on the off than an 8v but obviously when they get going the 16v would then leave the 8v behind. If you want speed then the 16v is the one but if you want something with a bit more poke but decent fuel economy and cheaper insurance then the 8v wins. They are identical for looks and comfort and features so it all depends what you want from the car but my personal choice is the 8v. I have owned 16v and VR's and find the 8v suitable for what I need  :wink:

Offline DaveHDi

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 56
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2012, 07:53 »
Thanks r the advice deano. Thought I'd made my mind up but now I'm not do sure. Lol

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2012, 08:11 »
16v.

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #17 on: 26 April 2012, 09:40 »
I think the choice should be made on how u drive,i have owned 16v and 8v (own 8v at the mo) and from my experience you have to rev the 16v more to get the best out of it whereas the 8vs torque band comes into play earlier than the 16v.Obviously the higher you get in the rev range then the 16v comes into its own but it also is going to weigh slightly more not a lot but a little,i think the best thing you can do is try a test drive in both and see how you feel.Also take into account running costs maintanence costs and even engine repair bills and ease of reparing the engine if anything went wrong.

Offline DaveHDi

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 56
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #18 on: 26 April 2012, 09:54 »
Ok that's gd thinking. Thanks for the advice

Offline VR6_Wherry

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,938
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2012, 10:27 »
I had an 8v, it sucked.