Author Topic: Would I notice a difference?  (Read 10993 times)

Offline javalin

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,457
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2012, 10:28 »
I do like the torque on my 8v, but then i've not driven a 16v GTI for comparison.
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Gavv8

  • Guest
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2012, 12:03 »
I had an 8v, it sucked.
Yeah but you've got pink headlights.

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2012, 12:29 »
From what I can gather the 16v is no better on the off than an 8v but obviously when they get going the 16v would then leave the 8v behind. If you want speed then the 16v is the one but if you want something with a bit more poke but decent fuel economy and cheaper insurance then the 8v wins. They are identical for looks and comfort and features so it all depends what you want from the car but my personal choice is the 8v. I have owned 16v and VR's and find the 8v suitable for what I need  :wink:

16v is better on or off "cam" than the 8v. There's no debate.

Offline trog_nfs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 975
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2012, 12:39 »
8v is disappointing. It's like driving a diesel most the time. You get a swell of torque and think "this'll be good" and then it craps itself.

 

Offline kodkod.84

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2012, 12:49 »
I find my 16v quite slow at accelerating from a standstill, but I am used to the 2.0tfsi on my previous Audi
 
At motorway cruising it is really good though- feels like plenty of power for overtakes at 70-80mph and I get average 38 mpg.

It's definitely a lot better engine than the 1.4 I had in my first mk3 when I was 18 :)

Offline Dogbot

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 431
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2012, 13:02 »
All the answers are in this thread, all that remains to be said is that 8v's suck big time.... With a 16v you can play the game I do.... Look for the tell tale it's an 8v an then remind them why they bought the wrong engined mk3... By leaving them behind....
The 16v should have been the min platform for the GTI mk3 just like it is on the mk4...

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2012, 13:08 »
Unfortunately you will allways get those that say "this car is better than that car" or "my car is better than your car" yadder yadder but at the end of the day its down to personnel preference and cost.

Offline VR6_Wherry

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,938
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2012, 13:20 »
I had an 8v, it sucked.
Yeah but you've got pink headlights.

On my VR6

Dont forget the pink dice  :kiss:

Offline Gash

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,259
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2012, 13:51 »
8v got more touque lower down is a myth!
16v will out pull an 8v from the beginning

with an 16v weighing more as someone said dont get how!?
same brakes, same everything else, only thing difference is the head right?

the abf`s are bomb proof, worth getting one just for the knowledge if you f**k it up, it will probably still keep driving!

insurance wise doa qoute, there was a £30 difference between the 8v and 16v for me.

if i had a choise between 8v or death, leathal injection please.

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #29 on: 26 April 2012, 14:01 »
If you have ever lifted a 16v and an 8v head you would know the difference,not much on a car admitedly.