Author Topic: Would I notice a difference?  (Read 10981 times)

Offline DaveHDi

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 56
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #30 on: 26 April 2012, 14:08 »
Thanks for. Overwhelming response guys. Think it's going to have to be a 16v for me as I don't want to get an 8v then be in the same boat I'm in now wishing I'd gone for the 16v

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #31 on: 26 April 2012, 14:10 »
Good point,enjoy :wink:

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #32 on: 26 April 2012, 14:10 »
8v got more touque lower down is a myth!
16v will out pull an 8v from the beginning

with an 16v weighing more as someone said dont get how!?
same brakes, same everything else, only thing difference is the head right?

the abf`s are bomb proof, worth getting one just for the knowledge if you f**k it up, it will probably still keep driving!

insurance wise doa qoute, there was a £30 difference between the 8v and 16v for me.

if i had a choise between 8v or death, leathal injection please.

i concur, still both slow imo. just the 16v pips it for me.

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #33 on: 26 April 2012, 14:13 »
I find my 16v quite slow at accelerating from a standstill, but I am used to the 2.0tfsi on my previous Audi
 
At motorway cruising it is really good though- feels like plenty of power for overtakes at 70-80mph and I get average 38 mpg.

It's definitely a lot better engine than the 1.4 I had in my first mk3 when I was 18 :)


Glad its not just me that thinks it pulls away from standstill conservatively. Nice and drivable on the A roads though.

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #34 on: 26 April 2012, 14:29 »
not read all this thread

but having owned all 3 in the past

VR. 8v. 16v

i can confirm theirs hardly owt in it but if a decent 16v comes up go for that.. but if it comes down to a mint 8v or tatty 16v, then choose the 8v

my old 8v lump was very healthy and would match any standard 16v i came across at the lights

my 16v (had 2) were very slightly better in the top end of the rev range and also on top end MPH but not by much

  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline liva2704

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 124
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #35 on: 26 April 2012, 14:38 »
Im glad im not the only one that thinks that :smiley:

Offline thai-wronghorse

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,325
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #36 on: 26 April 2012, 14:45 »
20vT is what should have been fitted as standard.

Offline F17BAD

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,225
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #37 on: 26 April 2012, 14:48 »
20vT is what should have been fitted as standard.

deffo

really suits it, all you need  in a mk3 tbh is 200bhp and torque to match and you have a real weapon
  


Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Dan_GTi8v

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,904
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #38 on: 26 April 2012, 15:22 »
A lot of the responses in here seem to be get the 16v because its faster. It depends how you drive, when the 8v was still in mine I was happy with its performance, more than capable in most day to day driving situations. I guess it depends if you want to drive like a dick or not :P

If you have 2 identical cars one an 8v and one a 16v then go for the 16v obviously but as Brad said if its a good 8v or a sh!tty 16v then go for the 8v, the difference isn't that great
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Ess_Three

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,123
Re: Would I notice a difference?
« Reply #39 on: 26 April 2012, 15:47 »
with an 16v weighing more as someone said dont get how!?
same brakes, same everything else, only thing difference is the head right?


Head weighs approx twice as much.

Gearbox is heavier too - 02A vs 02O, and the ABF flywheel/clutch is a fair bit heavier.
16v had extra 'toys' too...so probably all in about 50Kgs more weight on a 16v.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.