Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71468 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #930 on: 13 August 2013, 14:42 »
anyone see the world cup on sun eve? stevie smiths run was a bit special!

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #931 on: 13 August 2013, 15:34 »
Now realise why my back end was so loose...  :shocked: :lipsrsealed:

All replaced and sorted now however after A LOT of huffing and puffing  :evil:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #932 on: 13 August 2013, 15:49 »
love a freshly bearing'd frame. Shame they don't last long!

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #933 on: 13 August 2013, 16:16 »
by the looks of things these had been in since birth... back in 2003  :laugh: :shocked:

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #934 on: 24 December 2013, 10:38 »
What better way to kick off the mtb thread again than with a bit of Brendog action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51oobrY32dw

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #935 on: 09 January 2014, 20:01 »
right then MTBs

been looking for a new bike, was originally advised to get a Hybrid, then not, etc etc blah blah

now been advised to get a 29" wheeled MTB, as  i wont be doing more than 10 miles at a time so a hybrid will be a waste of time

so spec required, 29" wheels, mechanical disc brakes, front suspension. able to take a fat cnut, very LITTLE off road, the river footpath and some very tame off road, nowt more

VIews on this please

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/timberline-10-2013-mountain-bike-ec042819

:smiley:

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #936 on: 09 January 2014, 21:35 »
No point in a mountain bike at all if you aren't planning on getting even a little muddy. My single speed on road racer wheels does a little off road (tow paths and cinder track) now and then and that's fine unless super wet.

29er wheels are a good recommendation for the type of riding you have described BUT that's just adapting a mountain bike to be more like a hybrid really. Something like this hybrid Norco may be more apt for you...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/vfr-3-2013-hybrid-bike-ec041287

Or, you could always go even further and step into cyclecross/touring territory. Nice, fast and more importantly...easy. The riding position may be a little odd at first but you get used to it very quickly and get more confident than you perhaps would be whilst sat bolt upright as you are with a hybrid and mountain bike.

This Roux may be a little out of your price range but looks to be a well spec. entry level cyclocross http://www.evanscycles.com/products/roux/conquest-2300-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec051745

Have a read at the description of the 'cyclecross' genre at the top of that page, I feel it fits exactly what you are looking for.

*EDIT* Re-read what you wrote. Who advised you NOT to get a hybrid? That was silly advice. If you go with the GT for tow paths and tiny bits of off-road, all it is going to do is cover you in sh!t unless you have really good, well fitting mudguards but even then you will get splashed. A cyclocross or hybrid with a narrower tyre will all but eliminate this with small splash guards on in winter Read: You will ride it more as it will be much less miserable Typically a cyclo should be 700c wheel size (like a road bike) and a hybrid may be 700, 29 or 26.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2014, 21:44 by Sam »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #937 on: 09 January 2014, 21:47 »
all that was discussed sam, key points.

1, I am up the top end of " weight limits ", so the MTB route was suggest for the bike that would take the most.

2, easier to stick road tyres on a MTB and then go back to MTB tyres if i get the urge to go off road, hybrid purchase wouldnt allow .

3, mud n crap, not an issue. but valid point

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #938 on: 09 January 2014, 21:54 »
all that was discussed sam, key points.

1, I am up the top end of " weight limits ", so the MTB route was suggest for the bike that would take the most.

2, easier to stick road tyres on a MTB and then go back to MTB tyres if i get the urge to go off road, hybrid purchase wouldnt allow .

3, mud n crap, not an issue. but valid point

People blast around cannock chase in the wet on cyclocross bikes setting rapid times, I wouldn't worry about the off-road capabilities of a hybrid/cyclo on a thin set of nobblies.

Just make sure you buy the bike that does the job right 99% of the time and if at some point you get the urge to become a cross-country or downhill rider... buy a bike for that (that's how cycling works, a bike for every eventuality)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #939 on: 09 January 2014, 21:56 »
oh and £300 is a lot for me to consider spanking on a bike.  :shocked:

£450 is car money for me normally  :lipsrsealed:

We arent all rich students :whistle: I am a poor pensioner remember  :tongue: