Author Topic: Official MTB thread  (Read 71563 times)

Offline murraymint

• I live here
Re: Official MTB thread
« Reply #400 on: 23 February 2012, 23:20 »
I am literally worried about getting lost and bot being able to get back to the car  :grin:

That's the fun of it  :smiley:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #401 on: 24 February 2012, 00:03 »
Look at the slating my bike has been given!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151341446785195&set=a.10150434951975195.639509.844365194&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

For a commuter bike its pretty poor. Cause its too heavy and for a mountain bike...well it doesnt even fall into the category of a mountain bike.

If you are doing any kind of mountain biking you need hydrulic breaks,I can tell by looking at the front sus its pretty poor because you can see clearly where you have pressed down and the chep grease has left its mark. It looks like a small bunch of gears on the block which will limit your range. But the tyres and the seat look nice. sorry to burst your bubble but I got caught with a sh!t "mountain bike" last year. So I am hoping you are doing a little bit of touring at the peak district.

Offline Fletcha

• Not said much yet
« Reply #402 on: 24 February 2012, 08:17 »
need to get some lights for my bike has anyone got any recommendations? will be for off road mostly at trail centers and up on the hills?

Offline Dan n Nic

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #403 on: 24 February 2012, 08:36 »
need to get some lights for my bike has anyone got any recommendations? will be for off road mostly at trail centers and up on the hills?
http://www.exposurelights.com

These are awesome lights. Ive got the joystick helmet mounted and the six pack on my handle bars!

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #404 on: 24 February 2012, 08:54 »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151341446785195&set=a.10150434951975195.639509.844365194&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

For a commuter bike its pretty poor. Cause its too heavy and for a mountain bike...well it doesnt even fall into the category of a mountain bike.

If you are doing any kind of mountain biking you need hydrulic breaks,I can tell by looking at the front sus its pretty poor because you can see clearly where you have pressed down and the chep grease has left its mark. It looks like a small bunch of gears on the block which will limit your range. But the tyres and the seat look nice. sorry to burst your bubble but I got caught with a sh!t "mountain bike" last year. So I am hoping you are doing a little bit of touring at the peak district.

this is part bike snobbery and part true, any bike can be used for a commute, the only difference weight makes is how easy it is for you to commute, a flat bar hybrid is generally considered the best commuter bike, although this varies on your route, for example if you're in the sticks then skinny wheels wouldn't be an option.

As for the forks, unless you're paying £1000+ stock forks are generally always sh1t, they will do the job but don't expect them to be as plush or reliable as a £500 set of fox or rockshox's.

re the brakes, you can live with v brakes, the main advantage of disc brakes is your braking surface isn't a dirty rim and the mechanical advantage, you'll be fine on v brakes just don't expect them to stop instantly.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #405 on: 24 February 2012, 17:39 »
Done 15 miles of trails this afternoon :cool: Had my first 'off' well two offs :lipsrsealed: Loads of cuts and bruises :grin:
Over 60 miles this week on the mega :cool:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #406 on: 24 February 2012, 18:35 »

this is part bike snobbery and part true, any bike can be used for a commute, the only difference weight makes is how easy it is for you to commute, a flat bar hybrid is generally considered the best commuter bike, although this varies on your route, for example if you're in the sticks then skinny wheels wouldn't be an option.

As for the forks, unless you're paying £1000+ stock forks are generally always sh1t, they will do the job but don't expect them to be as plush or reliable as a £500 set of fox or rockshox's.

re the brakes, you can live with v brakes, the main advantage of disc brakes is your braking surface isn't a dirty rim and the mechanical advantage, you'll be fine on v brakes just don't expect them to stop instantly.

mate I saw someone in swinley forest at the weekend on a road bike with knobbly tyres  :grin:

just get out and ride, you will decide yourself what you need better. (just don't have a test ride on an expensive bike if you want this to be a cheap hobby! )

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #407 on: 24 February 2012, 21:09 »
The good- Just serviced my lyriks, now feeling super plush, cost £20 for enough oil to do them several times again.  :cool:

The bad- Harvester machines are looming on the edge of a forest plot full of some of our best hand made super tech single track, after I spent a couple of evenings cutting out windblown trees. So got to get some runs in this weekend before it goes.  :cry: :sick:

The ugly- Sundays weather forecast!

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #408 on: 26 February 2012, 17:47 »
Oh my goooooooooooooooooooood!  I can't express how knackered I am!

Took this route:  http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/WMB-89-Peak-District-Red-Intermediate-Ride

However when we got to the mile 5 marker we took the road all the way back to the start.  I was absolutely cream crackered due to unfitness.  My mate was having bike problems, his handlebars came loose and his chain kept slipping off.

Observations.  The bike was heavy enough that sometimes if just wouldn't change direction as fast as I expected it too.  On multiple occasions I completely lost the use of brakes due the amount of water and mud on the downhills.  The suspension faired better than I expected.  Ahh those brakes though, they're absolutely diabolical!  Think I've buckled the back wheel as well  :undecided:

View from the top before we went down

Mate Alex

Proof I was there!

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #409 on: 26 February 2012, 17:49 »
That looks pritty epic! My bike stayed in the shed this weekend, worked on the golf insted
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi