Author Topic: Edition 35 is here!  (Read 51304 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Edition 35 is here!
« Reply #50 on: 04 September 2011, 19:38 »
In my part of the world there aren't that many ANNUAL salaries that are over £30k. It's an awful lot of money for your average comsumer.
Same here and i agree.
The MK5 GTI was £20k for a 3 door when it was launched 6 years ago and about £600 more for a 5 door. Outside of the oil industry wages haven't gone up that much in the last 6 years.
My metallic 5 door after discount was £18540 iirc back in 2005. My wage has not changed in 5 years (no annual cost of living rise or anything)
« Last Edit: 04 September 2011, 21:54 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 04 September 2011, 20:03 »
Even in the Oil Industry with it's supposed "film star" wages, we have had cost of living rises only. 3% ish PA.
Hardly the huge payrises some seem to think.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #52 on: 04 September 2011, 21:06 »
Even in the Oil Industry with it's supposed "film star" wages, we have had cost of living rises only. 3% ish PA.
Hardly the huge payrises some seem to think.

The real bonus comes when you work away for so long (on site)... the cost of living has gone up masssively!!

my car was £21500 list when i got it (not that it mattered)... these days eveyone seems to be paying around the 30k mark!!  :huh:

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 04 September 2011, 21:13 »

The real bonus comes when you work away for so long (on site)... the cost of living has gone up masssively!!

Ahh..perks of the job.
No travelling or food costs for 14 days. eBay is a killer though...easily more than petrol getting to work! :-)

my car was £21500 list when i got it (not that it mattered)... these days eveyone seems to be paying around the 30k mark!!  :huh:

Mine was just under £30k 18 months ago!
I think it's £32k+ now.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 04 September 2011, 21:16 »

Ahh..perks of the job.
No travelling or food costs for 14 days. eBay is a killer though...easily more than petrol getting to work! :-)

Mine was just under £30k 18 months ago!
I think it's £32k+ now.

... ahhhh the lovely benefits of quantative easing + inflation  :grin:

Offline craigt

• Just got here
« Reply #55 on: 04 September 2011, 21:34 »
Off topic and past giving a damn, but me being thick makes me stuggle to fathom the intricacies(sp) of the financial markets and thus the value of the Pound Sterling; here we have it that most European countries are in financial meltdown and the EURO is about to sink without trace if you believe the news, the US $ is supposedly also in all sorts of trouble, the USA has lost its AAA credit rating and Obama is starting to get a bit concerned about the state of the US economy (understatement) and yet here in rip off Britain we're told that we're out of recession and things are improving. Now in laymans terms to me that reads that the Pound £ should be fairly strong against the other currencies - but whilst the Pound £ has strenghthened a little recently it's still doing pretty dire things especially against the Euro. WTF is going on?

Those intricacies confuse you and me both then - from watching too many news articles, my take on the situ is in 2008 when sh!t hit the fan the £ devalued by circa 25% against the other major Western currencies - happened because the UK was hurt more at first due to finanical market exposure, service sector dependant blah blah.

It's a wee luxury the UK has, as the devaluation kept us competitive as an economy and hence not completely screwed today - I'm not anti-€ but places like Ireland, Greece, Portugaul etc. cannot do this as they are locked into the €; so their economies couldn't stay competitive with interest rates and borrowing rising, at the same time as bank bailouts and other fubars. Their smaller economies have had to be bailed out.

That 'locked in to €' problem is because Germany and the other big euro economies are kind of keeping the value of the € on an even keel as they are coping reasonably well (I'm generalising but eg they didn't do stupid housing projects, had strong economies in the 1st place and had better banking habits) and can't afford to hamstring themselves by devaluing for the sake of smaller countries' economies.

A whole different story, leading to why the € has big problems is... this bailing out strategy can work for a few countries whilst keeping the big countries happy but when enormous bailouts might become needed for places like Spain and Italy, well - who the hell knows what happens then as the Euro zone can't keep digging for much longer.

My two pence, it's not going to get seriously 'worse' but it's not going to improve for many years either.

tl;dr - we're f**ked, US is f**ked, Europe is f**ked - but in slightly different ways, so the experience for punters is sometimes different depending on where you live.

First post btw, been lurking here for a while since getting my GTI in Feb, so Hello  :smiley:

Offline scotsgolfer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #56 on: 04 September 2011, 22:56 »
For me - there's too many people punting the whole "it's only a golf thing".....Granted ok - if you're driving a 1.whatever basic trim then it is only a golf.  The GtI is something different however - you pay a premium for the priviledge and i wouldn't change it for the World.....or an Audi.....or a Beemer!!! Ok if you go properly high end (Ferrari etc) the GTI is only a Golf. I'd still have fancied my chances over the back road to Glenshee though :) have a good one folks - just enjoy it.
5dr / Mk6 / GTI / DSG / Deep Black / ACC / Leather / RCD 510 / Bluetooth / Luxury / Cruise / F&R Sensors with Park Assist

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 05 September 2011, 07:21 »
When do you think we will see the first ed35 on the UK roads?

APR Stage 2+

Offline HA54SYM`

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 05 September 2011, 08:00 »
According to VW press release October will see first cars in UK.

I wonder if all dealers will get 1x showroom car?

Dave
94 - Roversport Tomcat Racecar

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 05 September 2011, 09:43 »
Really liking the ed35! Would love to see one in the flesh. Preferable black with the black 19's.

APR Stage 2+