Jus to clear this up I was quickly called a cu*t for suggesting em. I get dazzled by every new car in the mk2, can't see nout on back roads when on dipped with traffic passing, need to get the mains on asap! If u can't beat em join em I say.unless every1 does away with their hid's its silly to be different and suffer and moan, hids are clearly better- that's y they're commonly used I guess..like I say I know of a few mk2s that have aftermarket hids, they never get flashed 4 dazzling people, never fail mots, never get stopped by the fuzz, and don't really have any probs at all! Win win if u ask me!! Its an opinion based question- no right or wrong answer. Let's have it rite u cud put a quad headlamp grille on and have pukka lites!! No offence intended I appreciate varied answers wen I ask a q..
honestly making an uprated loom (which plugs into the existing loom and saves your chopping the original up) isnt very difficult. Shouldnt cost you any more than £25 to make a dipped/main loom:
2x relays,
2x fuse holders,
wire,
spade connectors,
ring connectors,
2x H4 lamp plugs,
solder,
heat shrink,
electrical tape
With a bit of patience and common sense you'd finish it within 4-6 hours at a gentle pace. i did mine over 3 evenings watching TV, and i didnt have a clue

but it helps to draw a diagram based on the matey-matey guide:
http://www.matey-matey.com/uprated_headlight_wiring.shtmlyour headlamps will get 12v and not 9v; it will make the world of difference, mine were shocking... like driving with candles!
plus you get a sense of achievement from doing it.
failing that buy a pre-made one off ebay for £40-£50. but you'd be a failure.