Author Topic: What do you hate most about your mark 2?  (Read 18060 times)

Offline Gloves88

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 609
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2010, 16:46 »
Rusted nuts  :angry:

That and the random leaks that always seem to develop...always somewhere different!

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2010, 16:48 »
Rust.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2010, 17:01 »
Rusted nuts  :angry:

You don't grease them up and play with them enough.... :evil:

gas plus then leave, play for ten minutes for a few days was enough for me to get the grinder out  :angry:  :grin:

Ive noticed all the nuts that dont need touching arnt rusted but all the ones you need to get off are !!  :huh:

Offline spacerat

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 218
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #23 on: 21 September 2010, 18:07 »
the £450 bill to get it through mot ive just had.  AND ive still got o tax it tonight another £100+     

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #24 on: 21 September 2010, 19:30 »
failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking

Any proven methods to test? I had it up on the ramps last weekend with a giant lever in and around most suspension components checking for slack/play - but couldn't see anything moving.

TBH our MOT tester failed it for excessive play on the MOT, as the inner rubber bushes had fallen apart in 3 pieces resulting in a lot of play. the rear axle was floating a fair but so the car would track dangerously and i was constantly correcting it with the steering wheel. It was as if it had rear wheel steering  :laugh:

I'd stopped driving it for 10 days prior to the MOT test as i felt it was dangerous.

I assume he used his big bar and prised the beam to check for play


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline spacerat

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 218
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #25 on: 21 September 2010, 19:55 »
failed rear axle bushes will cause vague and 'wadery' steering and/or knocking

Any proven methods to test? I had it up on the ramps last weekend with a giant lever in and around most suspension components checking for slack/play - but couldn't see anything moving.

TBH our MOT tester failed it for excessive play on the MOT, as the inner rubber bushes had fallen apart in 3 pieces resulting in a lot of play. the rear axle was floating a fair but so the car would track dangerously and i was constantly correcting it with the steering wheel. It was as if it had rear wheel steering  :laugh:

I'd stopped driving it for 10 days prior to the MOT test as i felt it was dangerous.

I assume he used his big bar and prised the beam to check for play

one of the many things that caused my big bill

Offline daniel-1986

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 394
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #26 on: 21 September 2010, 19:56 »
Rust

and its a 1.3 that wont do any better than 33mpg  :angry:

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #28 on: 21 September 2010, 20:24 »
I don't get to drive the bloody thing enough.

That is all.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: What do you hate most about your mark 2?
« Reply #29 on: 21 September 2010, 20:45 »
I have a 3 door Mk2 - 1985 B reg - completely rust free sitting in my garage.  Sitting in my garage for the  last 10 years.  It'll keep sitting there while I have the valver, as I can't decide what to do with it.

May be worth a few bob in a few years.  :grin: