Author Topic: Dom069 - My 8v Story So Far - Deposit Taken :(  (Read 183554 times)

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Dom069 - My Mk3 Story So Far!
« Reply #50 on: 12 April 2010, 21:33 »
don't give a toss if everyone thinks I'm a dickhead, it's my car so I can do what I want with it.

Thats what i'm thinking as well! I know it prob looks a bit stupid but i kinda like it!

Smoked fogs/blanks/indicators and a black rear badge would finish this off nicely, then when funds allow, a lovely set of rims and a healthy drop
Thats pretty much exactly what i've got lined up, but i'm officially skint so gonna be a while before it all gets done. I'm thinking about painting the rims black, kinda cheap alternative to getting a new set, plus I think they'll look good  :cool:

are u going to lower it?
Yeah def gonna lower it, but when I do it i'm gonna do it properly. I'd rather save up for a decent setup than spend a couple of hundred notes on some cheap coilovers and regret it when my spleen is shattered!

Also kells, that mate of yours still selling center caps on ebay? If so you got the link? Mine are funked  :laugh:

Offline DrewGTI

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 12 April 2010, 22:31 »
[img]http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/codling1234/111_0045.jpg[/img

love that picture mate! much better black! fan of the gti badge thats why i popped mine in.  :smiley:

Offline mellow yellow

• I live here
  • A Driffield Dubber!
« Reply #52 on: 21 April 2010, 15:14 »
Looks very good with the black slats and gti badge. Exactly what i wanted to do and no you've convinced me to do it  :smiley:

Same colour as mine as well. Will look very similar when done except for my extra doors.

I agree about the lowering as well, best to get a good set up first time round.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #53 on: 21 April 2010, 16:55 »
Cheers for the comments guys, my new center caps for my wheels have just arrived so i'm gonna go change them in a min  :grin:

I've got a week off work next week so gonna spend some time on the car, mainly getting rid of the rust that is appearing along the bottom of the doors and a little on the sills  :undecided:

Depending on how motivated i'm feeling I might respray the alloys and paint the brake calipers....but we'll see  :laugh:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #54 on: 21 April 2010, 17:33 »
Ok, couple of quick pics to add as well! I drilled my airbox at the weekend here's a shot of it half way through:

Also just got the center caps changd so this is what they looked like before:

....and this is how all of them look now. Much better  :smiley:

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 22 April 2010, 18:21 »
Lovin the grille like that mate!! Definately looks better with the gti badge in!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #56 on: 27 April 2010, 22:26 »
Right, have a week off work this week so decided to tackle some of the rust on the car!

I began today with what looked like the smallest and therefore the easiest bit...oh how I was wrong!

It started off a little bubble on the surface, so I poked around a little bit and it turned into this:

I could see that it went behind the wheel arch trim, so that along with the side skirt trim came off to reveal (excuse the crappy camera phone images):

Next was removing the trim inside the wheel arch, which revealed a massive pile of earth! How there was that much dirt in such a small space I have no idea  :shocked:

Next was to grind all the rust away so it was all bare metal, as you can see there wasn't much metal left!!

Once the rust was removed I used some metal mesh as a base for the body filler that was going to make up the new part of the wing. (Again excuse the blurry pic)

Next stage was to build the filler up using a couple of layers so it was slightly above the level of the existing paint.

Then came the tricky stage of sanding down so it was flush. I started off using 40 grit paper and gradually worked my way up to 1200 grit wet and dry. I was very pleased with the result.

Finally gave the area a quick coat of primer, ready to be tackled again in the morning!

I'm happy with the result so far, bearing in mind a lot of where the rust was is going to be covered back up by trim!

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 27 April 2010, 22:35 »
lol, i thought about doing the grill like that, only the other day, a 2 bar debaged and then but the gti badge back on, lol, looks like i wasnt 1st to think about it, lol, hope u dont mind, but will be doing the same when grill comes, :) looks spot on. keep up the rust removal stages, i wanna do mine but i dont know how to respray it at the end, as im lc9z that metallic black with purpe in it, :(

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #58 on: 27 April 2010, 22:45 »
Well my spraying isn't up to much myself but I think along the lines of nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I'll give it a crack myself and if it looks crap (which it prob will!) i've got a mate who works in a bodyshop who could prob sort me out with a good price to get it done professionally! It's much easier to spray a non-metallic colour, I was helping my dad spray his Honda bumper metallic silver a few weeks ago and it was a sod to get right! I think we ended up spraying it and having to sand it down again about half a dozen times before we got a finish we were both happy with!

Go for it with the grill dude, I think debadged grills are a bit like marmite, especially when leaving the Gti badge on. As you can see from the comments on mine opinions are mixed!

Get some pics up when you've done it!  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #59 on: 27 April 2010, 22:51 »
top work on the rust fight so far!  :smiley: