Author Topic: Horney's 'James Shead' 1988 BTCC Golf GTI replica build.  (Read 178619 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: Horney's MKII 8v - Less valves, less weight. Fact!
« Reply #480 on: 20 January 2010, 11:50 »
Big Update!

When theis car was built back in the day it had the VSAM Pro engine management fitted to it which in a nut shell is an ECU that controls the timing and also controls and extra (Digifant style) injector which is mounted in the metering head. THis allows you to fine tune the K-Jet system for engines in a higher state of tune.

THis is all good stuff except VSAM Pro is very much an antique in the aftermarket ECU world and as it pretty much pre dates the internet information is scant to say the least. However I after much searching I found a chap in Oz who used to libve here and ran it on a KR powered Corrado. THis guy is a legend, he's managed to find a copy of the software for mapping it and is sorting me with a wiring diagram to make up the cable. I just need to pick up a cheap old lappy that has a serial port and Windows 95 or 98 and I'm away!

Nick

awesome news! sounds like your going to have more fun with it now, even off the track!

ps. i can see DH telling me to invest in a AFR gauge and will now shout at me for not already fitting one.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #481 on: 20 January 2010, 11:54 »
The thing is Wide band Lambda's and all that gumph along with welding a port on the exhaust is loads of money, which I don't have, and hassle.

It would be nice but frankly I can't be bothered. I'll try and get it on an RR in the spring and see what's what witht he current map and have a fiddle get it set up well and then leave it be. I'm unlikely to be adding any further mods so it shouldn't need altering. The only thing that may change in the future is an even more hardcore cam.

Nick

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #482 on: 20 January 2010, 12:13 »
Unless you do 2.0 bottom end or forced induction I doubt you will need to change anything anyway ?

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #483 on: 20 January 2010, 12:16 »
Unless you do 2.0 bottom end or forced induction I doubt you will need to change anything anyway ?

Indeed and as it's already a 1.9 I can't see the extra 100cc being worth the hassle.

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #484 on: 29 January 2010, 10:37 »
While browsing CGTI came across a very interesting thread about BTCC MKII Golfs from the 88 and 89 seasons and some pics http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157838 . I'm now very tempted to buy a cuople of tins of blue rustoleum and rock this paint scheme.

Nick
« Last Edit: 29 January 2010, 11:54 by Horney »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #485 on: 29 January 2010, 10:40 »
that would look wicked, do it!

thats quite a good thread on cgti. some of the members on there should setup as private investigators  :grin:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #486 on: 29 January 2010, 10:46 »
Yeah they're well good and digging up info.

I reckon I could do the 4 cross car sections for less than £50. It is very very tempting!

Nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #487 on: 29 January 2010, 10:57 »
thats quite a good thread on cgti. some of the members on there should setup as private investigators

I think some of them already are undercover agents in their own minds.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #488 on: 29 January 2010, 11:10 »
could get the blues done in a vinyl wrap nick,  :undecided: not permanent then

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #489 on: 29 January 2010, 11:40 »
could get the blues done in a vinyl wrap nick,  :undecided: not permanent then

Full wraps are tre expensive and just the stripes in sticky back plastic would cost more than the paint and rollers. I'm not fussed about it being permenant as this old girl is never going to be a fully trimmed road car again anyway.

So all of this has finally formed an on going plan for this car which to be honest was originally just razz it round track days and fix what breaks. As a lover of shows as well as trackdays I've always wanted the car to look good as well as drive well. I can't afford (nor really want) a full blown show car but now I have a plan. A replica 87 season touring car like the one above. I can do it without spending big bucks and then I can have fun with how it drives and how it looks without having to worry about mint paintwork. Also as a rep it'll never go "out of fashion" in the scene and should get a little interest on club stands etc.

The exterior will be the easiest and cheapest bit to do. All the cage and stuff will be expensive but will be beneficial for trackdays so it's win/win. I now feel I have a long term plan for the car far more than I did before and I reckon in a couple of years it should be awesomez.

Nick