Author Topic: | MK3 Anni rims, RXII's | REFURB |  (Read 2934 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
| MK3 Anni rims, RXII's | REFURB |
« on: 05 October 2008, 21:40 »
A nice set of wheels, lots laquer peeling, but no curbing, which is good. starting bringing them back to the metal, but couldnt do all the alloy as they need to be split. So awaiting tools to split them - multi-spline bit set.

So here's some pics of them so far and how they came:

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: | MK3 Anni rims, RXII's | REFURB |
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2008, 21:50 »
ok there split, but not as i wanted them to be done!

yep, broke 18 bolts trying to get them split!!! First i thought was ok, i dont mind buying new bolts, until today when i tried getting the threads out!! HOLY F***ING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im never getting them out!

The wheels had some of the worst laquer peeling i've seen. Its was as if someone had pressure washed them for hours and hours using salt water!! It looks like the corrosion went down into the bolt threads as the threads of the bolts saved had lots of sh!te in. Also when removing the bolts that didnt break, you could hear a loud screaching as the threads scraped against each other.

There is no way we could have saved the ones that broke, we tried to use as much torque and go as slowly as possibly, but they just snapped without warning. ohh and to confirm what i mean by snapped/broken, the bolt head just snapped off!

What is gunna happen next is to weld nuts onto the broken bolts, so that they can be wrench out, as they are so tight in there, that mulgrips/pliers dont work. I have tried hammering on a socket, but no joy and also grinding a slot to use a flat head screwdriver, no joy.

basically, what a c***!

good news is that the refurbing side of things is going well and starting to make progress with that. More good news is that they will look PHAT when done. I think white centres with silver rim. or maybe polished centres with white rim, we'll have to see. mmmm to finish it off, black split rim bolts .......

LL ;)

ps, i used sh!t loads of wd40/gt85

Offline azzrobz

• Here all the time
  • Mk3 GTi 16v Anni
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2008, 21:58 »
Good good, just refubed mine, need to get some pics up tbh although i didnt take any during the process  :undecided:       an luckly i only split 3 bolts but managed to drill the bolt out without ruining the thread on the wheel, you shouldve nitro'd the wheel would taken it back to bear metal then you can start sanding  :wink:   looks good so far btw

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2008, 22:00 »
SO here's some more pics of them split and more sanding/grinding down:

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2008, 22:03 »
Good good, just refubed mine, need to get some pics up tbh although i didnt take any during the process  :undecided:       an luckly i only split 3 bolts but managed to drill the bolt out without ruining the thread on the wheel, you shouldve nitro'd the wheel would taken it back to bear metal then you can start sanding  :wink:   looks good so far btw

nitro....... nahh, angle grinder does the job!!! lol, yeah it means more worki when it come to sanding, but damn its great for bringing it back to the metal and very enjoyable too!

as for getting the bolts out, yeah, i got 18 to remove lol. well its either weld on bolts and wrench them out or drill down and use extractor screws to get them out.

LL ;)

Offline azzrobz

• Here all the time
  • Mk3 GTi 16v Anni
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2008, 22:08 »
I probably would've welded a nut onto the split bolt if i had a welder, less chance of ruining the thread  :smiley:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2008, 22:13 »
I probably would've welded a nut onto the split bolt if i had a welder, less chance of ruining the thread  :smiley:

probs best way, just might take a while! lol

LL ;)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2008, 22:13 »
you going to be f****d to get them sorted if you ruined every single head!!

kells

« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2008, 22:45 »
should have used lots and lots of WD40 and left to soak over night

would be carefull with the angle grinder too, take too much metal off and the wheels might not weigh up correctly

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2008, 22:52 »
The good old shoddy bbs rxII....... why do bbs sometimes make nice wheels and then make the finish crap (I believe mk4 anni rims suffer similar issues?)
I wish i had an angle grinder when i refurb'd mine!! hours with the sander wasn't much fun  :angry:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk