Author Topic: Clay Bars  (Read 4717 times)

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
Clay Bars
« on: 22 September 2008, 18:52 »
I bought this last week as local supply shop only had the complete Smooth surface or QD kits in, (no clay bars on there own!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140267233320.

Thought it is was a decent price so gave it a whirl, got to say it is FAR better than the Megs clay (the one in the QD kit), the amount of crud that it pulled from the paint was unbeleivable!

And I've still got 2 bars left!!

kells

Re: Clay Bars
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2008, 11:57 »
yeah i have one of those in my collection aswell as the megs

as ever, Megs = over rated/over priced like alot of their stuff, i tend to try stay away from the brand tbh

Jkctr

« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2008, 12:01 »
The megs clay bar is actually a very good first time clay bar. I have various clay bars ranging from how well they remove dirt. The ones which work best also marr the paintwork and induce micro swirls and scratches so i only use these when i will be machine polishing! The megs can be used on any paint and produce good results with little to no marring or scratching!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2008, 14:29 »
megs clay is great for the noob

also sonus ultra fine clay is very good once you have got your car clayed with an aggressive clay and then machine polished it

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2008, 22:15 »
Being a n00b, Megs smooth surface clay kit was the first clay kit I bought (from halfrauds).

Really amazing to see all the crap that came off when I used it on my last car. Would definitely recommend it for first time clayers, just to get used to claying.

NewGolf

« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2008, 07:56 »
yeah i have one of those in my collection aswell as the megs

as ever, Megs = over rated/over priced like alot of their stuff, i tend to try stay away from the brand tbh

Have to disagree here, Megs stuff is totally ok :wink:. You can even get it cheaper on eBay if you find it expensive wherever you buy it from.

Their bulk range is mega good value, can be diluted right down.   :smiley:

I have a shed full of it and detail quite a few friends/family members cars.  :smug:

kells

« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2008, 08:28 »
not a fan...too commercial :grin:, on a serious tip, its expensive, is no better than cheeper alternatives and the clay bar left nasty marks on my paint which left me alot of hard work to remove... all other bars iv used never caused me a problem, just the megs so in my book its no good!

each to their own i guess :smiley:

my i also add...its much easier to keep a New golf clean compaired to one from 1993 which has had owners that didnt care for it as well as, say we do :wink:

Offline Kingt_mk2

• GTI forum regular
  • you could call it complex simplicity?!
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2008, 09:24 »
my i also add...its much easier to keep a New golf clean compaired to one from 1993 which has had owners that didnt care for it as well as, say we do :wink:

so...so true!! :D

:: 1988 Golf 1.8 16V ::

Offline joesgti

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2008, 09:57 »
i got the megs clay bar, had a go for about half an hour and nothing....... the clay was just as white as when i started??? was i doing something wrong?? :sad:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline green-blood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2008, 12:31 »
sonus grey bars... shifts the deep down stuff the megs kit wont.