Author Topic: Clay Bars  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
Re: Clay Bars
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2008, 13:20 »
I recently used Bilt Hamber AutoClay on my never clayed before 91 vintage Golf.  Was very impressed with the results  :smiley:

Only one downside IMO the stuff is a bit hard, but I gather they now do a soft version.

During a recent, clay, polish, wax detail, I thought the clay step brought about the biggest improvement to the paint  :smiley:

http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html  Elite car care also sell it.

Offline WobGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2008, 16:49 »
guys - n00b pwned clayer here lol...

say I wanted to clay my car tonight - shall I go out and get the megs one from frauds??
Mk5 GTI | Full Leather | Winter Pack

http://www.symesmini.com
http://www.pinkmini.com

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2008, 17:29 »
guys - n00b pwned clayer here lol...

say I wanted to clay my car tonight - shall I go out and get the megs one from frauds??

Yep, all megs products are highly rated.  As with everything people have their favorites.  :wink:

The Megs quik clay kit recommended as a good start by a lot of people (he says hoping Halfords sell it)!  Its the cheaper kit too  :smiley:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/meguiars-quik-clay-kit/prod_226.html

NewGolf

« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2008, 18:50 »
I've just done a full clay on a Mk2 GTI for a good mate of mine, in black, that looks like it hasn't been cleaned from new. Seriously!

I have 4 diff types of clay as I have OCD (my missus tells me), so cracked open the Megs box version with QD. Well using about half a bar and about a third of a bottle of the Quik Detailer, the paints as smooth as glass, door shuts and all. Oh and did the glass with the used bit afterwards.

If you use this and it streaks, doesn't clean the paint or some other gripe, you need to either do it in the shade, warm the clay or change your technique!  :smug: It works fine and is very easy to get on with, hence good for people trying out clay for the first time.  :smiley:

I personally prefer the Zaino clay, Z18, its a great product and I lube with Megs Last Touch watered down 3:1 - water to lube.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2008, 20:59 »
I started with the megs clay bar kit.. It was what first got me into detailing. Its expensive for what it is though.
There are better clays out there which are better vfm.
If you don't have time to buy online and wait for your order then megs from frauds will do the job! :wink:

kells

« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2008, 21:12 »
seriously megs is over rated/priced....paying for fancy packaging!!!....im gonna side with Guy on this one.

Jkctr

« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2008, 14:38 »
Megs have some good products! there detailer sprays are good, as is there wash mitt. Also number 80a dn 83 are very good cutting polishes and number 7 is a very nice glaze!

Offline AnniversaryWul

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2008, 20:55 »
seriously megs is over rated/priced....paying for fancy packaging!!!....im gonna side with Guy on this one.

What do you think the best clay to use is? bearing in mind that im only polishing by hand. Used Megs 2nite, first time ive clayed and was quite impressed by the result. Really smooth paintwork.

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2008, 22:33 »
being a noob ive never clayed... my golf (91) is off the road and when i cleaned it last week the paint work feels terrible not smooth at all. im thinking polishing might sort it.. but im really tempted at Claying... any guides out there? ill probably get the branded stuff from halfrauds for my first attempt.

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 26 September 2008, 23:19 »