Author Topic: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers  (Read 7585 times)

Offline Zoid

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« on: 11 May 2004, 20:55 »
My 1990 8v failed mot today, one of the rears calipers has seized again, mechanic said there was smoke coming off the back wheel as he was driving back from the mot station   :'(
He reckons it's not worth spending the money on the labour to strip down the old ones, and instead better off buying new ones or upgrading.
Phoned up c&r they told me either late mk3 or mk4 calipers, both are the same price, they said the mk3's are more durable but the mk4 are lighter being alloy but do need replacement rear hose kit.
What would be the best to go for, Mk3's or Mk4's, any pro's and con's?? Also I've been told there are earlier and late spec Mk4 calipers, if so what are the differences and which ones to go for?


marcus123

  • Guest
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2004, 20:57 »
hey zoid! :D

sorry to hear about the mot, but thats life man!
id go for mk3 calipers personally.

do you live in notts then mate? ???

Offline Zoid

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2004, 22:26 »
Yeah I know, it's just all coming at once, the exhaust also needs replacing, and the front tyres will need doing shortly, and I've only just paid out for new front calipers, and all other parts needed to upgrade to 256mm front brakes.
Why do you think the mk3 rears are better, both have internal hand brake mechanism?

Oh and I live on the south coast.

golfvr6

  • Guest
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2004, 22:32 »
Hello mate,
Go for mk3 calipers 94 onwards.
These will be a straight swap for the mk2 ones, i believe you need some modding to fit mk4 ones.
If you can get a couple of calipers, i can fit them for 50 quid and bleed them, if you are interested  ;)

Blue MK2

  • Guest
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2004, 11:12 »
VR,

mine need doing aswel. What kind of modding is required?

?40 for mk3 recon ones sound good?

golfvr6

  • Guest
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2004, 11:18 »
Mk3 94 onwards calipers (internal handbrake mech) are a straight swap for mk2 gti 88 onwards (10th letter of chassis code K).

Offline Gambit

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,354
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2004, 17:06 »
you can save yourself 130 by simply sorting out your existing calipers, its only the handbrake rachet pinion on the calipers that is seized

take of the rear wheels
disconnect the handbrake cables
knock the rachet pinion out about 1/2 inch
rub down with wet/dry until smooth again
spray bucket loads of wd40 in around it - let it seep in
smear in grease
knock rachet back in
reconnect everything and give it a good working on the handbrake lever

also, replacing the rachet springs with ford granada items will also help as these are stiffer springs so have more recoil

Offline tobz.

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,629
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2004, 12:12 »
Hey Gambit
One of my rear calipers was sticking slightly so I followed your advice yesterday (disconnecting handbrake, knocking out rachet pinion, wd40 & grease etc).
However when I came to knocking the rachet pinion back in it seemed to be in a slightly different position. I wasn't able to put the bolt that holds the return spring back in without the handbrake being on (if you know what I mean). I then repeated what I had done on the other caliper and blow me it did exactly the same! I've had to leave the return springs off now in order to use it. Has anybody else experienced this???

Toby


You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline richandhazel

  • Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
  • *****
  • Posts: 4,428
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2004, 12:16 »
I'd go for fixing your old ones as Gambit says. With my Audi rear calipers, which are almost exactly the same, it was just one of the sliders that had siezed........only took about half an hour to get it all sorted ;)

A lot cheaper than new calipers

Offline Zoid

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2004, 18:30 »
The previous owner told me for the last 2 mot's the rear calipers had seized, so this is the 3rd time!
My mechanic said it's not worth me spending the money on his labour to strip them down, as they will seize up again, instead either go for new or second hand set.
Think I'll probably go for a set of new mk3 rears and have done.

btw golfvr6 thanks for the offer to do the work for me.