Author Topic: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers  (Read 7595 times)

Offline mk1

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,060
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2004, 18:50 »
When you remove the spring and lever stop bolt and work the hand brake lever to free it, it can over adjust the mechanism. To get around this, rebuild the linkage and wind the piston in enough to get the calliper back on and let the auto adjuster in the calliper take up the play.
Steve.

Offline tobz.

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,629
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2004, 12:30 »
Cheers Steve I will try your suggestion at the weekend, you may have saved me some money (thought I was in for a couple of new calipers).
Hey Gambit should I be looking for any particular age or model of ford granny at the breakers to rob the return springs off???

Toby


You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline Gambit

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,354
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2004, 14:27 »
here's the Ford part numbers for the granada springs

6 141 147
6 141 148

Offline tinman

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,229
Re:Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2004, 13:04 »
The previous owner told me for the last 2 mot's the rear calipers had seized, so this is the 3rd time!
My mechanic said it's not worth me spending the money on his labour to strip them down, as they will seize up again, instead either go for new or second hand set.
Think I'll probably go for a set of new mk3 rears and have done.

btw golfvr6 thanks for the offer to do the work for me.


i'm going against the grain here.

if the calipers have done this twice before - they should be heading for the bin and not the car.

buy new calipers. although the rear brakes dont do much work in comparison to the fronts they shown themselves to be defective and it aint worth taking the risk for a few quid.

tin

Offline Volkswagavin

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 94
Re: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2005, 09:25 »
I need to replace my rear callipers too.  I've had my existing ones cleaned out and lubricated before, but they've seized up again.

At higher speeds I get a continuous high-pitched squeal from the back end, although strangely only when I'm accellerating.

I'm going to have mine replaced with mk3 ones as the cleaning trick is clearly a short-term fix.

When I bought the car the same rear calliper had created so much heat that the wheel bearing had started oozing grease!  Lovelly!  A bit of a swine to clean off your wheels too!

Its a J-reg, 1991 registered, so I guess I'm looking for new late-model mk3 callipers, pads and discs yeah??
Gav
Mk2 Golf GTI 8v - J reg

Offline dommica

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2010, 13:39 »
Hi, I'm reviving this thread from the dead a bit, but what does the ratchet pinion look like? I'm going to attempt this fix on monday, and my brake knowledge is pretty poor.
Cheers,
Dom

Offline porsche

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • 1989 Mk2 8V GTI & Porsche 911 Carrera
Re: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2010, 19:38 »
The cam type adjuster is the part the cable slots onto. Just leaver it out about 3/4 of an inch with a screwdriver & use fine wet & dry paper with WD40 on the exposed part of the mechanism. I used plenty spray copper slip & knocked it up & down until I could move it by hand.
I've had to do this for the last couple of years for the MOT & keep thinking I'll need to replace them but they've always worked okay & passed without any problems.

The Ford Granada springs mentioned above are a good upgrade but you can't get them from Ford  anymore as they're now discontinued. 

If you find a late 80's Granada (MK 3) they're the ones you want. And they're also the same on the Sapphire Cosworth as that's what mine came from. Much harder to fit due to the strong tension of the spring but well worth the trouble.


Offline dommica

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2010, 13:55 »
Still can't find this f**king rachet pinion! I've been aimlessly knocking things with a hammer for half an hour now :(

Offline porsche

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • 1989 Mk2 8V GTI & Porsche 911 Carrera
Re: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2010, 19:18 »
You won't be able to "see" any ratchet as it's inside the cast calliper body. Have a look at the following link :

http://www.oneilcastro.com/A2Bentley/SU02/ch7.2.1.html

The arrow pointing at the actuator lever??? This is the part you want to leaver out & do as described in my last post.

Hope this makes more sense.


Offline dommica

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 51
Re: Failed MOT, seized rear calipers
« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2010, 23:04 »
sweet, cheers.
Will have a go tomorrow.